Hotel

Jan 26th, 2001, 05:13 AM
katie

Hotel

We are going to San Juan and are looking for a nice hotel that is over 200 a night. Any suggestions?

Jan 26th, 2001, 07:22 AM
mariarosa

Katie,
Could you tell us more about what you are looking for and how long you are going to stay? Since you say that you want a hotel for over $200 a night I am assuming that you want a boutique hotel or a resort. El Convento in Old San Juan is great and very charming. A friend of mine spent part of her honeymoon in some suite with a great view on the top floor. Since it is located in Old San Juan you can walk to shops and restaurants, however, there is no beach there. If you want a beach, I recommend staying in Isla Verde at the Wyndham El San Juan - beautiful lobby and beach or The San Juan Grand, which is also on Isla Verde beach. These two are somewhere between a hotel and a resort.

If you are not committed to staying in San Juan, there are resorts that are bigger and offer more facilities. El Conquistador is the most impressive of them - it's gorgeous. The Westin and the Hyatts are good too. Tell us more of what you are looking for and we will be able to rpovide more specific information.

Jan 26th, 2001, 08:17 AM
JLR

Mariaroasa -- do you have any knowledge of the Milano hotel in Old San Juan? I'm staying there 1 night on my way to Copamarina.

Jan 26th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Adrienne

Katie,
Another place to consider in Old San Juan is The Gallery Inn. It has a great location and is very unique. Check out www.thegalleryinn.com. Good Luck.

Jan 26th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Mariarosa

JLR - I have not seen the inside of the hotel Milano, but I recently met some people at the San Juan airport who had to stay there for 1 night (they were coming back from a cruise and the cruise was late and they missed their 7:00 AM flight, and all the other flights were booked, so they were forced to spend the night). While they were not happy about their missed flight, they were very happy with the hotel Milano. They said their room had a charming view of the old streets. From the outside, it looks very nice, and it's location is great - you can walk from there to anywhere in Old San Juan.

Also, my in-laws stayed at the Copamarina a couple of years ago. They enjoyed it. Make sure to go to Guilligan's and Ballena for beach time as the beach at the Copamarina is very narrow. Also do not miss La Parguera in Lajas. Try to go during a dark night (no moon or cloudy). Besides the phosphorecent bay, La Parguera is a lively town, during the weekends, when people from other parts of the island come to hang out and eat fresh fish.

Jan 26th, 2001, 12:11 PM
JLR

Thanks for the info. We have been to PR several times and have seen a few of the places you mention (Gilligans Is., La Parguera and phosp. bay.) I'm looking forward to seeing Ponce for the 1st time and will definitely check out Bellena. Thanks again!