COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Rosewood Hotel/Martineau on Vieques

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Allison

Rosewood Hotel/Martineau on Vieques

Has anyone stayed at this hotel yet? I think it just opened. It looks beautiful on the web site..

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Jeff

The website doesn't really mention that two thirds of the island are used as a bombing range by the Navy. The bomb training is done on a secret schedule so you cannot plan around it.

I visited the island two years ago, just before the Navy killed a civilian observer and had a great time. There was no bombing when we there and the beaches were beautiful. Since then, the natives have become much more vocal in their anger toward the US government. Unemployment runs around 30% and there have been some puzzling health problems among the islanders.

The resort may be nice, but I want you to be sure you know where you are going. This is not a typical tourist island.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want more info.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Allison

Thank you so much for the info. I had heard about the Navy there but had no idea there were any problems like those you mentioned. I don't think I will be visiting there anytime soon..

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 11:42 AM
anonymous

Allison,

There was a recent article on Culebra & Vieques in Caribbean magazine. They mentioned that Martineau was supposed to open in 1999, then late 2000, then 2001...with golf and spa still 2 years away (prices look outrageous). They also mentioned Inn On the Blue Horizon, which sounded small & wonderful, less glitzy, has a great restaurant.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Jeff

The Inn on the Blue Horizon is where we stayed and it was an extremely cool place. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the island.