Hospital/doctor in BVI

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Hospital/doctor in BVI

Hi. I am 6 months pregnant and will be staying in Virgin Gorda next week. While my OB has told me it's fine to go, I'm a little nervous that it sounds like there's really no healthcare to speak of on Virgin Gorda.

I'm assuming Tortola has a hospital and perhaps some specialty physicians but am just wondering if anyone can speak to what they would do / where they would go if they had any medical problems while on Virgin Gorda. Thanks!

Penny
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM

www.traveltalkonline , bvi forum..those you post there are very knowledgeable about the bvi's. i'm sure you'll get the info you need.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM

I'd imagine that anything that couldn't be handled by the local clinics on VG would be sent to St THomas or on to San Juan for healthcare.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. Tess, I checked out traveltalkonline, and you're right -- I received several very good responses with phone numbers of various clinics and reassurances. Thanks!

Penny
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM

St. Thomas recently acquired some state of the art equipment for their neonatal unit. Immediately in the Virgin Islands, it's probably the most advanced. Puerto Rico (@25 minute flight away) is most advanced within 100 miles. They also have emergency helicopters which fly people to the appropriate facility. If your doctor thinks you'll be okay, you'll probably be fine. IMO, I'd just take it easy and relax and enjoy.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:55 AM

If I were you, I'd book travel insurance that has a medical plan to airlift you to an american hospital if need be.

I highly recommend travelinsured.com

Peace