St. John and ???

Jan 27th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

St. John and ???

My husband and I are headed to St. John for seven days in late May. Will there be enough to do or should we consider spending a couple of days/nights on other islands? I am really not interested in St. Thomas at all. We are just looking for somewhere to relax, enjoy water sports/hiking/beaches and good food. Any thoughts? I have read alot about Virgin Gorda and Tortola - which would make the most sense (if any at all) from St. John? Are these just day trips? Any other places we should consider? This is our first trip to the Caribbean. Thanks!
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Hi bakpakr! We'll be on St. John just a few weeks before you. I pondered the same question and deduced that St. John probably has plenty to keep us busy for at least a week. So many just keep going back over and over.

Last week we got notice that one of our return flights got cancelled and we were forced to rethink our dates. We decided to go to Old San Juan, Puerto Rico for a couple of nights to get a different atmosphere and a little "city" life to east us back home. We'll be flying home from there.
Have a great trip and be sure to post a trip report when you get back.
Maggi
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:37 PM

One more thing, if you are really into nature and like kayaking you might want to check into the bio bay on Vieques, Puerto Rico. I would do this in a heartbeat but we will be there during a full moon. The conditions of the moon would be perfect when you are there.
Here's the website:
http://www.biobay.com/
Jan 27th, 2005, 05:35 PM

I have not been to STJ yet, but have been doing a lot of homework to find out options for things to do. Right now, my plan is to use STJ as a "home base" and explore the BVI while there. There are powerboat trips, cats and ferries to get you where you want to go. I would like to go to STJ for five nights and BVI for two (specifically Jost Van Dyke) but per this forum was told that this might be a little ambitious so to speak. There are ferries to the islands that run on certain days.
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:11 AM

In regard to the "ambitious", the issue was getting from JVD in the morning to STT for a flight the same day.
Jan 28th, 2005, 02:29 PM

bakpakr, I wouldn't worry too much about running out of things to do on STJ in just 7 days. There are lots of different beaches to explore & snorkle, hikes to do and excursions like a day charter to Virgin Gorda, etc. We were there first for our honeymoon for a week and this past May for 2 weeks and although we did relax part of the time, we don't get bored and really enjoy the island.

You can always take a ferry to some of the BVI's for a day in between if you start to feel restless. Not a big deal to decide at the last minute.

Have a great time! I can't wait to return. Trish