Reload this Page >

Honeymoon-St.Thomas/Ritz anyone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:33 AM
debbie

We are about to book our honeymoon at the ritz carlton in st. thomas for end of august. i have been to aruba and thought it was okay- i am hesitant , because i have also been to Maui and thought it was paradise- we cannot travel that far and we only have a week, so i thought this ritz would be ok...my concerns.... <BR>1) does st thomas look impoverished? <BR>2) if i book at the ritz- do i need to book an oceanview- which building offers the best location and view?i.e, Alamanda, begonia, or eugenia? <BR>any help would be appreciated. <BR>also- did anyone take the submarine ride??? <BR>thanks!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Karen

There are some residental areas on the island that do look "impoverished" by some squeeky clean stateside comparisons. And there are some very "urban"-looking areas in and around Charlotte Amalie. <BR>The Ritz is out on the far East End of the island and has very nice residental areas nearby as well as some condos next door (but you don't see or view them from the resort). The Ritz is the "best" STT has to offer and the property is lovely. A smallish beach, great restaurants, excellent service and an infinity pool overlooking Pillsbury Sound and St. John that is delightful. The only thing that would compete with the Ritz would be Caneel Bay on nearby St. John or you could head to the BVI's and some of the "luxury" resorts there. You would just change planes in SJU and go to Beef Island or Virgin Gorda instead of STT. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:42 PM
Mike

Yes, the Ritz is quite a beautiful property, but quite frankly, the "look" of the island will leave you in SHOCK compared to Maui, that much I can guarantee you!! Good luck!!

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 06:59 AM
lawry

After your taxi ride to the resort who cares what you drive through,the resort is first class and the down town is fun. We had a great time at the ritz, i would go back in a minute. The rooms , the grounds, the pool, the rest. are the best. Have fun.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 10:11 AM
debbie

thank you for your responses. I would still appreciate some advice on the rooms at the ritz.....Which category should i book..garden or ocean? and which building do you think would give me the best view? do you need to rent a car? <BR>thanks for your assistance!!! <BR>debbie

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Gai;

Hi Debbie, <BR>I leave for Ritz friday- Will post a trip report when I get back, but from my understanding even the garden view rooms are waterview- in any event, if you have some specific concerns, e mail me and I'll try to find the answers! I'm east coast and have done Maui twice- for me the travel time was horrendous, but this is our 2nd visit to STT this year. (stayed at Frenchman's Reef last in Feb.)

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Karen

Sorry but I was looking for my "map" of the property and the room/building locations and can't find it. Yes, I think it is a definite advantage to rent a car since the location is out of the Eastern most end of the island. Taxis are readily available and charge per person but the fares can add up quickly especially if you want to dine in FrenchTown or take trips into Charlotte Amalie. You can rent from one of the agencies that let the vehicles be taken on the ferry to St. John if you want to explore there on your own as well. If you are leaving the Ritz more than once a day or exploring on your own, the car rental might be a "break even" but for convenience, it is great! Driving on the left is not difficult and you adjust quickly - just watch those right hand turns!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 10:07 AM
DEBBIE

GAI; <BR>HAVE A GREAT TIME...PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH ROOM CATEGORY DID YOU BOOK, AND IF YOU CAN TELL ME WHICH BUILDING TO STAY IN...THAT WOULD BE CLOSE TO THE MAIN BUILDING , BUT STILL OFFER NICE RESORT & OCEAN VIEWS...I HEARD BEGONIA IS NICE. ARE YOU RENTING A CAR? ARE YOU TAKING THE SUBMARINE RIDE ? LET ME KNOW HOW ARE THE ROOMS..THEY JUST REDECORATED -DO THEY HAVE SEPARATE SHOWERS FROM THE TUB? ARE YOU ABLE TO BE ON THE TOP FLOOR IF YOU GET A GARDERN VIEW? WHICH RESTUARANTS WILL YOU TRY? THANKS-HAVE A SAFE TRIP....LOOK FORWARD TO HEAR ABOUT IT. I WONDER HOW IT WILL COMPARE TO MAUI????? I DONT FEEL LIKE TRAVELING THAT FAR AND I AM HOPING THIS RESORT WILL COMPARE. HOW IS THE WORK OUT ROOM THERE? ANYWAY-THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Susie

Hi Debbie, <BR> <BR>Just spent 30 minutes writing you a long post, and for some reason, it didn't register! <BR> <BR>Here's the highlights. You can email me for more info. <BR> <BR>1 - just like anywhere else, there are areas that look impoverished. <BR> <BR>2 - the water around St. Tom is so pretty - I would want Oceanview. The island has nice tradewinds on the eastern & southern shores - north & west are very hot. I'm talking about April, so in August ... might want to book oceanview just for the breeze. <BR> <BR>3 - did the sub ride. Am glad we did it because we can say we've been in a sub. However, we are both divers & snorkelers, and it does not compare. You do go to 90 feet, reduced visibility, but you might enjoy it. Word of caution: they only go if the sub is full. Buy your tickets for early in the day -- we bought for 11 am and got the 2 pm ride. If we had waited for an afternoon ride, we would not have gotten onboard. <BR> <BR>Karen & Mike are right on. Comparing St. Tom and Maui would be like comparing night & day or oil & water. Don't spend your time there comparing it to Hawaii. Look about, and enjoy it for itself. <BR> <BR>Check out a daysail - we do them at every island we visit, and the Heavenly Days out of Bolongo Bay in St. Tom is the best we've ever experienced. <BR> <BR>Write me if you want more info.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 03:51 AM
Lynn McKamey (ScubaMom)

The Ritz-Carlton is first class and a wonderful place to stay. You can read my report at www.scubamom.com/caribbean/ take the Ritz link. <BR> <BR>Take a ferry to St. John to see great beaches (the ferry is only a few minutes away from the Ritz and they will be glad to help you plan a day trip. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:43 AM
BA

Concur. Ritz is a great property. I would stay there except for the excursions downtown. We always taxied, but whatever works for you. <BR>You can do a boat dive right from the property if you scuba. <BR>Waterfront is definately worth it. <BR>Staff and service is great. <BR> <BR>Definately plan your trip to St Johns. we went impromptu and 1/2 of things were closed. That may be a fun island to rent a jeep and drive around. <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Kerri

My b/f and I are leaving 7/27/01 to stay at the Ritz. He has been there before and is VERY particular about accommodations. He would not consider staying anywhere else. I think from his feedback, you would love it...I will let you know what I thought after we get back on the 12th of August. good Luck