Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon planning in the Caribbean (Help Needed)

Old Jan 18th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone!

I've been reading a lot of comments to get suggestions for our honeymoon but thought it might be best to start my own message so that we can get your thoughts based on our "wants" for a great honeymoon.

We will be traveling in early August 2011 and staying for 7 nights. Some of the places we are considering are Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Virgin Islands, St Lucia, and the Virgin Islands. Right now we don't want to go to Mexico, Jamaica, or Cayman Islands as we have been to these places before. However, we are open to other places if you have one that you think fits our needs.

Things to we want in our honeymoon........

***Great Beach and with some privacy. (no fighting for chairs in the morning)

***Cottage type feel to the resort. We would like to find a resort that at least feels small and cozy. We don't want to feel like we're in a hotel room..

***Adults only...preferably no children (negotiable)

***Close enough where we can walk or drive safely to a populated area to shop and dine with local establishments. We want to explore and not spend all our time during the day on the resort.

Right now our budget is $2500-$3500 for the resort.

We've been visiting Fodors.com and Luxuarylink.com for suggestions. Let me know if you have another great travel website that we might want to consider.

We REALLY appreciate your help!!!!!!!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Grenada would also be a good choice - it has all the things that you are looking for in the Grand Anse area - walking distance to shops, restaurants, banks, supermarkets, local buses - and several hotels located along a 2-mile stretch of white-sand beach. Grenada can be as active or peaceful as you want it to be - pure rest and relaxation or as many activities as you wish to get involved in - hiking, mountain biking, river-tubing, snorkelling at the world's 1st Underwater Snorkel Park, watersports and cruises - Pirate's cruise, sunset cruises, etc. The island is known as the Spice Island and is famous for great cuisine as a little 'spice' is added to every dish ... tour old spice plantation estates to see how spices are processed; visit the rainforest, waterfalls, forts and a range of beautiful, peaceful beaches. There are several hotels along the Grand Anse beach and surrounding areas to choose from - you will have a great time in Grenada!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM

Harbor Island in the Bahamas...gorgeous pink sand beach..small/intimate..several dining options outside the resort..very cute town...upscale feel...option to take a day trip to Eleuthera and explore other beaches etc
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:21 PM

Check out White Bay Villas & Cottages on Jost Van Dyke, BVI, next to Tortola. www.jostvandyke.com. It's the most romantic place I've ever been to in my life. If I ever get married again, this is where I want to have my honeymoon. You'll feel like you have the Island to yourself, especially in August. It's not a resort though. Staff is top notch!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 07:16 PM

I think Bermuda is beautiful. August is perfect to go there. There are many cottage hotels, like The Reefs Club. Very nice, good food. Town is a short bus or cab ride away. It is low-key nightlife. I just think it is a very nice pretty island.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 05:04 AM

www.jalousieplantation.com

www.nisbetplantation.com

Congrats!
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Think you should consider that August is in the middle of hurricane season, so Grenada is probably your best option. we have been there 3 times & enjoy La source, which has plenty to do, including a spa treatment everyday & also NO children. Have a wonderful wedding & honeymoon.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Check out Sandals Royal Bahamian In Nassau. Beautiful place to honeymoon. Also check out Sandals Exuma.This place is just awesome. On the out islands of the bahamas you can really relax and veg out.Check out www.tropictravelonline.com .There is tons of info on this web site. Believe it or not you can you can see some great video of resorts on youtube.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 09:15 AM

By the way I always travel during hurricane season. As Sandals has a hurricane guarantee.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Look into the island hopper package (if available) at Little Dix Bay (Virgin Gorda) and Caneel Bay (St. John). Start at Little Dix for much-needed R & R post-wedding, and then move over to Caneel. You will love both properties---very nice, amazing food and service and lovely accommodations! When you get to St. John, you can go into Cruz Bay for dinner, shopping etc. Have fun planning and best wishes!