Honeymoon help-January travel

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon help-January travel

My fiance and I will be honeymooning in Jan 2008 and I am exhausting myself searching for the perfect location....leaning towards St. John, Bahamas, Anguilla, but need so much HELP in deciding. Have been considering Ti Kaye Village in St. Lucia, Garden By the Sea B&B or Gallows Point in St. John, as well as Hope Town or George Town in Bahamas..

Here's what we want:
-Non-mega resort accommodations....do not want to see beaches lined with resorts and children (not for this trip), leaning towards villa with kitchen if we can buy some decent food...price range $2000-3000/week (w/out air)
-Spa or massage options
-Day trips....snorkeling, sailing, fishing, hiking, ruins/plantations, biking,
-We aren't really big on laying on the beach, but would like to visit them or have one nearby for snorkeling
-Beach bar...drinks, pool
-Lots of places to eat...walking distance would be great
-Clean rooms, linens, showers...would love a nice large shower or jacuzzi tub

Package deals vs. pay as you go?? I haven't seen many package deals beyond the generic resort vacation that aren't super expensive....

Does this place exist or am I dreaming it up in my head....this will be our first real vacation together after almost five years...we are so ready to relax!!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:43 PM

Ti Kaye in St Lucia is fabulous, but not near to anything for stocking with food. Their restaurant is excellent, however, and you would not be disappointed in the location. On Sundays they tend to get private boats pulling in for picnics, lunch, etc, otherwise no many kids. What about Ladera, also in St Lucia? Would make for a very special honeymoon location.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:18 AM

I don't have any advice on the specific places, but after taking a honeymoon to Barbados last year, my advice is to visit the place that takes the least time to get to. After flying 3 hours from DFW to MIA, waiting a couple hours, then 3 more hours to Barbados, I felt like we lost a full day both there and back. If you're going for a couple of weeks, its not as big of a deal, but sounds like you're planning on just about a week. Good luck with your planning, both wedding and honeymoon!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:59 AM

If you are going in January you might want to skip the Bahamas. It can get fairly cool there at that time of year.

Theres' a big difference in the other islands you are considering and some on your list don't offer everying you are seeking. Perhaps this will help narrow your choices:

Anguilla - flat scrubby island with little natural vegetation, 35 fabulous uncrowded white sand beaches, bright blue torquoise water, modest snorkeling, over 80 restaurants (some among the best and most expensive in the Caribbean) but few will be within walking distance of where you'll eventually stay, numerous rental villas but none actually "beachfront", not much hiking, no ruins to explore, biking limited because many roads unpaved, several upscale resorts with spa services, a few beach bars, very little nightlife, some deep sea fishing but don't expect to catch trophy fish. Some sailing opportunities.

St. John - hilly, somewhat lush island, with attractive palmtree lined smaller cove-like light golden sand beaches lapped by calm blue waters, excellent off-beach and off-shore snorkeling, excellent diving, 2/3's of the island is a National Park so there's ample opportunity for hiking although you won't find many ruins to explore. Because of hilly terraine and twisty roads not condusive to biking. A decent selection of restaurants most concentrated in main town of Cruz Bay. Lots of rental villas but few will be within walking distance of restaurants and shops. A couple of beach bars and not much nightlife. Spa services available at the the upscale Caneel Bay Resort and at the Westin. Some decent deep sea fishing (better in winter), the USVI's and BVI's are the sailing capital of the Caribbean.

St. Lucia - larger mountainous island with lush rain forests, small dark sand beaches (the only light sand beach on the island is man-made), darker steel blue waters, average to below average snorkeling, restaurants, bars and resorts are very spread out so you'll need transportation. Roands very hilly and twisty - not condusive to biking, lots of old ruins to explore, not too much sailing, snorkeling just average, some diving.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

I was wondering about the Bahamas and January weather....we are from Maine so anything will feel warmer to us, but I would still like for the water to be warm and to enjoy the snorkeling.

Would it matter if we went further south in the bahamas? We like the cottge/Cape Cod feel that we have seen in the Bahama islands....and it appears to be generally safe.

How about Turks & Caicos? Dining, Tours, beach bars, spas?? Easy to get to?

thanks!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:29 AM

Bahamas are iffy temperaturewise in January. Waters can also be cool. Obviously the further south you go the better your chances are but truthfully I'd avoid any of them in January.

I've been to the T&C's in December and January and found the temperatures pleasant but remember unless someone wh been there year in and year out during January you'll get only anecdotal information.

You can research historical weather and temperature records for the Bahamas (and any other island) at the following web-sites:

www.weatherbase.com

www.wunderground.com

Check the data and decide for yourself if the temperature meets your expectations.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:53 AM

Hi epaine,

Sounds like Jalousie would be perfect for you.

http://www.islandinns.com/33.html

We stayed at Stonefield Villas a few years ago and loved it, but it sounds like you want something that has AC and is more part of a resort w/spa services. We went to Jalousie's beach (beautiful imported white sand and is smack in between the pitons-very lush and tropical) and great beach bar. They have villas too that you can rent. You'd have to drive to get to other restaurants, but Jalousie does have restaurants of it's own you can go to, and there are restaurants in nearby driving distance (Dasheen at Ladera and the restaurant at Stonefiled). There is snorkeling right out front (it was pretty good), and you can catch water taxis/rides from the beach too. There is plenty to do in St. Lucia too for day trips-rainforest hike, hiking the pitet or gros piton if youíre up for it, horseback riding with great views, volcano hike, and Friday night fish fry (great time!). You can take a short water taxi ride over to the town of Soufriere or to Anse Chastenet hotel which has a great beach bar and a black sand beach.

It looks like mountain biking is huge in St. Lucia-check out this site. We didnít go biking as Iím embarrassed to say but Iíve forgotten how to ride a bike! Is that even possible? But this site did look nice! (we did get our exercise hiking up the Pitet Piton though-that was a big challenge!)

http://www.bikestlucia.com/

Here are my trip pix if that helps your decision making process at all. Good luck!!!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...fromshare&Ux=0

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM

sorry-here's Jalousie's actual site:

http://www.thejalousieplantation.com/content/87.htm
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kelly,
That's funny...I actually looked at your pics yesterday in another forum. I was seriously considering St. Lucia for awhile..because of Stonefield being more affordable for us...and I love the plunge pool...but then I saw the large spider in your pics and heard so much about the "no-seeums" that I am wondering if I really want the rain forest accommodations....I also am a little skeptical about St. Lucia's beaches and not being able to readily walk to other resturaunts and bars....

I think I am leaning toward St. John...it seems like the Cruz Bay area has a lot of atmosphere that we are looking for, and the beaches, snorkeling, and resturaunts come highly reccommended. Hopefully I can find some type of spa/massage services there....we really need it!!

Thanks for the responses.....am I heading in the right direction with St. John??

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:26 PM

Hi epaine,
Too funny! The tarantulas didn't bother us, but I could see how some people would be freaked out by it. The no-seeums/mosquitos were pretty bad, but you get that pretty much anywhere in the islands. Just bring bug spray and you'll be good to go. I'd go back to Stonefield in a heartbeat (if there weren't so many other darned places tempting me!) but it definitely is not like a Sandals type place, which I'm thinking you might want more of for your honeymoon (although it is very romantic).

We're going to St. John in September for our first visit there, so I'll let you know how it goes, but by then hopefully you'll have something booked already. I've only heard good things about St. John, so I don't think you can go wrong. From what I hear, Caneel is very nice. It sounds like there are only a few hotels on the island from what research Iíve done. There are plenty of people on this forum who can help you with St. John questions. Try posting a new subject about honeymooning in St. John.

And congratulations!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM

We have stayed at Gallow's Point three times in the last fifteen months, so I think I'm up to date . If you have any specific questions, let me know. Although Cruz Bay isn't for everyone, we like it. Gallow's Point is perfect for walking into town for dinner at night and maybe going to a pub. Except for a few places though, the town shuts down pretty early.

I'll try to answer some of your other questions.

non mega resort- Gallow's is a 60 unit condo complex that is basically run as a "hotel" with daily maid service, fresh towls etc. They don't allow kids under 12, and the VERY few that we did see there were well behaved. There is a very quiet pool area and hot tub. I think the rates will go up for 2008, so price range could be an issue depending on unit category.

Day trips etc- Very easy to day trip from STJ. We love the BVI's and Jost Van Dyke is a "must do" for us. Plenty of day trips available and very good snorkeling. Fishing can get expensive as you have to get your own charter. There are hiking trails galore on STJ from easy to advanced. There are also ample ruins to explore. Annaberg at the end of the North Shore Road is definitely worth a look.

Beach bar- None at Gallow's. Serve yourself from your condo Also, no real beach. The area is nice enough, but the beach is rocky and requires use of the swim platform and some sand bags for entry.

Places to eat- More than you could fit into your honeymoon. Food is not really what I would consider cheap. Plenty of grocery stores to stock up on some items. Need a car to really get around. I speak from experience. We have done the trip without one.

Rooms- I think all of the units have a "wart" or two, but nothing that would stop us from staying there again. Plenty of clean linens are supplied. The condo only has a shower, no tub. There is a jacuzzi by the pool.

Good luck with finding your perfect honeymoon spot.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kellybeaches and brenandg...I appreciate the insight. After many hours of research and recommendations this weekend, I think that I am leaning towards Estate Lindholm in St. John, although I have certainly considered villa accommodations such as Gallows Point. I think it would be good for us to be around other people who can make suggestions and help us book day trips....at least for our first trip to the island.

I posted in the St. John forum if anyone wants to continue chatting and sharing ideas.

Thanks again! I'll be sure to post a TR after our stay...