honeymoon in usvi

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honeymoon in usvi

I recently got married and we are trying to plan a honeymoon to usvi in september of this year.....I have been reading all about the islands and trying to decide....we are looking for a smaller resort with a beach....I have read all the crime worries of st.croix, the recent shootings in st.thomas, and the amount of time it takes to get to and from st.john. I travel the world for work, but have never been to these islands. Any suggestions would be great. Also, after reading reviews, I am now in fear that eating is not an option in the islands due to the price. We are a couple in our 30s, and I think we are mostly looking for beach type activities...night life is not important.
Thank you for any help with this....I have been checking all the travel websites, just need a push toward the right island and the right accomodations.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Since you say "I am now in fear that eating is not an option in the islands due to the price" that tell me (us) that you are under some type of budget restraint, however, you have not told us what that budget actually is. The amount you have available for airfare and travel related expenses, accomdoations and food as well as for extracurricular activities will have a large bearing on which island you visit, how long you can stay and what type of hotel/resort accomodations you can afford. So the first thing you need to tell us is what is your budget for the above items? Give us an actual dollar amount - don't use terms like "affordable", "reasonably priced", "won't break the bank", etc. as they are meaningless without a point of reference. Also, getting back to your reference about eating - was that meant to convey you want an "All Inclusive" resort or one that offers a meal plan? I'm pretty sure you did notmean you weren't planning to eat at all during you vacation but we need to know what you actually meant by that statement.

Since your tag indicates an interest in the USVI's you should know St. Thomas is the most crowded of the islands, St. Croix is less crowded but has fewer "tourist oriented activities" and St. John is the most expensive of the three.

Help us help you - give us more information like where are you flying from, how long do you plan on staying???? And, of course, the budget info suggested above.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:36 AM

lol do not fear - you will find affordable dining options on any island.
as well, i don't know where ppl are getting the idea that caribbean travel is unsafe - it's not. i am single and travel with a girlfriend who's husband does not like the islands (silly man). we've never been scared on any of 7 islands or in mexico (maya riviera area only). if you take normal precautions i.e. do not the leave camera in open car, lock doors at night, don't walk alone late at night after being in the bars you should be fine. if you research carefully, most crime is between islanders.
a perfect place for a honeymoon is secret harbour beach resort on st. thomas. (and they do have nightwatchmen who are around all night) all the rooms are condo style so you can save quite a bit of money having breakfast, lunches and some of your cocktails in your room. a one bedroom in blding #3 or #4 would be ideal. each unit has a patio or deck. the beach is gorgeous with enough shade for when you want it with very good snorkeling off the beach. there is a very good patio dining restaurant ON the beach on site - the blue moon cafe. blue moon also has small fun beach bar with some tables where you can get "beach food" (less $$ than in real restaurant). you will need to rent a car unless you seriously plan to hang on the beach all the time.
grocery store with very cheap liquor dept. is 10 mins.
10 mins the other direction is the small town of red hook with some of less expensive dining and the ferry to st. john. ferry is easy, a pretty ride and takes 20 mins.
st. john is much more laid back than st. t but has pricey hotels. if you & your bride wanted to do of most of your cooking, most ppl rent villas to stay on st. john. few villas are actually on the beach but many have pools. it has several reasonable restaurants. tons of pretty beaches with good snorkeling and hiking in the nat'l park. rental car more or less required.
have not been to st. croix yet.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Our budget is 2-3k and we are coming from chicago. I have looked at many package deals in the range of 1300-2200 that would include air and hotel. We are thinking 4-5 nights...and no it does not have to be inclusive. I noticed that there are a few inclusive resorts, but they seem to be huge places with a million people.
I have looked at a few places on st.croix.....carambola, chenay bay, and some beach cottages. I have looked at gallows point in st.john....and I am stumbling on st.thomas because of the large hotel like resorts. I am not against these, it just seems very city and less beach. I will check out the secret harbour....haven't seen that one yet. Thank you again for any ideas.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Gallows Point (St. John) gets very good reviews on this and other travel forums. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

Personally, if you don't like the idea of a large resort.hotel or an island like St. Thomas because it's too built up you really should consider St. John. 2/3's of the island is a National Park, it's has plenty of great beaches, some very good dining options (in all price ranges) and a few nice shops in the Cruz Bay area. While 25+ years of travel in the Caribbean has taught there's no such thing a a "perfect island", St. John is as near perfect island as an island can get.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 04:39 PM

your budget is not huge but doable. checked air and st. thomas is around $300 while st. croix is closer to $500 per person.
what resorts have you found the $1300-2200 deals for?
i agree that st. thomas is a very busy island, but secret harbour is an oasis of peace & quiet.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

I was looking at cheapcaribbean.com.....the packages on there are in that range if you do both air and hotel....but then you do have to choose a hotel that they offer.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM

We've been going to Croix for 15 years, and the only part of the island that I consider less than completely safe is the west end Frederiksted area, and then only after dark. In any of these islands you will definitely need to budget for a car (probably a jeep). If you haven't been to any of the islands before, I think that St John is probably your best bet - very friendly, low key, low crime, and the wow factor of all of the line of sight islands for day tripping.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Not sure where you are flying from but there some great deals to be had on USAirways righ now through next summer. I just booked tix from the DC area for $238 including all taxes. I think St. John would be best for a honeymoon. Check out the new Grand Bay Resort in Cruz bay on VRBO. You can get a nice condo at a good rate if you rent directly from an owner. And since you'll have a kitchen, you can cook some meals in the condo and save money, Great sunset views from Grande Bay too.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 03:06 AM

I would agree with Secret Harbour (see www.secretharbourvi.com ) on St. Thomas. You get a real beachfront resort, which you cannot do on St.John for the money. But it's close to the ferry to St.John for a memorable day trip to Cruz Bay, the National Park, and some wonderful beaches on the north shore.