Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon In October...Sandals, Aruba or St. Thomas

Jul 1st, 2002, 12:56 PM
Nikki

I have recently beenlooking for our honeymoon destination. I was set on a sandals but then heard about these planes flying over Royan Caribbean. I decided to go with Dunn's River Falls.. but now I have decided to broaden my search. My fiance wants to go somewhere warm, by the beach, but we need some activities.
Never been outside of the U.S. and never been to anything AI! I need some help.
Thank you for your advise!

Jul 1st, 2002, 04:27 PM
Bud

Nikki, What are you looking for in a honeymoon? Do you have a budget? Prices vary widely, depending on what you are looking for. If you can give some more information, maybe posters to this board can give you some in-depth recommendations.

Jul 1st, 2002, 05:31 PM
Twigs

Nikki - Of course this is just my opinion... but if you've never beenout of the US & you're on your honeymoon I would go with an AI. They have all the activities that you could possibly want already included in your price plus you won't have to make decisions regarding where to eat at night (like hiring a cab, making ressies, etc.) I love Sandals and if you want warm & beach look at Sandals Negril or Antigua. Of course, this is my opinion!

Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:19 AM
Penney

I have been to both Sandals Dunn's and Royal and planes are really not a bother at Royal - it is over Sandals MoBay that they are constant but not at Royal. IT is a beautiful rsort. Small beach but great island, gardens, food and service. Very laid back.

Sandals Dunn's is pretty much an opposite from Royal. It is far more active and honestly, we have been to many Sandals and Dunn's is the one that Iwould not go back too. This is just based on what we personally seek in a resort but Dunn's is very active and party like, huge pools but TONS of decking which I do not want in the Caribbean. We just like more beach, less pool and a more tropical, laid back atmosphere but there are people who absolutely love it there as it does look like great fun it that is the type of resort you are looking for.

I tend to agree with the last post who recommended NEgril or Antigua - both are beautiful, very tropical resorts and two of our favorites. Beaches are very nice, waters are calm and clear, very relaixing and romantic but still enough activity to choose from. Sandals Ocho is also a good pick - the books do not do this resort justice as it is jsut so beautiful and lush.

Penney

Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:09 PM
Trish

Although there are planes that fly over MoBay, after the first 24 hours you don't even hear them anymore. There are many things worth exploring in Jamaica. It really is a beautiful island. It's warm and the multi-hued waters and sandy beaches would appeal to your fiance. You need to be careful - we always had the cabdriver stay with us - but there are lots of activities at Sandals at night. Take it all in, from the Blue Mountain coffee in the morning to the watersports. You will meet a lot of nice people and will enjoy the restaurants and food.

Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:21 PM
Nikki

Trish,
Thank you for replys thus far. I really appreciate them!
I am just confused when everyone has a different say on the whole sandals resorts. I know everyone has their different opinions, but since it is my honeymoon, I want to try to make everything perfect (even though that won't happen)
Like I said earlier, I was interested in Aruba, but then again, some people love it, some don't.
I want to stay in the $4,000 price range. So, if you have other opinions, I am up to hearing them. I haven't made any final decisions..
Thanks again.

Jul 19th, 2002, 12:33 PM
thrix

I've been to St. Thomas once, Aruba about ten times. Aruba is a great place for a honeymoon. Remember there's always people who dislike something, more power to them, but according to travel statistics, Aruba, by far, has the highest traveler return rate of any Carribean island. So they must do something right.
Good Luck with your marriage.

Jul 19th, 2002, 12:49 PM
JENN

Just back from our honeymoon in Aruba had a great time. My husband was never outside of the us so I didnt want him to have a culture shock. I have been to Jamacia, Bahamas etc so i knew what to expect. Aruba was by far the best destination. Plenty of activity and restuarnts to choose from you dont need AI in aruba it isnt necessary (too many places to choose from). We stayed at the Radisson. Just find out as much as you can about it. Cause we loved it.

Jul 19th, 2002, 01:02 PM
cdt

Normally I would pick St. Thomas over Aruba, but October is hurricane season and your odds of having good weather are better in Aruba.

St. Thomas and Jamaica have more lush, hilly scenery and you shouldn't go to Aruba unless you're OK with a desert-like environment.

If snorkeling is extremely important to you, go to St. Thomas.

You will be best able to explore safely on your own in Aruba; least able in Jamaica; St. Thomas is in between.

All-inclusive is probably a good idea in Jamaica; a bad idea in Aruba (in my opinion); St. Thomas can go either way.

Best LONG stretches of beach in Aruba and Negril; clearest water in St. Thomas, with pretty little beaches (and you can daytrip to St. John, Tortola, etc.).

Jul 20th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Trish

Nikki,
Sorry, I just saw your post now.
My husband and I actually got married in Hawaii, so I understand how important your choice is to you. These are going to be your lifetime memories. As you stated, there are a lot of extreme opinions on Sandals on this forum. Sandals MoBay was the first carribbean destination for us. We were very happy with the watersports, the excursions we took, the dining and the water. For us, an AI was a great place to start. We had been told about the poverty, but it was still a culture shock. The AI helped to bridge that for us.
As far as Aruba goes,we haven't been there, so I can't comment. But, remember, there are people that don't like Aruba, but there are just as many that do! The most important thing is that you create the honeymoon that you desire and for you that is going to be very distinctive. The Caribbean is a very diverse place. Have you looked at all the islands - including places like Trinidad and Tobago? When we were in Antigua, we met a couple that lived there. Very nice people. We started talking about the islands and they said there was always something happening on Trinidad, but if you wanted something a little more laid-back, that you could go to Tobago. They speak English. It's warm. There's a botanical garden, you can snorkel, etc. It's just a thought, but it might be a good choice for someone who has never been out of the states before.

Jul 20th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Andrea

Although I haven't been to Jamiaca or Aruba, I highly recommend the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort, an AI in St. Thomas. It's on the eastern side of the island with gorgeous views of St. John and Tortola. There's good snorkeling right from the beach at the resort, and snorkel gear rental is free. Plus, since it's part of the U.S., you don't have the culture shock. If you decide to go, be sure to log into the Wyndham website and sign up for Wyndham By Request. It doesn't cost anything, and you get benefits like free room upgrades, express check-in, free phone calls, etc.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:51 AM
melanie

My husband and I went to St. Thomas on our honeymoon a year ago. It was fantastic! There is lots to do there and many different places to eat. It is ideal because you are so close to other islands that you can take day trips to them.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:04 AM
twinkletoes

if you do choose st thomas, do not do the all-inclusive option at Sugar Bay, Too many things to do, places to go and good dining to be stuck with theme night buffets of so so food. Italian night, Chinese night, etc. Do not recommend!

Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:20 PM
trista

Nikki
My husband and I went to Sandals Dunns River this past april, we spent 5,000 for a 1 bedroom oceanfront suite it was great. I loved all the activities at Sandals we could be as crazy as we wanted without feeling foolish because everyone was there for the same reason there were great nighttime activities like bbq with relay races and team activites on the beach. Normally we wouldn't be part of such games but we decided what the heck and glad we participated because we had a ball. I thought the beach was beatiful and felt very safe late at night laying on the lounges or swimming in the ocean just the two of us. The only complaint was eating at the same restaurants i did get bored and felt obligated to eat there because we payed all that money. Im torn about AI because it was nice to pay for most everyting up front and not have to worry about anything. We spent an extra 300 dollars on a bike outing and sunset cruise. That was it. We have been to Cancun, Barbdos, St. Maarten, and Caneel Bay. Would definetly recomment Sandals Dunns River. Very romantic!!

Sep 4th, 2002, 05:19 AM
aruba

I don't think you can go wrong with Aruba in October. Aruba is a lush, tropical island, but it has a lot of good points. It's easy to get around with an excellent bus system and it's small enough that it would be pretty darn hard to get lost driving around on your own. The restaurants in Aruba are excellent, no need to be tied down with an all-inclusive.

Sep 4th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Justine

Try the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall Jamaica. Look at the Key to Paradise package. It was unbelievable! 5 star dining all day, includes drinks, and in a one bedroom suite for less than you can stay at some Hyatts. Also pick up at the airport in a limo. Unbelievable!

Sep 4th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Stop

Not saying it's good or bad but Aruba is not "lush" or "tropical". It is desert and not scenic.
The good points are it's developed has lots of American hotel chains and restaurants. If you've never been outside the US it might be a good choice. Just don't want you to think that it's lush and green.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:07 PM
Dan

Mind you, Aruba has a lot of local hotels and restaurants as well operated by locals. And Aruba has scenery get a local guide and enjoy the island.

Oct 4th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Dan

Have you thought about St. John. We met many couples while there who were on their honeymoon.

It is a paradise, very lush, wonderful clear blue water and so many cove type beaches to explore. We loved it. We stayed one year at Caneel Bay resort. Beautiful for a honeymoon, but after going the next year and renting a villa. To us, that is the way to go. So much more privacy and lots of room. You can even hire a chef to come an cook dinner for you.

For beauty and beaches it's up there with Bermuda and St. Barts.

St. Thomas is much busier. You can always take a ferry over to St. Thomas shop. It's only a 30 min. ferry ride.

good luck

Oct 4th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Kristen

Aruba!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO