Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon help! First time in Carribean, looking for beautiful island with nightlife

Search

Honeymoon help! First time in Carribean, looking for beautiful island with nightlife

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My fiance and I are getting married in July. We want to visit the Carribean. We were originally thinking of St. Lucia, because we heard it is absolutely beautiful. THen we heard there is no night life there. Any suggestions of a beautiful place to honeymoon in July with some kind of nightlife. Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:33 PM
cdt

For a combination of scenery and nightlife, two islands that come to mind are St. Thomas and Jamaica.

Both islands have a reputation for higher-than-average crime rates, but we have vacationed in both locations with no problems.

Jamaica is more of a third world destination, with a culture that is distinctively different from the US; while STT is more Americanized, and has the advantage of easy access to St. John, Tortola, Jost van Dyke, etc.

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:16 PM

If you chose Jamaica..look into Negril or Port Antonio I have heard alot of good things about both.I would stay away from Montego Bay,Ochios Rios,and Kingston.

I would also look into St.John USVI, has some nightlife and has beautiful beaches.

One last thing..would you consider the Hawaiian Islands..if so Maui or Kauai would be awesome.Kauai is known as the garden island and is absolutely gorgeous and romantic at night.Good luck!!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Trying to choose between so many islands an be hard, but I think if you are looking at a beautiful destination with nightlife, I think you would be happy witht he USVI. STT has quite a bit of nightlife. Don't be scared off by tales that people tell about crime. We never experienced any. There is so much to do there that you will moving all the time or you can choose to stay at your hotel all day. Enjoy your honeymoon!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:10 AM

For a wonderful introduction to the Caribbean, I'd suggest going to Barbados. It has some of everything any island can offer except for gambling and a volcano. Lovely people, lush green tropical setting, clean air, pure water, wide range of hotels, beaches, water sports, sightseeing such as caves, tropical gardens, animal preserves, plantation houses, submarine ride. Outstanding restaurants, both in hotels and independent, lots of nitelife. All revolves around a British/Caribbean culture so you don't feel like you're just in tropical America. Barbados is a really special place with a strong economy, not dependent only on tourism, so a visitor experiences a sense of a place which is beyond just a resort on a beach. Calmest water for swimming/snorkeling is on the calm
west coast north of Bridgetown. IMO the best hotel on that stretch is Coral Reef Club. Family-owned for 50 years, low-rise and plantation cottage style hotel in tropical gardens and fine beach. Barbados is a really special place! See www.barbados.org and
www.coralreefbarbados.com