Search

Different from Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different from Hawaii?

I was born and raised in Hawaii, so I never really considered the Caribbean for a vacation spot. But my husband and I recently got free tickets that are good for the Caribbean or Mexico. Some say both are beautiful, others tell me I'll be disappointed since I grew up in Hawaii. I'd appreciate any feedback from people who have been to both. And if it is worth visiting, any suggestions as to which island or city in Mexico and places to stay? We don't do a lot of outdoor sports, but we love to eat at great local restaurants, stay at local villas or B&Bs, and hang out at the beach. (The more secluded the better.)
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Although not a favorite on this forum, St Lucia is lush, mountainous and beautiful. The Rodney Bay area has several restaurants and some are finer dining, but St Lucia is not known for its great restaurants. That said, the Coal Pot is excellent. You could check into Cap Estate villas in the northern part of the island. Most of the beaches are small cove type with light brown sand. The southern part of the islands nears the Pitons has greyer sand with the exception of Jalousie Plantation Hotel which has a man made beach. I don't think you would be disappointed with the scenery here.

Many posters prefer the southern part of the island as is is more scenic and "quieter".

Although I understand there is no comparison between the Caribbean and Hawaii, there are several islands that are lush and tropical.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Itle,
I have been to Kauai,St John,and Aruba.

I will say that Kauai was the most beautiful..BUT St John is very close.Both are lush,mountainous islands.

St John is a good place to go if you want to do day trips to other surrounding islands as it is close to the British Virgin Islands and St Thomas.All of which are lush and mountainous.

We did not care for Aruba as it was a flat,dry island that was very commercialized and Americanized...which can be good if that is what you like.We just wanted something exotic.There were alot of the fast food chains that we have here in the US.The snorkeling is not any good there either.Good luck!!I have heard alot of good things about Jamaica also..so maybe check into it.

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 02:27 PM

What you can get in the Caribbean is a taste of cultures not U.S.
For a wonderful introduction to the Caribbean, I'd suggest going to Barbados. It has some of everything any island can offer except for gambling and a volcano. Lovely people, lush green tropical setting, clean air, pure water, wide range of hotels, beaches, water sports, sightseeing such as caves, tropical gardens, animal preserves, plantation houses, submarine ride. Outstanding restaurants, both in hotels and independent. All revolves around a British/Caribbean culture so you don't feel like you're just in tropical America. Barbados is a really special place with a strong economy, not dependent only on tourism, so a visitor experiences a sense of a place which is beyond just a resort on a beach. Generally avoid August-October (hurricane season). Otherwise weather is great all year-perpetual summer with water temps over 80 deg. even in winter. Lowest hotel rates are mid-April to mid-December, with a big jump in high season. Calmest water for swimming/snorkeling is on the calm west coast north of Bridgetown. IMO the best hotel on that stretch is Coral Reef Club. Family-owned for 50 years, low-rise and plantation cottage style hotel in tropical gardens and fine beach. Barbados is a really special place!
See www.barbados.org and
www.coralreefbarbados.com
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses. I will definitely look into St. Lucia, St. John, and Barbados!
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 04:20 PM
KVR

We've been to Mexico, a few Islands in the Caribbean, Oahu and Maui. No offense, but we did not like Hawaii at all. We went in February to see the whales. The weather was terrible. Rained 4 of the 7 days we were there, the beaches awful compared to Mexico/Caribbean. The sand was coarse and brown, the water rough, dark and freezing. The prices for food and drink outragous.

However, the lush greenery was very nice. When we went to St. Thomas/St. John it looked alot like Maui only with much nicer beaches. Would also think St. Lucia would be about the same. Haven't been there yet.

Mexico is more about AI resorts. Lots of people, eating and drinking. Very cost effective if you like that atmosphere. Also has the best tours/excursions with more things to see and do than any other Island (IOHO). From your criteria, probably not what you are looking for.

I agree, you might like Barbados and St. John. Might also look at Anguilla and St. Barts.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:55 PM

My friend was also born and raised in Hawaii and came to visit us on St. John. Of course there are similarities, but they are difficult to compare, too. She did point out that she thought the Caribbean water is warmer and a bit clearer.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:31 AM

My husband and I got married in Hawaii - just had our 11th anniversary last week. So it holds a special place in our hearts. In Feb 2004, after consulting with each other about where to go for our winter trip, we decided on Kauai and fell in love to the point where we designed and are presently having a art glass work done in our entryway of Kauai. Our upcoming winter trip is to Nevis in the Caribbean. There have been a number of people who have compared it to Hawaii, so I strongly urge you to see if it fits your requirements.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:00 AM

You grew up in Hawaii- lucky you.

IMHO I would chose the Caribbean over Mexico. Mexico is great don't get me wrong but the Caribbean is really like no other place in the world. Kind of like Hawaii is like no other place in the world. Hard to explain. The islands are all very different so listen to what they are saying about them on this board and you will get an idea of what island is right for you.
In the Caribbean you will find friendly islanders. Wonderul music. Beautiful weather and scenery. Fantastic beaches. Great shopping bargains and excellent food. Lots of places to hide away!

Just my 2 cents about Mexico- It is most annoying to have hawkers pushing jewelry on you every 2 seconds while you try to enjoy a day at the beach. I like Mexico but dislike this practice so much that I really don't think about going back again.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM

You are saying that you have never been approached in the Caribbean by hawkers? Give me a break. Have you ever been on the beach in Jamaica?
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Itle,

I would suggest for a complete Bahamas experience trying out South Andros Island, there are three main chioices for places to stay on the island depending on your budget. This is a unique island that has the dream-like clear waters and beaches. If you are a fan or fishing, snorkeling, diving, and/or just relaxing and being on a quiet island away from it all this is the place to go. I can give you more information on the island if you need it.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Sorry Curt, Didn't mean to offend anyone. It was just my 2 cents and I'm entitled to it. I've been to many beaches in the caribbean and have never had the hawker experience like I did in Mexico. Sorry- but it was very annoying. I see no problem with me mentioning this in my post as it was part of my travel experience. Are you saying that the beaches in Jamaica have this same problem? (I was approached once in Jamaica). Other islands too? (I have not experienced that).
Annika