Honeymoon Help - AI and Non-AI

Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Help - AI and Non-AI

Hi,

I’m getting married in May 2007 and am really enjoying planning the honeymoon. While I have to narrow it down to 2 resorts, I have a long life ahead to see many more!

I would like your help in finding something that fits our criteria. Here’s the plan so far. Take a two week honeymoon starting the Monday of Memorial Day weekend 2007. The first week will be at an all-inclusive and the second week at a nice resort/hotel. We would like to do two different islands, or at least do two different parts of the same island.

Desire for both resorts:
•On-beach or close to it
•Beautiful pool (infinity edge, swim-up bar, waterfall) – top priority
•Interesting architecture (nothing boring, no boxes)
•Nice rooms (outdated furnishings are out) – top priority, too
•Nice exercise facilities

Desire for AI:
•3 or 4+ restaurants (good food very important)
•No branding (Sandals are out, I don’t want to honeymoon on a big billboard!)
•Room service
•Spa
•Don’t care about motorized watersports
•Under $800/night including tax (that’s per room, not person)

Desire for 2nd week, non-AI:
•Walking distance to pretty town w/ lots of good restaurants (top priority)
•Suite w/ kitchen a plus
•Under $500/night including tax

To give an idea of what places appeal to me (and her!): Cap Juluca, The Palms (T&C), Point Grace (T&C), La Source (Grenada). Haven't found an AI that I like, yet.

My dream honeymoon would fit the bill above and I could go from one resort to the other by boat. Oh, and win the lottery so I never have to come back. Am I asking too much?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Jesse and Shari
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Well, you certainly have an ambitious wish list. I'm not sure if all that you desire exists in any one or two resorts. But if it does, I'd sure be interested in hearing about it. Good luck on your search!
Feb 24th, 2006, 06:54 AM

congratulations jesse and shari, here's some suggestions. from diana on another post:
K Club , Barbuda
Firefly, Mustique
Cap Juluca, Anguilla
Strawberry Hill, Jamaica
Parrot Cay, TCI
Horned Dorset, PR
Casa de Campo, DR
Ladera, St Lucia
Raffles, Canouan
PSV, Grenadines
Jumby Bay, Antigua

from me, here are some others to look at:
royal hideaway, mexico ***** [very well reviewed ai]
peter island, bvi
paridisus, punta cana
secrets capri
turks and caicos club
t&c club and cap juluca are not ai but allow you to purchase a meal plan achieving the same end.
in the bvi biras creek, little dix bay, bitter end yacht club.
the ritz, st.thomas fits all your 'both' requirements.
it is not easy to go from most islands to another by boat, as the distance is greater than you may think. you can boat from usvi to bvi easily. and i hear you can in the st.vincents and grenadines as well.
as an alternative to your ai week, i think you could afford a private villa with staff. jamaica has loads that come with cooks, maids, gardeners, etc.
Feb 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Virginia, while it was nice of you to make suggestions, none on your list meat his unreasonable criteria. (Sorry, just being realistic!)
NONE are close to walking to towns. (Jamaica, DR and Antigua being the only ones with a real town) Only Jamaica, DR and Antigua have all inclusives, so they would have to travel to another island.
Only T&C and Jumby Bay have kitchens.
Only the palms has infinity pool/swimup bar. Most all inclusives in Jamaica, DR and Mexico have swim up bars. Mexico has some infinity pools.
Almost everything you suggested is completely out of his price range.
Sorry, but he needs to either lower his expectations, or increase his budget, and be prepared to travel between different islands. AND not expect to fill all of his criteria.
I've been to almost of the places on your list.

Feb 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Let me offer one suggestion. If you're intent on a two island honeymoon, you should consider St. Maarten and Anguilla. Many airlines fly non-stop to St. Maarten and St. Maarten will have all the fine restaurants you can ever want on an island, along with some very nice beaches. You can then take a ferry (or, more expensively, private boat charter) from St. Maarten to Anguilla. Anguilla also has many excellent restaurants and some absolutely spectacular beaches. I wouldn't advise going AI on either island because you would then miss out on some of the best dining experiences you'll find in the Caribbean. Rent a car instead, at least for a few days, and take the opportunity to experience the pleasures (dining, beach, and otherwise) of both islands.