honeymoon help

May 18th, 2002, 03:25 PM
jacqui

honeymoon help

My fiance & I only have about a week in early October to honeymoon & were thinking about going to St. Martin, since we have been many times & enjoy it. However, I sort of feel like we should try something different, maybe a little bit more luxurious, since it is our honeymoon. Does anyone have advice as far as nightlife on Anguilla- is there anything to do outside of the resorts? Looking for help from anyone who can compare- or suggest other islands nearby- thanks-

May 19th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Mandy

Not a lot of nightlife in the islands. We have stayed in St. Martin (french side) at Esmeralda Resort which is situated on gorgeous Orient Beach (some nudity) and had a great time. At night, we drove to Grand Case or Marigot for dinner (outstanding) and then walked around the Marina, stopped for wine etc. There is a disco in Marigot and several beach bars on Orient Beach. Green Cay Village (villas) with your own pool and fantastic ocean views is situated on the hills above Orient Beach.
For the best nightlife you might want to try Puerto Rico--a few nights at the Marriott or El San Juan, and a few nights at Hyatt Dorado at Dorado Beach outside San Juan. We always rent a car.
In Antigua, Sandals Antigua has great facilities including large spa, long white beach with some vendors (friendly) and really nice rooms with 4 poster beds--we have stayed there twice.
You could also divide your stay between St. Martin and St. Barts. Francois Plantation is very romantic in St. Barts with the view from the Infinity Pool.
St. Martin is still our favorite island but all the islands are beautiful--you can't go wrong, just choose the right place to stay.

May 19th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Jacqui

Thanks Mandy. Since it sounds like you know quite a bit about SXM, I was wondering if you might have any advice with regard to where to stay. Our first choice is La Samanna, but it's closed Sept-Oct. So, I'm considering Le Meridien vs. Port de Plaisance. I've heard that P-d-P was damaged during the hurricane a few years ago, but is reopened- I don't know which would be a better choice- any ideas, the prices are comparable- thanks-

May 25th, 2002, 09:09 AM
pat

See www.wiol.com for specials in st. martin/maarten & anguilla

May 26th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Mandy

Hi Jacqui:
Several years ago we drove to Port Plaisance and we didn't like it--if I remember it was by a lagoon--just not impressed. Never have been to Le Meridien but you could find travelers reviews / rates / information (click on top at hotel site) at Where2Stay.com or using Google just Where2Stay. Le Meridien is at the very end of the island near Pinel Island. Hotel Guanahani (cottages) is on a beautiful beach setting--also a great choice for St. Barts and since the flight is so short you could divide your time between islands--probably 4 nights on each (Win Air flies between islands). Good luck, I would choose Le Meridien over Plaisance.

May 26th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Mandy

I just went into Google and typed out Guanahani Hotel, St. Barts and I noticed they have a honeymoon special which can include a villa with private plunge pool/sunset cruise/sailing/ champagne/cooking class/wine tasting etc. Good luck!