Search

Honeymoon from Miami

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon from Miami

Hi, can anyone help a couple from the UK?

We are getting married in Miami in December 2004 and need a honeymoon to escape the families.
We have been to Key West before and really liked it, but it was too busy at New Year. We are considering the Caribbean, but have never been before and don't know anyone who has.
Can anyone recommend an island that is safe, with good beaches, good food and is not too pretentious (we will need to chill out a bit!), but has something in the way of entertainmant?
We would also be interested to hear comments (good and bad!) on Caribbean cruises.

Thanks.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Sunnyboy

There are twice as many answers to your question as there are islands. For every rave review there is someone who will have the exact opposite point of view. Every island is different and what appeals to one person may not appeal to you. Therefeore don't let others choose your island. Since this will be your first trip to the Caribbean my best advice is to get 2 or 3 good guide books (Fodor's, Fielding's and Lonely Planet are the best). Read up on all the island and narrow your choice to the two or three that best suit what you want for your holiday. Stick with the "major" islands for your first trip unless you really respect the person giving you advice as you are more apt to be disappointed with the less visited hard to reach places or resorts recommended by people you don't know or who don't know you. Once you've narrowed your choice you can post specific questions about specific islands on this and other forums. The end result will be a holiday you remender fondly rather than one you can't forget.

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 11:59 AM

Definitely consider Cayman, only a one hour flight from Miami (or Fort Lauderdale) with lots of flights each day on AA and Cayman Airways.

Safe - check...way safer that Miami

Good Beaches - check, Seven Mile Beach is the famous one, but there are numerous great white sand beaches

Good Food - check, 150 restaurants of consistently high standard

Not pretentious - check...very welcoming and warm people

Entertainment - yup, we have a number of classy nightclubs, or even the world famous Barefoot Man at our resort (The Reef)
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Since you're looking to honeymoon and probably wanting something special, I would recommend that you read two additional guide books. One is published by Frommer's and is written by Ian Keown, a noted travel writer on this region. It's called Romantic Hideaways and up front he basically says that he doesn't like all-inclusives or large mega-resorts. That being said, however, he does include some of the best AIs and megas in the region--He rates each place based on romantic atmosphere, food quality, and available activities at each resort.

Another suggestion is to look at "Best Places to Stay in the Caribbean" published by Houghton Mifflin (can't recall authors' names on this one). Get a few guides and see if there are any recs that appeal to you that are found in more than one travel guide.

Coming from Miami, the entire region of the Caribbean will be relatively safe. If you'd like more info about cruises, I'd suggest posting on the cruise forum.
Also, since you'll be traveling in December, I definitely recommend that you NOT consider the Bahamas or Turks & Caicos, as the weather and water temp may be more brisk than what you're looking for.

Let us know more specifics about what you're looking for and you'll get more answers than you know what to do with.

Old Nov 1st, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Many thanks for all the advice and recs. We're going to hit the guide books and try to work out a few more details.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:47 AM

You have gotten great advice... when looking at your guide books make sure you check out Aruba... I loved it there for my first Carib. trip
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 05:08 AM

You should also consider the British Virgin Islands (BVI), check their official website www.bviwelcome.com. I can recommend Little Dix Bay Hotel or Peter Island Resort or rent one of the stunning private villas on Virgin Gorda.
The islands are VERY safe, have gorgeous and deserted beaches, and...not too many tourists, the atmosphere is very relaxed, the local people are very friendly.
Regine/KATITCHE POINT GREATHOUSE
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 02:28 AM

Hi DazzG

You are getting a lot of "thoughts", just make sure you take these thoughts as just OUR opinions and do your own research... I say this as I have reccommened Aruba (Hyatt) and the very next msg recommends Peter Island.... while both are fantastic, they couldn't be more different!

Good Luck and Congratulations!

Ruby
[email protected]
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Try the Turks and Caicos Islands. The Tourist Board website is:

www.turksandcaicostourism.com

Lots of info. Only 90 minutes from Miami and gorgeous powder white sand beaches and turquoise waters.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 08:26 AM

As the others have said, lots of choices in the islands. If you wnat something nearby and low key, Freeport Bahamas is 30 minutes and $99 from Miami. Not a lot to do but, My Lucaya was fairly all encompassing when I was there a few years back.

As for cruises, we have taken two and discovered that we are most definately NOT cruise people.

The one thing I would note, at least from my opinion, is that cruises are NOT for romance. Too many people, and you have to sit with other people for dinner, lunch and breakfast.

We are very private people, and in our jobs we deal with people all day, day in day out, so when we go away we want lots of personal romantic couple time, and cruises in our experience are a no no.

Also, we are very much into gourmet dining, and cruise dining while not cafeteria quality, is certainly not gourmet quality.

Hope some of this helps.