Reload this Page >

Hilton Hotels--the very best?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Shel

Hello folks, <BR> <BR>We are in the very lucky position of having lots of Hilton points. We have already been to Hawaii but never the Caribbean. We're trying to plan our first trip so I'd like to hear people's impressions of the Hilton hotels they've stayed at in the Caribbean islands (or other beach resort Hiltons). <BR> <BR>I have heard good and bad things about the Hilton Jalousie St Lucia (on this message board, the message title "Hilton Jalousie Sucks" got my attention") I'm also curious about other Hiltons: the Caribe Hilton, Colonial Hilton Nassau, Ponce Hilton, Hilton Tobago, etc. <BR> <BR>We are in our late 20's, married, no kids (yet), like to snorkle, explore and read books. <BR> <BR>Thanks!! <BR>Shel

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Brightone

Hi Shel, I have stayed at the Brittish Colonial Hilton in Nassau Bahamas. It has been totally renovated and is now upscale in a sense. Too pricy for the SpringBreakers these days. Definitely a place to stay if you have a free opportunity. Near downtown Bay Street and Dunkin Donuts and Mc'Donalds just across the street.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:31 AM
Karen

Can't speak for most Hiltons but don't pick the Caribe Hilton on PR. Of course, have heard that they have done some very badly needed renovations since we stayed there compliments of AA a couple of years ago, but if it is snorkling and a Carib beach you want, you won't find it there! There is a bit of a cove-like beach that is protected from the rough water with chairs lined elbow to elbow. Altho their claim to fame is the invention of the Pina Colada on that property, it would not be my choice for a relaxing, wonderful Caribbean vacation - but then I am a beach potato and love r&r in a spectacular setting with a lucious beach!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:22 AM
Lizzie

You may have seen my remarks on the Jalousie sucks thread... I am in the other camp. I had perhaps the most wonderful vacation of my life at the Jalousie Hilton. However, my boyfriend and I knew what to expect, which I think may have been the main problem for the dissatisfied complainers. Caribbean life is different. The tempo is slower. Service is not going to be what it would be at the Four Seasons in Hawaii. That said, we NEVER had a problem with the service - in fact, we found it prompt and solicitous. There's a lot to be said for greeting people with a smile and being a gracious guest. <BR> <BR>The setting is unbelievably beautiful. The beach is wonderful, the food is decent - no worse than you'd find on most islands, and my only advice would be to steer clear of the buffets. We found the shuttle service from villa to beach/dining rooms effecient. We never waited more than five minutes. The islandof St. Lucia cannot be beat for exploring: rainforests, botanical gardens, volcano, waterfalls. I found the beach the picture of relaxation, and there were also kayaks and sailboats to take out. The snorkeling is good, and you can take a water taxi to Anse Chastanet, which supposedly has the best snorkeling on the island. <BR> <BR>That's my take. We loved the Jalousie Hilton and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:21 PM
Kasly

The British col

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:56 PM
dixie

The British Colonial is beautiful but the rooms are very small with small windows and no balconies. Seems like a convention hotel to me. Also a small beach that has a great view of the cruise ships but makes me wonder what comes in the water with those ships? <BR> <BR>The Jalousie is much more of a resort hotel long with Caribbe Hilton in San Juan.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Lizzie

The Jalousie Hilton is most definitely not like your typical resort hotel! Sorry, just had to respond to the poster above. There's no main hotel building, instead the resort consists of individual villas complete with plunge pools. We loved ours - it was secluded and had a view of the mountains and the ocean. Quite luxurious, roomy, comfy bed, sofa, patio w/fridge. Heavenly. The restaurants are in different buildings, one right on the water and one in a beautifully manicured landscaped area that's the closet thing to a main building. <BR> <BR>Actually, upon re-reading the post I think dixie meant that as a complement. I guess the Jalousie just isn't what comes to mind when I think of a hotel resort (which is a huge high-rise on a beach packed with other huge high-rises.)