Reload this Page >

Hibiscus Lodge - first hand experiences

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 08:13 AM
optical

Has anyone stayed at the Hibiscus Lodge in Ocho Rios? Everyone seems to say - I've heard its good - no first hand experiences.This is one of the places we are considering. We do not want to go AI - would greatly apprecaite an information.

Also any tips on tours to Dunns river - I have heard people say to go there early - are there any tours that leave early morning?

Any tips on places not to be missed..any tips on good places for breakfast and lunch round Ocho rios would be greatly appreciated.

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We stayed there about 5 years ago. It was a long ride in a taxi to get from the airport in Montego Bay to the Hibiscus. It was a good value at the time - basic room, clean and neat but not luxurious. There is no beach to speak of on the property. There is a tiny little man-made sandy area off the rocks with just enough space for two or three people to sit. However, they do have a pool. The on property restaurant, The Almond Tree, was very good. We had all our breakfasts and most dinners there. The hotel is in a location where the management suggested we do not walk off the property at night which was fine since there wasn't anything appealing about the immediate area near the hotel. We took taxis or buses to do sightseeing and go out to dinner. We had a good time at the Hibiscus, but Ocho Rios wouldn't be a place we would want to re-visit.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 03:05 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Hibiscus Lodge and had a wonderful experience. The rooms are very plain and clean. (basics) Not the Ritz by any means. The people there were delightful and we enjoyed the location. Breakfast is included in your room rate and is a highlight of your stay. We enjoyed every morning sitting there and watching the fisherman. (I hate the idea of a huge resort.) This is small and not a Sandal et. so it is really about what you had in mind. It is quiet and secluded with the most beautiful manicured gardens. You are on site for one of the best restaurants in Ocho Rios. (The Almond Tree) We had dinner there three-four times and it was great... beautiful surroundings, along with excellent food. If you step outside the gates you are in the middle of the city. We never felt unsafe, although you may be approached about buying pot. If that freaks you out Jamaica may not be for you. The people at the Hibiscus were very kind to us and helpful, I'd definitely stay here again. Dunns River Falls. Awesome! You must see. We did eat Italian I think it's called ...Evita's. (something like that) Hibiscus is a great value and if your looking for some place a little different, I think this may be for you.
Enjoy your trip and get some books on Jamaica. They have a program there called People to People. We met with a gal one afternoon to hear of life there and we found it to be a good experience. Hope this was helpful.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 07:00 AM
optical

Thanks for the response. It sounds like just the kind of place we want.
A couple more questions if you don't mind. Did you take a tour to Dunn's river or just take a cab up there?

Did you have to take taxis to get everywhere or can you walk to nearby restaurants and shops?

Any tips you have are very welcome. Thanks for your time

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 12:49 AM

Hello Optical,
We used a cab which was in front of the hotel and liked the driver very much (his name was Bobby) so we made arrangements with him to take us on various sightseeing trips. I believe he gave us a phone number to call to reach him. He would get us at the hotel, drive us to our destination and wait for us - reasonable price for the service. There really aren't any shops to walk to from the hotel but there are a few restaurants nearby which serve local dishes. As the previous poster said, the people at the hotel are very friendly and helpful. They will be able to give you advice on area restaurants. Have a great trip!