Reload this Page >

Here's the whole deal on my trip to Jamaica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Steve Faberman

Got back from 4 day trip to Wyndham Resort in Montego Bay. I've always appreciated tips found on this forum so I thought I'd return the favor.<BR><BR>I'll get into details on the hotel, etc. in a minute, but I think the most pertinent advice I can give to those considering vacationing in Jamaica is that you MUST manage your expectations in order to have a great, relaxed time. If you understand what you're getting into before you get down there, you'll role with the punches and have a blast. I saw a lot of unhappy people who were adament about never coming back because of their experience that never should have stepped foot on the island.<BR><BR>IT'S SLOW. IT'S NOT REAL LUXURIOUS. THE FOOD IS MEDIOCRE. GOLF IS AMAZING. IT CAN BE EXTREMELY RELAXING.<BR><BR>Having stayed in some nice hotels in the Carribbean (Westin Rio Mar in Puerto Rico comes to mind)I can say the Wyndham is below average in terms of looks and conditions, but has very friendly staff and good pool/beach facilities. The rooms are no better than an average Holiday Inn. <BR><BR>Food was also mediocre. You absolutely need to go on the all-inclusive plan or you'll be very upset about the prices of the food for what you get. You MUST make reservations in both of the restaurants that take them (Luna Di Mare and Three Palms. The food at the grilles around the pool was slightly better than the buffets.<BR><BR>Pool facilites were very impressive. Families with kids 2-12 will spend most of their day in the water park area. Lots of water slides, river rafting and the like. <BR><BR>Beach was nice. Rocky as everyone claims in some spots. Not crystal clear or extremely calm but defintely swimmable. Very warm!<BR><BR>My buddies windsurfed and sailed right from the resort beach.<BR><BR>Golfed at newly named Cinnamon Hills (was called Three Palms). Great golf and course was in pretty decent shaped. Played the next at White Witch and I was REALLY impressed. I've played all over incl. Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Myrtle Beach, etc. and this course was in my top 3 ever! An absolute must play for true golfers. Very tough.<BR><BR>Hope this helps people out. If you have any questions at all, feel free to email me.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Jeff

Very nice review, Steve.<BR><BR>I wish everyone could read the opening of your second paragraph. It's a huge key to most vacations, and it goes to the core of what this website is most useful for....know what to expect BEFORE you go, and you're much more likely to have a good time.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Joanne

Very good report Steve. Thanks for being honest and forthright and I second jeff's point - that you need to do your research and have realistic expectations BEFORE you set foot on that plane.<BR><BR>That said, I am going to JA for the Jazz and Blues Festival in Montego Bay at the end of Jan 2003 with the likes of Al Jarreau, Roy Ayers, Smokey Robinson and others slated to perform. I hear what you say about going for the all-incls plan but not sure that we will do that - I do not like to be limited to dining at the hotel and enjoy the local restuarants (and I am talking as local as they come) around Jamaica - have never been disappointed. In most instances, even those places that look like real &quot;holes in the wall&quot; have great grub - the trick is to get past what the place looks like on the outside, relax and enjoy. I will probably end up staying at the Half Moon Resort. They have over half a dozen restuarants on property to choose from and you can choose a meal plan if you wish and it is, in my books, a great place to stay.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Eric

Joanne,<BR><BR>Funny what the Jamaicans refer to as jazz, isn't it ? I'm a musician who has visitied Jamaica numerous times, and even do some gigs now and then when I'm there. I've always found the Caribbean idea of &quot;Jazz&quot; to be a bit ironic. Not quite what one would call jazz if you visited New Orleans or NYC...<BR><BR>Just piping in...<BR>Eric<BR><BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 11:55 AM
jam-man

Steve,<BR><BR>Thanks for the update. Heading down this Saturday for a week at the Ritz. Will golf the White Witch 4 times and am absolutely psyched! This will be our eighth Jamaica vacation (been there myself on business another 10 or so times) and still look forward to it like it was the first time. Will be our first time at the Ritz. Have tee times and dinner reservations in hand, thanks to advice from Fodors posters.<BR>Will give trip report Thanksgiving week.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Patty

jam-man,<BR>Please post your trip report before I leave (Nov 29) if possible. Thanks!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 12:09 PM
kooer

<BR>Message: Hey all! I just wanted to let people know about my stop at Jamaica. I was told so much CRAP from this site!!! Not once were we offered drugs...not one single time and yes it is a very poor country, but a beautiful one with kind people! It really makes you appreciate what we have! so people please do not not go to Jamacia because of what you &quot;hear&quot; you will be missing a wonderful time. Just to let ya know we were hassled more in Cozumel for pot and shoping then in Jamacia. Comments welcome.<BR> <BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Pat

Eric: you may be right - most of the artists on the line-up for this years Jazz and Blues festival in JA are more R&amp;Bish than mainstream contemporary jazz. But hey, that suits me fine - its a great excuse for taking a pass in JA at the end of January - I am definetly not one of those running scared from Jamaica - au contraire, I love the place and have always had an excellent time there.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Bridgette

Joanne and Pat...I will also be in Montego Bay at the end of January. Can you tell me the dates and exactly where the jazz festival is located? Thanks.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Lisa2

here's the link:<BR><BR>http://www.airjamaica.com/jazzandblues.asp<BR><BR>January 30 to February 1 at the Wyndham Rose Hall, MoBay<BR><BR>Performers include Lou Rawls, Al Jarreau, Angie Stone, Smokey Robinson, Toots &amp; Maytals<BR><BR>Have fun! I'm jealous!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:23 PM
its

I love the positive posters!!!! Weve been to Ocho, MoBay and Negril (not all-inclusive) and had some of the best vacations ever. People we met were wonderful. Wish I was going to the Jazz Fest...!!!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Bridgette

Thanks Lisa2<BR>Those are the exact dates that my crew will be in Montego Bay. It sounds like a great time. Thanks again for the info.