Reload this Page >

Weekend getaway next week/jamaica or?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 04:18 PM
jen

Hello. Yes I know its the last minute but my husband and I are looking to celebrate our 1 year anniversary next weekend. We will be traveling from Atlanta. We want to go a short distance by plane or car (no longer then 5hrs) and we want to relax in peace and quiet while enjoying great scenery and having good food. We're trying to budget around $2000.00. Jamaica has been suggested, The coyoba, half moon, ritz, any ideas or other locations or opinions on these?

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Melissa

I really enjoyed Breezes Runaway Bay...It would probibly be better priced than Those other resorts.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 05:58 PM
GM

I recommend St. Thomas. I wouldn't want to do Jamaica over a long weekend. I recommend Morningstar at Frenchman's Reef; they're villas compared to the hotel rooms, right on the beach, and it's not very far from the airport; any other property that is decent is out by Red Hook, and too far from town.<BR><BR>Go to the little shops on Raadets Gaade (a street in Charlotte Amalie) for a 1 year anniversary present for you and hubby; they have the best prices for jewelery / watches, etc., much better than the more advertised 'high end' shops. I ONLY get my jewelry there; there's the typical gold and watches, but a lot of unique pieces, including the new gem Rainbow Topaz (which I get so many compliments on from my purchase there this year) and of course, the duty free makes it even better.<BR><BR>Check out Delta Vacations(especially from Atlanta) for last minute vacation deals; also Travelocity and Trip.com.<BR><BR>I'd recommend the Ritz in Jamaica ONLY if you had more time; right now they're having a deal that includes spa treatments and food.<BR><BR>LOVED the Ritz in Peachtree by you folks; was just down there the end of August (I'm in the NYC area). This was our 2nd time there, and THIS time I made sure I went to Jonesboro and the Fox Theatre. Had a great time. My fav Ritz is in New Orleans; that spa is heaven on earth.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:43 AM
John

We just returned from Swept Away in Negril, Jamaica. We highly recommend this place. Great food, great drinks, great veggie bar, great service, all water sports, great fitness complex - fantastic beach - crystal clear water and white sand - one of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean. Their gourmet restaurant, Feathers, is superb. As good as most high-end restaurants in our city.<BR><BR>The resort is small (134 rooms in small villas) and intimate. Rooms are intimate with beautiful verandas.<BR><BR>Very easy to get to Negril from Atlanta - flight to Montego Bay and a 1 hour 10 minute bus ride to resort door in Negril.<BR><BR>Please post here if you would like our trip report.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Suzi

My husband and I enjoyed Couples, Negril, and would love a copy of your trip report to compare the 2 resorts. Thank you.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Gina

Go to Aruba...no chance of a hurricane. You can get some really good deals this time of year. Stay at the Radisson or Hyatt.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Penney

The resorts that you mentioned are considered top resorts in Jamaica so any of those would do just fiine - good taste!! They are also not too far from the airport so you do not lose alot of time traveling about.<BR><BR>I think Jamaica would be a great choice - it is close to Atlanta and the island is so alive with energy. People are wonderful.