Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Here's my wish list.....Which AI should we book?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I plan on a late January 2010 beach vacation to celebrate our 50th birthdays. We'd like to stay at an AI but are overwhelmed by the choices. A little background on us....we've already been to 2 Sandals Resorts (Grande St Lucian & Whitehouse) but have no desire to revisit a Sandals. We did love our stay at Couples Swept Away 3 yrs ago but I hate to visit a place twice-it's more magical the first time around. We'll be traveling with FFM so need to book land only and our budget is around 3 K for 6, maybe 7 nights.

Here's my wish list:

Beautiful beach (soft sand, clear water with non rocky bottom); water activities, an ocean view room with close proximity to beach (no taller than 3 story accommodations). A room with a tropical, semi luxurious feel-neither ultra modern nor outdated. Lush tropical romantic atmosphere with a definite Caribbean vibe, ie reggae music, out door steel bands. LOTS of outdoor seating options . A mid size resort where you don't keep running into the same people. A large pool (s) where you don't have to fight over a lounger. Pool/beachside drink/lunch service. Great service-good food-we enjoy ALL kinds of food from gourmet to beach bar.

Here are the items that aren't important to me: The quality of liquor, flashy 'shows' at night and other nightlife (discos etc) the proximity of local towns to explore (we LOVE the beach).

We've been to the Mayan Riviera already and liked it but desire a destination with mostly Englsih speaking staff and low probability of getting sick from contaminated water.

We'd be happy to return to Jamaica.......or try Antigua....or even the US or British VI but am guessing the bulk of AIs are located in Jamaica.

Any suggestions for specific AIs (yes, we definitley want an AI) would be much appreciated.

PS, I looked into the other Couples resorts but just aren't impressed with the room decor (too Colonial, or too modern) and the beaches don't compare to SWA. Ruling out Aruba as I've been there also and found it too Americanized.
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM

actually i think the most ai's are on domican republic. however i really don't know anything about the island.

in the bvi you could look at long bay beach resort on tortola.
on grenada the grenada grand beach resort.
on antigua jolly beach or coconut beach club.
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:41 PM
KVR

We've been to 14 AI's. Most in Mexico. We've not really found anything that meets your criteria. However, you have a much bigger budget than we had.

I'm just going to throw a few AI hotels and locations out there for you to research.

Barbados - not really sure what resort. We are looking right now for a future trip. Maybe Amaryllis Beach Resort, Turtle Beach or Crystal Cove.

Antigua - Most people recommend Galley Bay. There is also Jumby Bay and a Sandals. I wouldn't recommend Jolly Beach. It's low budget kid magnet. But has a really great pool.

Turks and Caicos - The Veranda Resort

St. Lucia - 3 Sandals, Coconut Bay, Rendezvous, The Body Holiday Le Sport, The Jalousie Plantation, Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Grand Cayman - The Marriott

Curacao - The Marriott

Exuma, Bahamas - There is a brand new Sandals if interested (but I know what you mean about Sandals. We've been to 2 also and not really interested in that chain anymore)

The Dominican Republic has several AI's, but haven't been in years and not interested in going back.

I took DH to St. Thomas with a day trip to the BVI's for his 50th back in 2005. We stayed at the Wyndham on their AI plan. I would suggest Marriott Frenchmans Reef & Morning Star instead.
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:05 AM

I'm one of the people who recommend Galley Bay but it doesn't fit your budget and I think it's too quiet and small for what you want (you will run into the same people over and over again). You might look at the Secrets Resorts -- they are adults only, relatively upscale AIs, possibly a bit nicer than Sandals. There are a few that recently opened in the Dominican Republic -- although I have not been to the DR, it seems like the beaches are spectacular!
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
English speaking and no water contamination rules out DR also.
Barbados would fit your needs and so would any of the US or British Virgin Islands. Not too many AI resorts there though.
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:42 PM

Couples Negril is a lovely resort and we stayed there for the first time in March. Surprisingly to me, I enjoyed it more than Swept Away, though I very much like CSA and have been going there since the year it opened. CN is more intimate with a lovely and fairly private beach right on Bloody Bay. Service and food are very good as well and beach and the sea are every bit as nice as Swept Away - according to my husband, they are even better because of the privacy and depth of the beach. We are headed there next weekend and can't wait.

Negril is a fairly unique place with a funky vibe and the contrast of the cliffs and beach keep us coming back. I have not found that type of experience in the Caribbean though some places in the BVI come close.

Jamaica Inn is a very nice AI in Ocho Rios, individually owned and with a lovely beach. It might be worth considering but it is quite traditional in decor.

I enjoyed a week at Le Sport though I think the rooms and beach might not meet your standards. St. Lucia is a really beautiful island but there are not too many adult only AIs there and three of them are Sandals. Rendezvous Resort also gets consistently good reviews and is on my list to try one day.

Le Source in Grenada recently went through a big overhaul and might be a worth a look if you are interested in a spa/fitness focus. Grenada is quite pretty and not overly touristy.

Antigua is beautiful and my choice there would be Galley Bay. It is not for those looking for marble and glitz ala Sandals Grande STL and SWH however.

If you can afford the price tag, Peter Island is a pretty incredible place and one of the few AIs in the gorgeous BVI's.

The DR has lots of AI but I have never liked it very much there as the resorts are pretty isolated and we do not like to be resort bound, another reason Negril works well for us.
Secrets Cap Cana might be interesting. As of April it is now an adult only AI as AMResorts took it over in January and had to honor family bookings through the Easter holiday. If you do not mind remote, Secrets Cap Cana is a good resort chain though their resorts are homogeneous in many ways IMO and IME.

You can keep Aruba. Too Americanized and commercialized for my taste with more chain restaurants that I have here at home.

The Mayan Riviera has the greatest concentration of AI resorts. I go there quite often, mostly for business, and though it has some nice resorts, it cannot compare to the BWI IMO.