Help with last minute carribean getaway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanting to go somewhere warm during week of April 1. Can leave March 31. Dates flexible. 2 adults one tween. Can leave from Richmond, Norfolk, Newport News or DC to save $$. Would like to spend under $2000 for 4-5 days. Where and how?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM

not sure exactly where you leave, but get the Post or look it up on-line; the whole travel section today is about the Caribbean and there is a nice chart comparing all the islands.

Mary
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:07 AM

April is part of the World Soccer matches. Dependent on which island you want to visit you may find some difficulty with booking flights and accommodations.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:07 AM

oops, I meant not sure where you "live,"; the Post article has a special section on budget travel to the islands which should help you because your budget is pretty tight and, I think that first week of April is still high season at most resorts.

Good luck,

Mary
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:48 AM
iw

I am not familiar with prices in the caribbean at that time of year, but also check out flying from Raleigh,NC. It is roughly the same amount of driving time as it is to DC without the traffic. We usually go from there and live near Richmond.
Good luck!
Have you checked out any islands in the Bahamas? The Atlantis gets good reviews, but again, I have not stayed there personally.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

We live in Yorktown. I'm very interested in the Bahamas, but would want to go to one of the less commercialized areas--what they call the out islands?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:45 AM
iw

Yes, the out islands....I would repost your question with out islands in the title...I have heard great things about them, but again, have only been to Nassau.
I am sure that you will have a great time!
Also, have you thought about the Florida Keys?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thought about the keys. Is it warm enough to get in the water first week of April?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:12 AM

Jetblue flies to Ft. Lauderdale Thry fly Richmond and Norfolk.) From Ft. Lauderdale, Continental flies to some of the Out Islands, such as Abacos, Exumas, and Eleuthera.

Richmond used to have direct flights to Grand Bahama, you could do a package through Our Lucaya (Sheraton and Westin.)

Richmond may have direct flights to Cancun too. (DC definately does)
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Have you looked into Puerto Rico, or USVI? USAirways has numerous flights into PR and chances are it will be warmer than the water in the Bahamas. No need to clear customs, no passport requirments and PR is a beautiful island with many beaches and things to do. Check out travelocity, cheap caribbean and orbitz or expedia. Another website to check would be hotels.com for accommodations and comparison of prices.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:19 PM

If yo are talking about 3 full days that means 4 nights. That is the minimum for you loose 8 hrs. each way traveling. Also, rates now don't go down until April 15-May 1st so $500/day for 3 with food is a little tight.In early June the Abacos offer nice places for the $2000 amount excluding air fare.The temps are in the low to mid 80's and the water is 76-78.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Hi Lenora,
We have used gonowvacations.com out of balto/DC for a trip and know others who have used them too. They have last minute deals to all inclusive trips in your price range. I prefer smaller resorts, but you really can't beat the prices for warm sun. Check their hotline specials. You could also think about a cruise out of Galveston TX. You can still get there for a reasonable amount and the cruises are a good deal too. Just some ideas for you. Good luck
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM

One of the out islands of the Bahamas - Harbour Island - has a place called Pink Sands. Quite possibly one of the finest beaches you will ever see and the first week of April the water should be fine.