Help to pick an island

Mar 28th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Help to pick an island

We are debating between Grand Cayman, Aruba, and Costa Rica for a one week trip... any suggestions or help on these islands, would be appreciated. We are looking for a good mix of relaxation, adventure, and good food and drink. We are both in our 30's and going for an anniversary.
Mar 28th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Perhaps you mean Puerto Rico . Costa Rica is a Central American country . Wonderful choice , but not an island ... They could all be good choices depending on your types of activities . In Costa Rica you would have tremendous hiking , volcanos , cloud forests , rain forests , zip-lines , aerial trams , wonderful wildlife , great variation in topography , lovely beaches , surfing , and a huge variety of hotel choices . All this still less expensive than The Caribbean , although probably not for long !!
Mar 28th, 2006, 02:15 PM

You'll find precious little adventure in Grand Cayman or Aruba, so if that's what you're looking for I think you'd be disappointed. Faithie is right ... tell us more about your interests in particular and we might be able to make some suggestions. By the way, I wouldn't recommend Costa Rica very strongly for beaches, but that's just my opinion; I'd suggest you take a look at the Riviera Maya for those.
Mar 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Costa Rican beaches can be gems if you know what to expect . If you expect Caribbean Beaches( think Anguilla , T&C ) , Doug's correct , you would be disappointed . Oddly enough my best beach expeirences HAVE been in Costa rica , but my priorities are different from most ....
Mar 28th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Grand Cayman is just like the US - all the banks and the malls. I didn't like it because it was too similar. Plus, the beach wasn't ideal. Water gets very deep very quickly. You walk into the water and you fall right off.
Mar 30th, 2006, 04:01 PM

From your list only Costa Rica (which is not an island, nor in the Caribbean -lol) would fit the "adventure" requirement.

Actually I like Doug's suggestion of Mexico on the Caribbean side.
Mar 30th, 2006, 06:07 PM

I would also look into Ambergris Caye off of Belize. You could take a few excursions to the mainland for cave tubing, rainforest hikes and Mayan ruins. There is great snorkeling along the Belize Cayes, especially at the Hol Chan marine Reserve and off of Goff Caye. There is also an area (like in the Grand Cayman) where you can snorkel with the stingrays and nurse sharks.
Mar 30th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Hey, hey, hey... Doug and NYCDreamer, next time you come to Grand Cayman, please please get away from Seven Mile Beach which is (apart from teh gorgeous beach) yes, just like the US with malls etc.

Now, drive off 7MB and there is plenty to explore and adventure to have, from wall diving, free diving, caving, windsurfing, trail hiking.... I live here with three very active kids and never get bored

Fodors is great, but the best travel guide (and I helped edit it for Cayman is the Bradt Travel Guide... really gets to the heart of local knowledge.