Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help Selecting an Island for Solo Female Traveler

Feb 17th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

I'm a 29 year old American woman dying to take a break from the hustle and bustle. I have done very little Caribbean travel. I will be taking a five day vacation in the next month and don't know where to go. Safety is most important. I would like to be somewhere with a quiet beach but where I would have the opportunity to go out at night. Nothing crazy necessary, a few good bars would be enough. Also, I would prefer something on the nicer/glitzier side. Thank you!
Feb 18th, 2006, 02:13 AM

I'd suggest St. John or the BVI (Tortola, Virgin Gorda.) You might like St. Martin.
Feb 18th, 2006, 02:15 AM

Five days isn't long so I'm suggesting those since they're probably the easiest/fastest to get to from major east coast cities. Is that where you're traveling from?
Feb 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM

The problem with the Virgin Islands is nothing (with a few exceptions in St. Thomas) is really that "glitzy". You may have millionaires every few feet but most of the islands tend to be relaxed and casual, except for some of the resorts. I think the Virgin Islands fit your bill. It's nice enough if not "glitzy."
Feb 18th, 2006, 03:42 PM

hi goldie, just want to toss in an alternate that would probably suit you. provo in turks and caicos is a very safe island. the resorts are all located along stunning 12 mile long grace bay beach. most are condo style. loads of great dining options. this is a very laid - back bring some books, do some snorkeling kind of island. the bars are hardly wild but you can def find ppl to talk to. many of the resorts are quite new and may not by glitzy (not positive what you mean by this?) but are Very nice.
with only 5 days you should try for early am nonstop flight. so if we knew were you were and some budget ideas we could help you with more specifics.
even getting to st. john from st. thomas will take you an extra couple hours (both ways) depending on your connection to the ferry over. if you stayed on the east end of st.t (wyndham sugar bay which is ai, or the ritz or secret harbour) you could take a day trip to st. john.
if you like st. john you might look at caneel bay. nice resort w/several beaches.
Feb 18th, 2006, 03:58 PM

I would look at Anguilla as well.
www.anguillaforum.com Also, google Anguilla Guide, I don't know the URL.
Very friendly. Very low crime rate, although there was an incident recently in January where tourists were shot, not killed, (thank goodness), during a robbery, but this was at a Private Villa, not a resort. Not a lot of night life, but glitzy, for sure. Great restaurants, a couple of good beach bars. Stunning beach and water.
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:24 PM

I would second the recommendation of Providenciales in Turks and Caicos for a solo female traveler. This island is the safest Caribbean island I have visited, and there is a Club Med where singles would feel at home right on Grace Bay.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
afc

Hi
I was reading an article in a travel magazine a year or so ago about best Caribbean Islands for families. One of this authors top priorities was safety. He also tended to stick to Islands he considered major tourist destinations. As I recall he considered Aruba, Curacao, Bermuda and the Caymans tops for safety. At the bottom of his list were Jamaica, Bahamas( specifically Nassau and Freeport), St Thomas and St Croix and St Martin.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:26 PM

St.Barts only problem it is a bit of an effort to get there. Bermuda is nice but the weather can be up and down with regards to temp this time of year and not a part of the Caribbean.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your advice! I've narrowed my list down to Grand Cayman, Antigua (English Harbor) and Provo (Grace Bay). English Harbor would be nice but cruise ships stop there and the beaches can get crowded. (Please let me know if you don't agree). Provo sounds like it has the quiet I want but I'm worried that Provo it will be too quiet. I really do not want to go to Club Med. Has anyone out there found there to be even a small singles population in Provo? More wonderful advice would be greatly appreciated!
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:02 PM

I would also recommend Provo. I was there two years ago, by myself. I have two little ones and no babysitters and always took them on vacation. I needed a relaxing vacation and my husband let me go to Provo for a week, by myself. It was so wonderful, I haven't stopped talking about it and we're going as a family this April. I walked the beaches alone at night and felt safe. I even talked to a policeman at a restaurant who said it would be safe for me to walk alone. I met couples that I met for dinner and a sailing trip. I went to two very nice, romantic restaurants, by myself and the staff made me feel so comfortable that I didn't feel strange being alone. It's quiet but there are things to do at night. You can find some live music. You could take a sunset cruise. The restuarants are fabulous! I honestly can't wait to go back again. I also went to Grand Cayman alone this past summer. I had a good time but I'd still pick Provo. Good Luck with your decision.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:48 AM

The first time I went to Provo I went solo. I loved it so much, that when I got married, I went back with my husband, and now it's his favorite place.
A couple of ways to meet people without going to Club Med:
Go to happy hour at Ocean Club East on Mondays.
Mango Reef, Tiki Hut, Sharkbites, and Danny Bouoys are good happy hours to meet people.
Do an excursion with Silverdeep or JB Tours. You will meet people this way.
Friday night there is a band and dancing at Calico Jacks.
Saturday night there's dancing in the sand at Da Conch Shack.
Bambooz is a popular place with pool tables, karoake, dancing.
You can always get a night pass, (or day pass) at Club Med.
When I went, I didn't even need to go out at night.
It's a very safe upscale island.

I went to Antigua with my sister, and Caymans with an old boyfriend, so I didn't do them solo. But, I would still pick Provo out of the 3.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Think I might be sold on Provo. Right now, I have found availability in my price range at Caribbean Paradise Inn, Sibonne and Trade Winds. Ocean Club Resort (Main not West) is available but it is a bit more than I wanted to spend. I might be able to be persuaded but it really is a bit far from Port Call. Has anyone stayed at the hotels I've mentioned? Advice would be appreciated!
Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:15 AM

sibonne is clean, cute, and on a great stretch of beach. It is a little far to walk to Ports of call, especially in the dark. (Not because it's dangerous, just hard to see.) You can always get passes on Gecko for everywhere www.thegecko.tc
Fairly colse is Saltmills Cafe, excellent heartly breakfast for under $10.
comfort Suites is in your budget, it's right behind Ports of Call, but it's surrounded by construction right now.
I've always rented a car, especially on my own, so i don't stand around by myself waiting for taxis and rides. But the Gecko would allow you to go everywhere you want to go.
Sibonne is also close to Danny Bouoys and Bambooz.