Help Me! Need a resort recommendation!

Nov 28th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Help Me! Need a resort recommendation!

Hey guys,

First time my friends and I are going to the Caribbean. We are a mixture of couples and singles in our mid to late 20's. We are looking for an all inclusive resort. Something new and beautiful, however has lots of activities to keep us occupied. A nice beach and scuba diving would also be a plus. There are just sooo many islands/resorts out there and all with every great review, there is 2 bad reviews to go with it. I just want to hear from some of you "Foder folk" before I go making hasty decisions.

So, to conclude...what I am looking for is:
-All inclusive in the Caribbean region
-New resort, nice beach, beautiful island
-Lively resort with lots to do and see. I hear some resorts have street parties and just seem to have a vibrant nightlife as well.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mookie
Boston, MA.
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Since there are litterally thusands of resorts in the Caribbean you might find it easier to first pick an island that appeals to the majority of people in your group. Then you can narrow your choice of resorts.

FYI - You'll find lots of All Inclusives on the Dominican Republic, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, & Jamaica. You'll find great diving on Grand Cayman, in the US & British Virgin Islands and Bonaire.

Don't worry too much about the occasional bad reviews. It's difficult to please everybody and people tend to post complaints more readily than good experiences. Read the reviews with a grain of salt.
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:54 AM

I'm usually hesitant to make this recommendation, but Club Med Turks and Caicos seems like it may fit your bill. It's not a new resort (basic accommodations), and it definitely takes a certain personality to enjoy it (young, open-minded, don't mind being bothered/encouraged to participate in cheesy games while your laying by the pool), but it otherwise seems to meet your criteria.

Fun, lively all-inclusive resort with lots to do and lots of partying, nice beach (the island is generally arid with long stretches of beautiful beaches), caters to singles in your age group, and superb diving.
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:07 AM

You don't say what your budget is, but if you can afford it, Sandals has lots of activities and most of their resorts are adults only. Most also have reciprocal privileges with other Sandals resorts in the area. Their sister resort, Beaches, is also nice, but most are not adult only. I concur that your vacation is what you make it - if you expect everything to be perfect (like it is back home) you may be disappointed. And a new resort does not necessarily mean it is better - every new resort has a few kinks to iron out. Oh, and congratulations on the Red Sox!!
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:30 AM

(In response to widespreadpanic's post)I don't know if Sandals or Beaches will really meet Mookie's criteria -

In my experience - Sandals is primarily a "couples" resort with very few singles and primarily in Jamaica and Antigua (not great diving locales). A lot of their nightlyy entertainment revolve around couples.

Beaches is primarily a "family" resort with lots of kids (and Sesame Street characters) and probably not ideal for singles in their mid to late 20's or couples looking to escape kids.

Nov 30th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Check out Swept Away on Negril Beach in Jamaica. Haven't been there in a number of years, but at the time had most of what you are looking for.
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:31 AM

I agree with the Club Med suggestion, some of the clubs are VERY nice and have all the amenities you are looking for.

I have done 2 Martinique and Eleuthera (now closed) and had a great time at both clubs. Good food, loved the tennis and sailing.

You might look at the club med website for all club locations. I'd suggest Columbus Ile as a good choice.
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:51 AM

I think Club Med T&C may work for you. The accomodations are not 5star, but the beach is beautiful, diving is good and there's lots to do.
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:55 AM

i've rarely suggested club med tourqouse in turks and caicos either but it was what i thought of when i read your post. very little to do on island outside the resort except dive/snorkel.
agree completely with joepa that couples & sandals are about romance and breezes is family oriented.
club med tourquoise does not have a street dance but they do have music every night.
as an alternative you might look at some of the numerous ai's near playa del carman, mexico (or possibly even on cozumel). i recall looking at several ai's near pdc with clubs that did not even open until 9 or 10pm. mexico has gorgeous beaches, good scuba and snorkeling. most of them are quite new as this area has just developed in the past 10+ yrs. it's easy to fly to from everywhere. ai's for every budget. tons and tons of stuff to do out of the resorts as well as in them - zip lines, cenotes, ruins, z-caret marine park, atv jungle rides, shopping etc. the clubs can connect you to all this.
look at www.locogringo.com is mex interests you.
Dec 20th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Check out the Royal in Playa del Carmen,all adult but no all couples as were some of the recommended properties. Go to tripadvisor and read the ton of reviews.
Dec 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM
KVR

I agree with The Royal Playa del Carmen. It's all adult, but not couples only, likes Sandals or Couples. 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue for additional dining, bars, entertainment and shopping.

You'll be hard pressed to find an AI in the Caribbean with your critieria. Believe me I've tried. Not many Caribbean Islands offer AI.

Might check out Aruba also. They recently completed an RIU or look at the Occidental. It should meet your critieria.

Also, Nassau, Bahamas. Check out the RIU and Breezes.

Personally, I would not suggest Club Med on Turks and Cacios. The Island is quite boring. No decent nightlife or entertainment. It's all about the beach/ocean.