Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help me decide where to vacation... looking for an island getaway....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't sure where best to post this general question - thought I'd start here...

Husband and I are planning to take a vacation in early to mid November of this year. We have a few 'goals' in mind...

1) Relaxing beach getaway... looking for a nice resort... possibly all-inclusive (never done this before - don't want cheesy - but like the idea of not having to think about money once there)

2) We primarily want to relax and enjoy nice pools, beach, some water 'sports', etc.

3) Ideally - location would have some pretty sights/sightseeing nearby for the occassions we would like to depart from hotel/resort

4) Would like to keep this in the $2k range including airfare for 5 nights.

5) We'll be departing from Washington, DC

Any suggestions for a locale/island that fits the bill? I had zeroed in on Mexico/Cancun for the resort options and low prices. Wondering what else is similar that I'm not thinking of???

THANKS!!!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Have you considered St. Kitts?

Visit www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com for more information.

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Negril, Jamaica!

My husband and I got 4 nights/5days and 4 nights at Idle Awhile for $1300 total for both of us.(not all-inclusive)

This will be our first trip to Jamaica and have heard great things about Negril.

check out this website for more info. on Negril. www.negril.com

Good luck!!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:40 PM

"My husband and I got 4 nights/5days and 4 nights at Idle Awhile for $1300 total for both of us.(not all-inclusive)"

OOPS..I meant to say 4nights/5 days at Idle Awhile and flight for $1300 total for both of us.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:40 PM

We have travelled our fair share in the Caribbean and Mexico and the Mayan Riviera area south of Cancun is still our favorite destination so far. Cancun is very Americanized now, while the and Mayan Riviera area is more like old Mexico with wonderful new all inclusive resorts. There is so much to see and do in the area such as explore Mayan ruins, swim/snorkel in cenotes, eco/water parks, etc. or you can just do nothing if you wish. Playa del Carmen is just a short collectivo (very cheap transportation) or taxi cab away if you want to shop or drop in and have a drink one day or night.

I can personally recommend the Barcelo Maya resort. It has two beautiful huge pools with swim up bars and is on one of the best beaches in the area that even has on site snorkeling. There is a lot of water and land activities included with the all inclusive program at this resort and there is even one of the best theatres included and also one of the best discos in the area. Best of all there is no fighting for shade or lounge chairs at this resort so therer is no need to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve one as there are lots of lounge chairs and shade. Here is a private website set up by a lady (not me) who went to this resort and loved it so much that she set up her own website for it. It has lots of ifnromation and pictures. Check the sticky post at top of the discussion forum for links to vacationer's pictures of the resort and area. There is even a discussion forum to ask your questions if you want.

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/

It is very good value for the dollar, but there are so many other wonderfull all inclusives in this area of Mexico.

Once you have tried a good all inclusive resort you will love all the conveniences it offers. All inclusive is truly a no worries way of doing a vacation and you will basically know what your vacation will cost before you leave home and no big surprise on your hotel tab at the end of your vacation.

Whatever you do have a great vacation.