HELP Locals?

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 07:42 AM
Mike

HELP Locals?

I need to know how is it possible to ferry to St Thomas from San Juan, Puerto Rico with luggage? Also, is the Radisson Normandie in PR worth it? Which is a nice place to stay in Ponce? Or which parador is nice? What are the must do's in PR?

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 09:07 AM
Louis

Unless there has been recent changes, I know of no ferry between St. Thomas and Pureto Rico. If you just overnighting in Ponce, we enjoyed the Melia (I think this is its name) due to its location very near old town overlooking the square. Be certain to get a room overlooking the square and fountain. Watching the fountain light show and the people in the square at night is great fun. The Parador that we enjoyed the most was Hacienda Gripinas in Jayuya a 200 year old mansion in a coffee plantation. Parrado VIlla Parguera in La Parguera, Lajas is ok and a good stop for the Phosphorescent Bay. The Camuy Caves is a must visit. They are almost as good as Carlsbad Caverns. Also the Ponce Museum of Art is a lovely small museum. This is from several years back and I don't know what changes that the last major hurricane made if any.

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 01:46 PM
Karen

There was a twice monthly ferry between PR and St. Thomas/St. John leaving the USVI on Friday late afternoon and returning Sunday afternoon/evening. One way way was $60 and r/t was $100. You might call Transportation Services at 304-776-6282 in St. Thomas and see if it is still running. There also used to be a web site at bluewatermaritime.com
You know there is no beach at the Normandie ... it is an interesting art-deco building and they were refuburishing it last I heard!

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 04:55 PM
Joe Raphael

Mike, forget about taking a ferry. The short flights are beautiful and perfectly safe. As to the Radisson Normandie is a historic, beautifully restored Art-Deco hotel, ship-shaped, and beautifully located hotel next to the Caribe Hilton. There are too many things to do in Puerto Rico. First call the P.R. Dept. of Tourism in N.Y. or L.A. toll free 800-555-1212 for their no. and ask them to send you their magazine. It has all the info you'll need with lots of photos. A great parador is Perichi's on the southwest coast (off 102Rd.) between Joyuda Beach and Puerto Real. To really enjoy Puerto Rico you must do your homework. The things that you like to do, your finances, and your age are factors that will determine what type of vacation to seek in the "Enchanted Island".

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 02:24 PM
Mike

Thanks for the replies. I am researching the trip to Puerto Rico and I was considering spending some time at a Parador. I really like scenic drives and any information about the roads would be appreciated.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 03:02 PM
Louis

All of the road are paved, good and with least two lanes. The roads though the interior have little traffic. Most of the traffic congestion is around San Juan. Buy a good map before you go at your local map or travel store. We used a map published by Gousha Travel Publication, which was priced at $2.50, and it had all of the information that we needed including the location of paradors, points of interest and hotels. It also had good detail maps of major towns. The Puerto Rico Toursit Bureau has good info on all of the Paradors and there was an 800 number for reservations when we were last there. The mountain roads are lovely. There was one town, however that I drove into and could not find my way out in the maze of one way streets. One kindly woman led me out in her car. The people in Puerto Rico are friendly and nice. Their coffee is some of the best in the world. Buy some beans when you leave.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 07:24 AM
anne

just back from PR on 1/17 and wanted to inform that the Radisson Normandie is closed for renovations. The Wyndam El San Juan Hotel is a must for nightime. The Lobby is beautiful, and lively with bands each night. DON'T eat at Ramiro's- very bad experience. Enjoy!!