Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best part of Bahamas & how to get there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2000, 03:58 PM
Cheryl

We would like to revisit the Bahamas in late May and early June. We stayed in Comfort Suites on Paradise Island the first time and would like to try another island possibly. Does anyone have suggestions and how to get to the different islands? We are trying to watch our spending. Thanks for any help!

Old Jan 2nd, 2000, 04:57 PM
Tracey

Hi Cheryl, <BR> Just wondering how you like the comfort suites? Thinking of going to Paradise Island , but don't know where to stay. Thinking of Atlantis but heard it's expense. What do you suggest? Are the comfort suites nice? Could use some input. Thanks! <BR> <BR> Sincerely, <BR> Tracey

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 03:28 AM
Cheryl

Tracey- <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Comfort Suites in early June of 1998. It was clean and the rooms were large. It had 2 double beds and another area with couch,TV, table and I believe a microwave. There was a balcony, but it was not usable as it was small. We especially liked the continental breakfast which came with the room. It saved a little money. Atlantis is across a narrow street and there were no problem using the facilities there. Atlantis is VERY nice but you do pay for it. Shopping and restaurants are within easy walking distance from either. Meals can be expensive. I would highly recommend Comfort Suites, but it is not near as high a caliber as Atlantis. It would be hard to top Atlantis. If you are happy with a few less amenities, Comfort Suites would be very comfortable for you. If we decide to go back to the same area of the Bahamas, we would definitely stay at Comfort Suites again. <BR>Hope this is of some help. Please write if you have any further questions. <BR> <BR>Cheryl

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 07:11 PM
BOB

TRACY; ALSO, THE COMFORT SUITES HAS A NICE SWIM UP BAR IN THE UNCROWDED POOL. STAFF THERE IS VERY NICE AND FRIENDLY. TO THE LEFT OF THE PARADISE ISLAND BRIDGE IS A LITTLE SHOPPING CENTER, CALLED HURRICANE HOLE, I BELIEVE. A NEAT DELI THERE SERVES SOUP AND SANDWICHES, PIZZA, ETC. FOR AN INEXPENSIVE PRICE. ALSO, YOU CAN ORDER A DOMINOE'S PIZZA RIGHT TO YOUR ROOM AT COMFORT SUITES(CS). FROM CS, WALK ACROSS THE PI BRIDGE TO BAY STREET, TURN LEFT AND WALK TO THE POOP DECK, A MODERATELY PRICED RESTAURANT WITH GREAT SEA FOOD. THE GROUPER IS GREAT. THERE IS ALSO A SUBWAY ON THE NASSAU SIDE OF THE BRIDGE. FROM THE CS, WALK TO THE RIGHT OF THE PI BRIDGE AND YOU'LL FIND A LITTLE PATH LEADING TO A FERRY, AND FOR ONLY SEVERAL DOLLARS A PIECE, IT WILL TAKE YOU TO NASSAU'S DOWNTOWN MARKET AREA, BY THE STRAW MARKET, TOO. WALK FOR ONE MINUTE AND ACROSS THE OLD BRITISH COLONIAL HOTEL ARE NEAT RESTAURANTS, WHICH SERVE GREAT FOOD AND KAHLIK BEER FOR INEXPENSIVE PRICES. ONE IS CALLED THE "CONCH---SOMETHING OR OTHER" I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME, BUT IT'S RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE BRITISH COLONIAL. ALSO, VISIT THE WYNN DIXIE GROCERY STORE ON DOWNTOWN BAY STREET AND STOCK UP ON SNACKS FOR THE ROOM. EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS. BOB

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 10:51 AM
Noah

I discovered two places in the Bahamas which look quite nice and seem like real bargains. It may even have been people on this forum who told me about them. <BR> <BR>http://www.oceanviewcottage.com/ <BR> <BR>http://members.aol.com/PeliPoint/index.html

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 03:01 PM
Dan

Go to Harbour Island off of North Eleuthera-a wonderful island of 1000 friendly people, pink sands, 200+ years of history. Originally the capital of the Bahamas, when USA plantationers, loyal to the crown, settled there after USA revoltionary war. Stay at the Bahama House Inn, the only bed and breakfast in Dunmore town. See www.bahamahouseinn.com <BR>

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 10:15 AM
jayne

We enjoyed staying at Chaplin House Guest Cottages on Paradise Island. It gives you the sense of being in the outer islands but has the covenience of being near Nassau. It's a cluster of Bahamian style cottages (w/kitchen and nice front porch), with Nassau Harbor in your "front yard", Paradise Beach behind you and a tropical garden in between. Quite inexpensive for the Carribbean too. A long but walkable distance from Atlantis if you want to spend a day there. There's no road to the cottages--the owner drives you around by boat, or you can walk down the beach.