Help Compare Marriott Hotels in Caribbean

Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:06 PM
Aries

Help Compare Marriott Hotels in Caribbean

I am looking for some feedback about Marriott resorts in the Caribbean (we will be using Marriott points for the stay.) I am looking for a resort with beautiful grounds and pool area, swim up pool bar preferable, great beach, great service, drinks served by pool, and not too many kids.(We are a couple in our late 20's).

To give you an idea of what we're looking for, we have stayed at Maui and Kauai Marriotts - we thought the Kauai Marriott was wonderful; Maui Marriott was nice, but nothing special. Also stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman and were very unimpressed. The beach was too small and the pool area was small, old, not clean, and there were too many kids.

Any feedback on the Marriott hotels in the Caribbean would be greatly appreciated:

St. Thomas: Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar (also, what is the difference?) and Renaissance Grand Beach Hotel

Curacao

Aruba

Cancun (sorry if this is not considered "caribbean island")

Cayman Islands (are we the only ones who didn't like this hotel?)

Nassau, Bahamas

THANKS in advance for your help.

Jan 6th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Topper

t

Jan 8th, 2002, 07:58 AM
melissa

Hello-I stayed at the Marriot in Aruba last spring and liked it very much-there are kids but not all over the place-it probably will also depend on what time of year you go-the rooms were very nice as are the grounds-there is a swim up pool and a nice workout area-the food at the beach and pool area is also good-the beach is very nice and has a lot of chairs and shade areas-I went with 2 friends and we all liked it-hope that helps

Feb 15th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Kim & Dave

Hope this isn't too late for you...we just got back from Cancun and LOVED it. We stayed at the brand new JW Marriott and found it to be well worth the price. We did not pay rack rates, ($275-325) got our booking thru Expedia.com. (Saved $1,900, stayed 9 nights).
If you want ultimate luxury and service, this is it. Rooms are comfy, beach is wonderful and lit up at night, which we appreciated. Hotel Restaurant (Salsa) was a sumptuous buffet feast. Bathroom was simply elegant. Staff was eager to please and cheerful. Quiet, not many children, which was nice. Pool was exceptional and meandered for miles around the grounds. There was a swim-up bar and a scuba area too. Wherever we went to eat off the grounds, we were asked where we were staying. On hearing "JW Marriott", their reaction was always, "Oooh, that's a very nice place!" And it was. Across the street is a wonderful Italian Restaurant, La Dolce Vita. We ate numerous times at 100% Natural, a great, reasonably priced restaurant just a short bus ride up the Avenue at the Kukulcan Plaza. Our only complaint: the beds are VERY firm. Had to get a padded mattress cover to make it bearable. We would definitely go back!

Feb 15th, 2002, 11:48 AM
domato

Beach at Aruba Marriott beats the heck out of Grand Cayman Marriott beach and the St. Thomas properties you mentioned.

Frenchmen's and Morningstar are part of the same complex and both use Morningstar Beach, which is just okay. Renaissance beach is also just okay, but you can walk to Coki Beach, which is very nice when it's not full of cruise ship people.

In general I like St. Thomas more than Aruba but if I had to stay at a Marriott I might pick Aruba over STT.

Can't comment on the others.

Feb 16th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Bud

Of all of the Marriotts resorts in the Caribbean, the Morningstar Resort on St. Thomas is the best. Avoid the one in Nassau. Aruba is very nice also, but St. Thomas just underwent a makeover and is superb. Liked the island of Aruba better though.

Feb 17th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Emily

I think one of the best choices is to use your Marriott points at the Ritz in STT. We did this last year and it was great..

Feb 18th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Denni

The Nassau Marriott is an old dinosaur in desperate need of a complete renovation and hiring of new staff. The hotel has paint peeling everywhere and an escalator permanently out of order. The rooms smell musty and are completely covered in stains. There are live roaches throughout the rooms. The furniture is broken, the bed linen was stained, dirty and had hairs on it from the previous customers. The balconies were jammed. The restaurant staff is arrogant and lazy. And the front desk just switches you from one nasty room to another when you complain. They are used to it. We were there during Thanksgiving week last November. We paid $300.00 per night for an oceanfront room. This vacation was a disaster. We would never return to the Nassau Marriott or Nassau. Please look elsewhere. We did enjoy the Aruba Marriott.

Mar 29th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Sari G

We stayed at Los Suenos in Costa Rica in Jan. 2002. It is a new beautiful resort and the CR people are wonderful.The beach is not spectacular at all, but the pool is and you can sight see at many wonderful places where there are fabulous beaches. We loved CR! One can sit on a chaise lounge on grass facing the water but have to walk over dirt to get to the water. I, too, am looking for someplace to stay next winter with points and booked Grand Cayman but after reading your post I don't think I want to go there!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Christie

My husband and I stayed at the Aruba Marriott last October and had a blast. We are in our early 30's and are always concerned about too many kids on our travels, especially since it was our anniversary. There weren's a lot of kids at all, but that may be because of the time of year.

The rooms are clean and not too small with ample bathroom space, the pool had a swim-up bar and the tiki huts made the already great beach extra fun.
One more thing, the Aruba Marriott Ocean Club (timeshare), is next door. You can use their facilities as well such as the pool, SPA, etc.

Good Luck!

Apr 4th, 2002, 01:01 PM
vicki

I own a Marriott timeshare and have visited many hotels. Based on your experiences I would recommend the Marriott in Aurba as well. It has everything you are looking for. There may be some children around but they are mostly next door in the timeshare. The Marriott in St. Thomas is nice I just returned from a trip there in Feb. However, when using points you won't get a room at the Morning Star just the Reef which was beautiful but no beach right there. The Ritz in St. Thomas was wonderful but not anywhere near town and taxis are expensive. We stayed 7 night at Marriott and 1 at Ritz it is alot of points for a hotel. Enjoyed St. Thomas but LOVE Aruba and Aruba has more nightlife and more I think of what you are looking for. Did not like the Renaissance the location was not as good although we just looked at it. But the Hotel in St. Thomas is very nice and that was a beautiful trip you would be happy but Aruba is a little nicer and newer. Skip the Bahamas all together don't like that island. Haven't been to Mexico in a long time as I got sick there. I think you will love Aruba!! We did and bought a timeshare there.

Search this Thread