Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Attire for Caribbean Renewal of Vows Ceremony?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Mairi

Hubby and I are travelling to Jamaica for our anniversary in a few weeks, and will be renewing our vows on the beach while there. I know this is only tangentially related to travel, but I have no idea what might be appropriate attire for our renewal of vows ceremony (will be either on the beach or in a small gazebo on the beach). Something similar to a simple wedding dress? A formal dress? Simple sundress? Would like to hear from anyone who has done this before, or seen it done before, and hear what you wore (or saw people wear!)

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Statia

Haven't done it before, but have seen anything from shorts to simple sundresses (with bare feet) to elaborate wedding dresses. Depends really on what YOU want. Ask the hotel you're dealing with if they have any sort of dress code and then go from there.<BR><BR>Keep in mind that it will be quite warm and you'll have to haul it with you, so the simpler side would be a good idea.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:34 AM
hmmmmm

So romantic and I personally would have the same question too! I would wear whatever you feel best in. Maybe something in a light color and of a light weight material. Linen maybe? If it were me, I would wear a pastel colored linen or chiffon dress, barefoot maybe, flowers in my hair and for hubby, linen slacks with a tropical shirt. Good luck and Congratulations!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Susan

My husband and I want to do this too. But we've only been married for 3 years, but want to do it for our 5th.<BR><BR>I would wear a chiffon type dress, with speghetti straps. Definitely an updo, with hair falling from hair. Some little flowers in my hair. Something that you feel really romantic and sexy in. <BR><BR>I'm with Statia, husband in linen white pants with a tropical shirt. I can just picture my hubby now...How romantic.<BR><BR>But definitely, whatever YOU feel happy with, that is what you should wear.<BR><BR>HOW FUN!!<BR><BR>CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!<BR><BR>What resort will you be renewing your vows @?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Amy

Hi Mairi-<BR>I myself was married last year at Grand Lido Negril in Jamaica. You do really see a little bit of everything. I saw girls in formal wedding gowns & men in tuxes to people in bathing suits with wraps on....<BR>I myself decided on a knee length off white, short sleeve very simple dress. My husband wore black dress pants and a short sleeve off white dress shirt-no tie. We had 12 people with us. All the women wore sundresses and the men were in docker style pants with some sort of short sleeved shirt.<BR>I agree that whatever you feel comfortable will be more than appropriate. <BR>We too are planning to go back and renew our vows-hopefully for our 5th anniversary!<BR>Amy

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Kim

Being it you renewed wedding vows wear something nice, if its an evening wedding you can go a little bit more fancy. I think for an afternoon wedding something simple but elegant. have fun!