Help choosing A all inclusive resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2018, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like some advice choosing a Adults all inclusive resort . Last year We stayed at the excellence in punta cana and really liked it. I'm looking for something similar but maybe on a island where we can leave the resort once in a while and hang out in a quaint beach town for some shopping and dining. I didn't feel like that was a option in punta Cana but perhaps I'm wrong. As for the resort _ we prefer paying a little extra for a higher rated place . We thought excellence delivered that, in fact we might just go back there.

Last edited by lobstercraven; Dec 10th, 2018 at 05:09 AM.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 06:27 AM

Usually when AI + Caribbean are mentioned, the usual options of DR, Jamaica and Mexico are wheeled out. If you liked DR, Mexico is probably a good option for you, big resorts, plenty of amenities and dining options. Jamaica is not a place I would venture outside of a resort, unless I stayed in Negril which is perfectly ok to go wandering on your own, but does not have any AIs directly on 7 Mile Beach. Doesn't need any either, with plenty of dining and accommodation options right on the beach.

Looking beyond the usual suggestions, there are many AI resorts in Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia and Tobago, plus one (or 2?) options on T&C. However if you enjoyed DR, not sure if any of these quiet islands would be suitable, if you like the party vibe of DR and some of it's hotels. Where are you flying from, what time of year and what is the budget? Any of these might limit your options.
Aside from AI resorts, there are hotels that offer AI meal plan, so you could have AI meal plan in some hotels in St Kitts/Nevis for example.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We live in Maine but do most of our long range flying out of Boston which is pretty convenient for us. This will be a 2nd week in January trip so that's coming right up .looking to keep the budget under 6k for 2 including flights
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 08:39 AM

Check out some of the many AI’s in Playa del Carmen (just south of Cancun). Most are within walking distance of the town where there’s plenty of shops, restaurants and and nightlife. You’ll have no difficulty finding plenty of options in your price range.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 09:31 AM

There are direct flights from BOS to Barbados and St Lucia on Jetblue and to Antigua via EWR on UA. Its peak time in the Caribbean for these islands, esp Barbados, all of which are well served from the UK.
Crystal Cove in Barbados is a premium AI property but there are others
St Lucia has a couple of Sandals properties and other AIs
Antigua has lots of AIs, inc Sandals and others
These are very different islands to DR so would research first.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 01:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mayan Riviera (the Caribbean coast of Mexico)
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Odin
There are direct flights from BOS to Barbados and St Lucia on Jetblue and to Antigua via EWR on UA. Its peak time in the Caribbean for these islands, esp Barbados, all of which are well served from the UK.
Crystal Cove in Barbados is a premium AI property but there are others
St Lucia has a couple of Sandals properties and other AIs
Antigua has lots of AIs, inc Sandals and others
These are very different islands to DR so would research first.
can anyone tell me more about St. Lucia? Would we need to rent a car to visit any of the villages? Is the area safe ? Did they survive the Hurricanes ok? We're not really into the late night stuff . It's nice to catch a live show sometimes but most of the time it's sight- seeing and relaxing around the pool or beach. I like the AL's because you don't have to worry too much about food and drink. It's nice sometimes just to get away from the resort once or twice and we really like small quaint seaside towns . We like the idea of checking out the tropical areas however my wife's foot doesn't allow for any serious hiking. Thanks for all the info - appreciate everyone's time 😊
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 03:17 PM

Renting a car is easy in St Lucia but not all the roads are in great condition and some claim the road from the international airport is so windy & hilly it makes them car sick. Personally I have never found it so and rent a small jeep from the airport from Cool Breeze.
You don’t necessarily need a car if you stay in the north part of the island, around Reduit Beach. In the south, some of the hotels can be remote and having a car is useful for getting around. They drive on the left. The island is as “safe” as any other Caribbean island, during the day no issue but would take care at night, stick to tourist areas. You can certainly tour the island on your own.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 03:52 PM

(btw~ you could have left the resort in Punta Cana...)
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Odin
Renting a car is easy in St Lucia but not all the roads are in great condition and some claim the road from the international airport is so windy & hilly it makes them car sick. Personally I have never found it so and rent a small jeep from the airport from Cool Breeze.
You don’t necessarily need a car if you stay in the north part of the island, around Reduit Beach. In the south, some of the hotels can be remote and having a car is useful for getting around. They drive on the left. The island is as “safe” as any other Caribbean island, during the day no issue but would take care at night, stick to tourist areas. You can certainly tour the island on your own.
What would you recommend for AI's in the reduit beach area? How long a drive is that area from the airport ? I could drive all day but unfortunately my wife gets car sick so maybe that's going to be a issue. Btw I've been reading several of the threads and your posts . Trying to get as much info w/o asking too many questions😁
Narrowing things down to the DR or SL because of the direct flight options
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
(btw~ you could have left the resort in Punta Cana...)
do you have any advice on where to go for a day trip - no more then a hour ? Just looking for some safe beach/ fishing village 1/2 day trip
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

We decided to go to punta Cana again. This trip was too last minute for flights else ware . We are going to put Saint Lucia on the bucket list. Thanks Odin and others for the advice.
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 12:23 AM

2nd week Jan 2019 is very short notice, flights & hotels will be full, if not full, very expensive.
Barbados is also served directly from BOS, it's a great island, beautiful beaches and lots of picturesque fishing villages on the windy east coast
Of all my friends/family who have been to DR, none left the resort, they left it was too uncomfortable and menacing atmosphere outside the hotel gates.
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 02:59 PM

I've been to Puerta Plata and Sosua and we did not stay on a resort. One was a hotel, the other trip a house rental. I would never travel to a place that felt "too uncomfortable" or "manacing" for me to be out and about. That's not my idea of a vacation. But I guess must be alright for some people.
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
I've been to Puerta Plata and Sosua and we did not stay on a resort. One was a hotel, the other trip a house rental. I would never travel to a place that felt "too uncomfortable" or "manacing" for me to be out and about. That's not my idea of a vacation. But I guess must be alright for some people.
those two places look interesting . I would like to visit that area but they're probably too far for a day trip from punta Cana . I'm looking for something a little closer . Maybe I can find a excursion that the resort offers. I'm on the fence about renting a car. Thanks
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 10:54 AM

Oh sorry, yes I know those don't work from Punta Cana. I was more trying to make the comment that not everyone only stays only on an All-Inclusive Resort property. Honestly I'm not that big of fan of the DR compared to other options (Jamaica, Mexico, Hawaii) so haven't been back.
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 09:33 AM

For your future travels, I stayed at the Excellence resort in Riviera Cancun (between Cancun and Playa del Carmen) and it was excellent all around.
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobinBinNYC
For your future travels, I stayed at the Excellence resort in Riviera Cancun (between Cancun and Playa del Carmen) and it was excellent all around.
good to know thank you ; did you leave the resort ?
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like you, we have stayed at Excellence Punta Cana and enjoyed the resort.
However, we much prefer the Riviera Maya area of Mexico. There are so many wonderful AI resorts and YES, we leave the resort and feel fine doing so.
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 06:51 AM

For future ref we stayed in a nice resort on Playa del Carmen too at the end of a trip in Mexico, AI with 5 differetn restuarants, a part all adults (what do theydo there ?), we stayed in the part children allwoed, and went out semtimes (we are not the type who can stay secluded for a full homiday). Sandos Playacar was the name.
We stayed decades ago in Punta Cana (Bravos ? something like that) - nice too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -