Help Choose Between 3 Lodgings GC

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Choose Between 3 Lodgings GC

I think I've narrowed it down to the following three places for a trip in July 2004: Treasure Island Condos, Westin, Plantana. I like quiet but I also like to be able to walk to the action if I feel the need. Does anyone have a preference re the three or maybe thoughts on another property? Thanks so much.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:52 PM

Given that two are condos and one a hotel, I think you need to give some more guidance on why you shortlisted these three and what is important to you
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 04:41 AM

Elaine, first of all, how many are going. If it's a family, then I would opt for a condo. I heard Treasure Island is having problems and the beach there isn't so great.

Plantana has a wonderful beach and is supposed to be really nice. We are going in Feb. and staying at Villas of Galleon, which is right next door to Weston. (as well as Plantana)

If your looking for a hotel, then Weston is nice and is in a central location.

We used caymancondoservice.com and they were very helpful. Also caymanvacations.com is good.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 04:56 AM

My husband and I went to the Treasure Island Condos last winter - I was a little nervous about all the mixed reviews, but we both loved it. I loved having a kitchen for breakfast & lunch, when we wanted to eat it and we snorkeled every day, right there at the beach. The beach was fine.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 10:54 AM

We have stayed at the Treasure Island, Hyatt and Regal Beach Condos (next door to the Marriott) I didn't like TI but it was just a small hotel room. I don't think the beach is good there at all. We are going back to the Regal Beach this year just because we love it, but I have relatives who will only stay at the Westin.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:03 AM

Am looking for a hotel on Grand Cayman beach with a coral reef offshore so I can snorkel, film and Id. reef fish whenever I get the whim to. Reef must be no more than 30-40 feet off the beach. Is there a hotel like this, with nice beach and snorkeling reefs just offshore? Please advise and thank you. Robert
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:44 PM

Robert, re snorkelling reefs, most of the hotels and condos are on Seven Mile Beach, no go for snorkelling there, beautiful clear water, but simple sandy bottom

Now Colliers Bay (home of The Reef) is renowned for such world class snorkelling right off the beach.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

It will just be my husband and myself for our 10 year anniversary. I think I'm leaning towards a condo as I like the fact that you can do some of your own cooking and I also like the idea of having an oceanfront, screened in porch where you can hang out and relax. In a hotel you wouldn't get that. I've only snorkeled a few times but really like it so I would like to do that as well as maybe try diving. I guess the rest of the time would be spent exploring the island. There are so many different condos that is hard to pick one. Since I first posted my message I've found some others that look nice also. I would like to be in a location where you could easily walk to different restaurants, etc. unless someone can give me some details about another area of the island other than 7MB, I'd be willing to take any suggestions into consideration and would most certainly appreciate it!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:48 AM

We stayed at the Discover Point Condos in November of 2002. Loved it and highly recommend it although it is near the northern part of 7MB so you'd want to rent a car. But the condos are cheaper on that end versus in the middle near the Westin which are more economical when you have a larger family or other couples sharing. I found for just 2 people the condos on the northern end were less expensive. Plus there is Cemetary Reef only a few 100 yards north of Discovery Point where you can snorkel, not quite as good as the Stringray City area but not bad. The condo was clean, great views, great pool and beach, the Agua Bay condos are just north of them and looked good too. BOth have full kitchens so we ate both breakfast and lunch at the condo. Have fun!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:02 AM

We loved Plantana and would return there again in a heart beat! It was a great location, with a beautiful beachfront and the condo was prefect for the four of us, nice and clean with maid service except on Sunday. We stayed at Plantana the first week in December 2003. One tip I will offer: No matter where you stay on SMB, try to stay oceanfront or as close as you can, away from West Bay Road as the traffic can be busy and loud. The condo's are located very close to the road.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:03 PM

Plantana is supposed to be great, but not sure if they have 1 bedroom condos. I know Villas of Galleon do.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 06:46 AM

HI.
Plantana is beautiful. Wish I were there now!
Anyway, I think they do have 1 bedroom units, but I believe that they are farther in, i.e. away from the water.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom, with screened in porch. Unbelievable.
They did have a website, but looks like they have pulled it (maybe re-doing it).
Anyway, enjoy.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:57 AM

www.plantanacayman.com/