Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help! Airline changed our flight & now I need a room for one night in MoBay!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When doing my occasional check of my itinerary for my trip this May to Negril, I found that the airline had cancelled my flight and rebooked me on one getting into MoBay the following day! Of course they didn't alert me, but now my only choice is to rebook on another carrier which will cost me about $850 for 2 tickets, or take the flight out a day earlier than planned.

We've decided it is cheaper to fly out early than to buy more tickets (originals were with FF miles), so now I need a place to stay. We are scheduled for 3 nights at Tensing Pen in Negril before heading to Sandals Negril for the rest of our trip. Tensing Pen doesn't have availability for the new night, so I'm thinking about staying in Montego Bay that first night. I don't want to spend a lot, since we hadn't planned on this extra expense.

Can anyone recommend a nice, quiet place that wouldn't be too overrun with children? This trip is for our 10 year anniversary and we wanted something low-key or adults only.

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Anyone???

I was looking at the Holiday Inn Sunspree for the night. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:37 AM

Why not just get to Negril and stay a night on the beach at a place like Idle Awhile or Coco La Palm. You'll have plenty of choices in May....might as well get to Negril ASAP!
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

<Why not just get to Negril and stay a night on the beach at a place like Idle Awhile or Coco La Palm.>

I thought about that, but since I've never been to MoBay before, I thought maybe we'd take this opportunity to check it out. I haven't ruled out going straight to Negril though.

Thanks for the reply!

Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:20 PM

Well, if you are looking to stay in a quiet place without many kids, Holiday Inn Sunspree is about the opposite of what you are looking for.

Perhaps you might stay at the Sandals Inn in MoBay itself (not on the beach), but I don't know how expensive it is these days (perhaps you'd get a good price since you are staying at another Sandals).

I'd actually second the suggestions of others and move on to Negril right away. There are a lot of small, inexpensive hotels in Negril to choose from. Negril Gardens is another small, Sandals-owned property right on the beach that's pretty reasonable.

Sunset Beach Resort is also a cheaper option in MoBay itself, and it might be ok for a night.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:12 AM

We extended our stay our first year and needed a place for 2 nights since the AI we were staying at was booked, we extended on the front end of our trip, we stayed at Coco La Palm, it was inexpensive a great location on 7 Mile Beach and fit the bill. They provided us with transportation as well.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM

I too think I would go straight to Negril and would recommend CoCo La Palm. It is in a great location on Negril Beach. Sandal's is on Bloody Bay, not the main strand of Negril Beach. We really liked the view from the beachfront rooms.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 01:49 PM

If you really want MoBay, I can recommend El Greco. Quiet for sure, secure, modern suites, a pool, and access to Doctor's Cave beach via a walkway to a tall building on the lower road, an elevator and stroll across the street.

http://www.elgrecojamaica.com/