HELP! About to book Grand Lido

Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:49 AM
ellen

HELP! About to book Grand Lido

hi! my husband and i are planning a trip to GL-Negril for the first part of july. what should we expect? i'm from florida, so the heat shouldn't bother me, but will it be unbearable for my husband? we want to do several of the watersports. also, the resort looks fabulous-has anyone been there lately? one more thing, we'd like to take a few excursions-any suggestions? thanks in advance.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:14 AM
hmm

bump-i'm also interested

Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:28 AM
Amy

Ellen-
I was at GLN last Feb. The weather was great then. I have heard that it gets a little warm during the summer.
Some parts of the resort are starting to show their age. All in all though, it was incredibly clean & well manicured. They are starting to remodel some of the rooms, but it's slow going. I felt our room was in good shape but the bathroom needed some updating. The amount of time that we spent in our room was so minimal....
The watersports are great! You can go snorkeling, scuba diving, sailing, etc..The Bloddy Bay where GLN is situated is very lovely. It is very calm and rarely do they have to cancel any water activities due to high winds/waves.
As far as excursions go-we went on the catamarran trip otherwise known as the booze cruise. This was a lot of fun. We also went para sailing. We also enjoyed that tremendously. You can sign up for all of the excursions at the resort & charge it to your room-very handy.
Have a great trip!
Amy

Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:43 AM
Penney

GLN is a beautiful resort - very luxurious, gorgeous grounds, very peaceful and romantic. Excellent food and the people are super friendly.

We were there in August and it was hot but short afternoon rain spells did cool things off a tad. Nights too were warm but there was a breeze which made things bearable!

Go into town - Negril is a great area of the island. Ricks Cafe is a popular spot for cliff diving at sunset - water is so unbelievably clear and blue!

Apr 4th, 2002, 05:26 AM
glo

rick's cafe is fun, but that other place (can't remember the name, something about a parrot maybe?) is better. more laid back and not as touristy. enjoy!

Apr 4th, 2002, 06:56 AM
beach lover

it's the pickled parrot!
also try the rockhouse, just down the road further west towards rick's. the restaurant there is very good & the setting along the cliffs is gorgeous.

Apr 4th, 2002, 07:43 AM
ellen

thanks for the advice-i'm really looking forward to it. if anyone has recently returned from there, i'd appreciate a report!

Apr 4th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Amy

Ellen-
Hi again.
The Catamarran trip that we went on took us to the Pickled Pirate. One of the other posters mentioned it-what a riot!
Here is my trip report. It is a year old...
http://www.geocities.com/mhight_74/GLN_link/GLN_Frame.html
Go to trip reports 2001 and click on Amy & Steve.
Amy

Apr 4th, 2002, 10:51 AM
ellen

thanks amy! that's the most helpful site i've found so far!