Have you been to both St. John and St. Lucia?

Nov 27th, 2002, 04:07 PM
wondering

Have you been to both St. John and St. Lucia?

We vacationed in St. John last year and loved it (particularly the laid-back atmosphere and the unspoiled, natural beauty) but want to try someplace new. For our next trip we're considering St. Lucia. I've done some research and know about some of the differences (i.e. poorer beaches on STL) but I'm looking for opinions from someone who's been to both islands. Did you like one better than the other and if so, why? If you liked St. John, did you also like St. Lucia?

Nov 27th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Paul

These are our two favorite islands. We enjoy the peace and quiet of St. John and the beaches. It is very quiet on St. John at night but there is still late night fun to be had.
St. Lucia is a beautiful island that offers a variety of activity. There are more people on ST.Lucia but you can always find an unoccupied stretch of beach. The beaches on St. Lucia are nice too. Look for Sule's beach. Castries and Rodney Bay can be busy. Try to get to some of the smaller "towns" along the leeward side south of Castries. St. Lucia offers rain forest, the volcano, and beautiful botanical gardens. It has the feel of a true Caribbean island, where St. John is a little more like an American island. Experience a "jump up" on St. Lucia and you'll be hooked.
Answering your question, no we did not like one better than the other. Both are great choices. Remember, Castries has 65,000 people. If you get caught at the wrong time in town it can be a pain. The whole island of St.John has 3000.

Nov 27th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Cathy

I like both islands for different reasons. Population makes a big difference. St. John is less populated and since it is less developed and more natural, you will see little if any poverty. I love St. John for its natural attractions.

St. Lucia is more lush and tropical and dramatic in geography. I love the rain forest and the Pitons. You can see a little more poverty on the island because it is more populated, but I have always enjoyed myself on St. Lucia and have always been treated well by the St. Lucians.

Paul mentioned some good beach choices, but my favorite is Anse Chastenet. It is a grey/black volcanic sand beach and has pretty palm trees and mountains and the Pitons for views. Also have very nice snorkeling, which I like. There are a lot of activites to do there. Don't forget to buy some banana ketchup!!!

Nov 27th, 2002, 06:42 PM
just got home

St. Lucia is beautiful but pooooooor. If you don't mind the extreme poverty then have fun. Personally once was enough. The snorkeling in trunk bay at st john was great.

Nov 29th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Robyn

Wondering: I think you would be disappointed in St. Lucia if you liked St. John. Granted, it's very scenic. (The Pitons are spectacular), it's not laid back. In fact, it's a lot of work if you want to see the island. You either have to opt for seclusion if you stay in the South. The north is more user friendly but in terms of beaches, kind of disappointing. I am glad I went to St. Lucia for the experience, but I wouldn't rush back. WHy don't you consider St. Kitts and Nevis for what you are looking for. I loved St. John and I thought I would never find an island I would like as much but I was pleasantly surprised by St. Kitts and Nevis.

Nov 30th, 2002, 05:44 AM
joan

I've been to both islands, and we liked St. Lucia enough to go back for a second vacation. First time we stayed at Anse Chastanet, second time we rented a beautiful villa located above Ladera Resort. We loved that -- we shopped daily in Soufriere (everyone warns you about it but with a little common sense - and a friendly attitude - we had no problems). There's more "caribbean culture" in St. Lucia than St. John. It's a tradeoff I guess because you don't have the gorgeous blue water. Paul is right about the population. We traveled to Castries and parked our rental car in the middle of town to go watch "carnival". When we were ready to leave, our car was gridlocked. Some friendly St. Lucians (including the Queen of Carnival!) happened down the street, and guided us out of the maze. Robyn is right about it being "work" to see the island. But we loved exploring all day and coming back to jump in our villa pool in the late afternoon, so that worked fine for us. Good luck in your decision!

Nov 30th, 2002, 12:48 PM
GM

We love both - for various and different reasons.

The beaches at northern St. Lucia don't compare to the southern part, but we like the resort up there (LeSport). Jalousie Hilton has the southern beach that is prettier, less rough. In between by Castries, forget it.

St. John's beaches are just gorgeous and yet don't have the same terrain as St. Lucia. The sand is white gold vs. a corn gold in St. Lucia and some of the beach sand is darker, referred to as black.

It's more rain forest in St. Lucia; St. John is tropical; Trunk Bay reminded us of the opening scene to Gilligan's Island (realize that was a Pacific locale, but similar).

Both have areas of unspoiled natural beauty.

I'd say St. Martin Dutch side has poorer beaches than St. Lucia any day.

We're going back for the 3rd time to St. Lucia next year.

Hope this helps.