luxury vacation with young kids?

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 09:47 AM
Lynn

luxury vacation with young kids?

We're looking to do a caribbean vacation with our toddler and pre-schooler in March (traveling without them is not an option for us). The spots that we've considered are family oriented - Almond Beach Village, Barbados - Beaches, Negril - Beaches, T&C. However, I keep reading horrible reviews. Any suggestions for something better? Here's what we're looking for:
upscale (luxury) resort (our last trip was to Caneel Bay, St. John and we loved it),
all-inclusive plan,
play areas for young children (pool, playground),
competant child care ctr suitable for 1-4 yo (simply for a couple hours here or there to allow an adult dinner/lunch, not for leaving them entire day - we're not comfortable leaving them one-on-one in hotel room with a stranger).
Am I dreaming?

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 10:19 AM
O.T.

Have you looked into Malliouhana Hotel on Anguilla? They have a great Kids Club, fantastic pirateship adventure playground with waterslide.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 12:32 PM
Lynn

Thanks, I am checking into the options at Malliouhana - The resort looks gorgeous on-line!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 01:32 PM
O.T.

It is one of the best resorts on Anguilla and in the Caribbean, some people did not like it when the Kid's adventure playground was built, it was done because so many of their repeat customers (rumoured to be 80%) was bringing their young children.
There is also a new spa opening this month for mum and dad to relax in! I just can't wait to try it out, it is open to non-residents too.

and btw, Anguilla is very child friendly, we have brought ours along since they were babies (now 16 and 11), lots of casual restaurants that will accommodate you, and I am sure that the baby sitters Malliouhana employs are all ok (but I do understand you concerns 150%).

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:14 PM
Lynn

Thanks - Mal. does sound great!

Still hoping to get more ideas for something that is all-inclusive (with small kids, we'd really like to settle-in and stay put at the resort for the week) and that has child care other than individual babysitters for hire - yet still fantastic!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 07:46 PM
fish

Oh puhlleease....80% of people going to Malliouhana bring young children with them?
You should be a political ad campaign designer.
In all my years of travel I've never been to a luxury resort filled with kids except during holiday periods.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 10:19 PM
O.T.

80% of the Malliouhana guests are supposed to be repeat customers, and MANY of these guests started to bring their young families with them. That was the reason why Malliouhana built the Kids Area. If you have pre-school kids you are able to go outside the school holidays times (when airfares and hotels are cheaper) and many take advantage of that.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:05 AM
lynn

fish,
thanks for your helpful suggestions - did you even read the post?

outside the holidays is EXACTLY when families with pre-school children vacation - it's soon enough that we have to follow the school schedules

I appreciate all of you responding with suggestions/comments relating to my questions!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:31 PM
Lori

We went to Beaches T @ C about 4 years ago with a one year old. The food was not great but the rooms were nice (you really need two rooms or a suite in my opinon) and the childcare was pretty decent. We are considering Negril for xmas. I will not use hotel babysitters either so anyplace that does not have a kids club is out. If you come up with any great ideas let me know as mine are now 5, 3 and 1

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:51 AM
Debbie

I am always on the lookout for the same thing. We too went to Caneel Bay with our 2 year old and loved it. I am in the midst of planning a vacation and while I haven't been to these places, they have bben recommened from friends with kids. Malliouhana, Hyatt Dorado (or Cerramar), Ritz Carlton Jamaica & Four Seasons Nevis. Although the kids program at FS sounds great, especially the kids party during the adult coctail hour, it's not at the top for me because it's not easy to get to (2 planes and a ferry). I always look for 1 nonstop flight. Hope this helps. I will post again if I get more suggestions.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:29 PM
lynn

Thanks Debbie! - I'm doing some more research too - Please do post if you have any other suggestions or get feedback on any of the above-mentioned resorts. As you state, the "getting-there" part of the vacation is also a consideration for us. Keep ideas coming!

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Debbie

Lynn-

Also looking into Glitter Bay in Barbados. Barbados is another non-stop flight for us. Please excuse all my typos in my last post. (up for 4 nights with a sick toddler) I'll let you know what else I find.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 11:54 AM
xxxx

If you loved Caneel Bay, have you sonsidered its sister resort, Little Dix on Virgin Gorda?

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 04:32 PM
lynn

Excellent ideas - most I am currently researching - thanks!

I'm still having a hard time with the babysitter thing (it's too bad that ours can't come with us). I feel so much more comfortable leaving my little ones for an hour or two in a set, supervised, group environment like a kids club. But, the smaller, more upscale resorts just don't have them for the 1-4 yo set. I think we're getting close to abandoning the hope of that little perk and just going to the resort that seems right for us regardless. With all of these great suggestions, we have a lot to choose from. Who needs a dinner without the kids anyway?

Please keep posting if you have ideas that haven't made it here or comments about those that have. Thanks again!

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Mary

Hi Lynn, I posted a couple of weeks ago with essentially the same question; you have reached the right conclusion: the nicer a place is, the older your child must be to be in the children's program! I am down to Half Moon Bay in Jamaica and FDR; I posted about Half Moon Bay but haven't heard from anyone.

I want to keep this thread going so if anyone has feedback on these Jamaica spots I would love to hear it or if you have other thoughts for me and Lynn.

Thanks,

Mary

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 10:16 PM
O.T.

Lynn,
I just read that Sandy Lane in Barbados have a Kid's Club, - The Treetop Club.

Could also be worth looking into.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:41 PM
mom

Hi Lynn-
For the past several months I have been searching for the same type of resort as you. We have a 1 year old, 3 yrs and my 2 stepkids are 10 and 12. I never leave the kids with a hotel babysitter but would gladly use a Kids Club with lots of people around. Before the 2 little ones came along my husband and I traveled frequently to very nice resorts. Now, however, as you're discovering, finding nice places with Kids Clubs that accept children younger than 4 yrs old is a challenge. For upcoming trips, I have narrowed our list down to Beaches T and C, Mal (as mentioned in a post above) and a couple of places in the Riviera Maya (Crowne Paradise Club in Cancun- not a fancy place but very kid friendly... they accept children as young as 18 mo in their Kids Club and the Gala about 30 min. south of Cancun). We're also planning on visiting Club Med in Punta Cana (Kids Club starts at age 2). Have heard only wonderful things about this place. We've also decided that any trips such as these should be postponed until our youngest is age 2. That way he'll be able to tolerate longer flights more easily (we live in Phoenix) and will be better able to separate from us at Kids Clubs. As a stay-at-home Mom, my youngest does not do very well staying with people he doesn't know. Good luck.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 07:47 AM
billy

Does the Malliouhana still accept no cridit cards?

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Chargeit

Do Visa, Master and American Express count as "cridit" cards? If yes, then they do.

Checks are accepted on prior approval only.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 08:18 AM
billy

Thanks for the info on the Malliouana accepting credit cards,but I had to ask because everything that I read said they did not.Also any ideas on other great all-inclusives with great beaches,SUN,food,and, NIGHTLIFE that is at the resort and does not end too early. Iwould love agreat beach bar with some music at the resort. PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME THANKS!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information