Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at the Franklyn D. Resort - Jamaica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 09:20 AM
p popoli

Just heard of this resort and was wondering what it is really like? <BR> <BR>My husband and I were thinking of taking a trip with our 20 month old daughter. <BR> <BR>Is Jamaica safe these days???

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 03:48 PM
Ruth

My teenage daughter and I stayed there May 1999. It is a perfect place to vacation with kids. The only drawbacks were it was not as up to date in terms of equipment and buildings as I would have liked, and my daughter left money in our room and it was stolen, probably by one of the many cleaning people who were constantly parading in and out of our room. My daughter had a great time. I recommend it.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 08:08 AM
Molly

Hi Ruth, <BR> <BR>Can you be a little more specific? My family is thinking of planning a trip to Franklyn D. Resort next Feb/March for my parents' 40th anniversary. There would be 9 adults and 4 children (1 baby). I found it by chance on the internet and thought it looked nice. We are very interested in going. When you say "one of the many cleaning people who were constantly parading in and out of our room," what exactly do you mean. I thought there was one "vacation nanny" per room and that she cooked, cleaned, etc.? Do you not trust the people who work there? Also, you say "it was not as up to date in terms of equipment and buildings." What exactly to you mean by that? Any help would be appreciated. If you would like, you can e-mail me. Thank you very much. <BR>

Old May 6th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Ruth

As for the cleaning people/vacation nanny, it was our mistake to <BR>leave any cash in the room, which was why we got ripped off. They do have safe deposit boxes at the front <BR>desk. The vacation nanny does the sorts of things a nanny does, but there <BR>are separate housekeeping staff and they were in and out of the room <BR>frequently -- too frequently for my taste, as I felt the room didn't need <BR>more than one cleaning/kitchen re-stocking in the morning. I felt perhaps <BR>they were casing the room. As for the nanny,I don't have personal experience because my daughter was 15 when we went, so she didn't need a nanny. The resort did reimburse us for the amount that was stolen from us, by the way. <BR> <BR>As for things being out of date, some of the equipment was in disrepair, <BR>such as the pool table and other games. However, the main activities -- <BR>pool, water activities, and so forth, were perfectly fine. I recall there <BR>were tiny little bugs on the wooden coffee table in the living room of our <BR>suite, but that's the tropics, and I don't think it was due to <BR>uncleanliness. <BR> <BR>The main thing about FDR is that it is a wonderful place to vacation with <BR>family because that's what they cater to. The staff are friendly and <BR>enthusiastic, and I think my daughter brought back fond memories of the <BR>trip.

Old May 6th, 2000, 05:53 PM
Patti

My family and I are going to the FDR Pebbles resort in June. This resort is new in the Trelawny Beach area. From the information that I have received from the internet and brochures, it looks great for kids. Mine are older (11 and 13), so I think it looks great for that age. As far as the safety issue goes, we spoke with friends today who are natives of Jamaica. They said that the crime is primarily in Kingston. Their advice was common sense for any trip: don't flash money around, don't give money to the beggars, don't go off blindly by yourself adventuring if you haven't been to Jamaica before, and realize that "ganga" is very common. My family and I have discussed the fact that we are going to a Third World nation, whose economic situation is one of the poorest in the world (after Haiti I believe). Our friends from Jamaica did say that it is a beautiful island, with very lovely people, but keep these things in mind. Good luck and I'll let you know later in June!

Old May 15th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Ruth

Patti, I'll look forward to hearing how the "new" FDR is. We stayed at the "old" FDR in Runaway Bay. Have a great time!

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttt
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM

travelwkidz

Why top a thread that is over 8 years old? - you should try 'bookmarking' instead.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Hoping to peak interest again, rather than doing a new question. I find when people do a post a new question, to me it often implies that they have not done any previous research. Just my humble opion.