Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to Little Dix Bay recently?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How were the rooms and which would you recommend for a honeymoon. We would prefer to be as close to the beach as we can. I have heard on some threads that some of the rooms close to the beach are noisy. I was looking at the one bedroom suites or the oceanfront cottage. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 07:02 AM

We stayed in an ocean front cottage last year. I asked for a room in a quiet location and we were put in the very last set of rooms at the end of the beach. Very quiet...kind of a walk to the restaurants though. The rooms are beautiful and right on the beach! There was just a small lawn between the room and the beach. The ocean front cottages are 4 to a building...2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. If you want more privacy and quiet, I would recommend the beach front cottages, which are the same, but only 2 to a building (1 story). If you tell LDB what you are looking for, I'm sure they will accomodate.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrice123 for your response. Did you have a nice view of the water from your ocean front cottage? We are huge beach people and sometimes don't even leave the resort. If you have been to any other islands, how did they compare to VG? Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 12:30 PM

We are not leave the resort type people either. We were only there a few days and only left to go to the Baths and on a hike when it wasn't beach weather. We were on the bottom floor and there is foliage blocking a lot of the view to the ocean, although not entirely. The view would likely be better on the second floor, but it was great being the first floor because coming and going between the room and the beach was so close and easy.

I know I'm in the minority here, but we didn't really like LDB. I thought we were going to LOVE it, but just didn't. The rooms are gorgeous, but we had just left Caneel Bay on St. John and we did LOVE that. As soon as we got to LDB, we just wanted to go back to Caneel. If you are a beach person, look into Caneel. Or try both islands...they are owned by the same place and have a boat that goes between the two on certain days so the transfer was easy. You don't have to do their package that includes food and all to do the transfer. Caneel has 7 beautiful beaches and off beach snorkeling. LDB has 1 beach that didn't really compare and the water was very very shallow and the snorkeling was not very good. However Caneel's drawback is the rooms. They are fine and have nice linens, but they are very basic (look at pics on Trip Advisor). We didn't care though, the atmosphere at Caneel made up for it.

We have also been to Cozumel and Aruba. Cozumel was a long time ago and unless you are a scuba diver, I wouldn't recommend it for very long. Aruba was ok, but the main beaches are pretty narrow and crowded. Check out Bucuti though...very nice quiet wide beach with lots of honeymooners and I don't think they allow children. It's easy to get cabs to all the restaurants on Aruba which was nice and Bucuti only has 1 restaurant.

Overall Caneel/St. John is our favorite place in the world...I dream all the time of going back...even if the rooms aren't that great. LDB might be for you though if you just want to sit on the beach and have nice accomodations...sitting on the beach too long drives my husband crazy so Caneel was better for us because of the variety of beaches and snorkeling. There is a lot written on this board and Trip Advisor comparing the two.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 06:55 AM

patrice123, I am like you. I keep looking at other places but they are not like caneel. We are trying to do a second trip this year and have looked at other places but I am afraid we will just wish we were at caneel.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:02 AM

We LOVE Caneel Bay - been several times and have found it hard to beat. The only place that we have found that is comparable for us is Petit St. Vincent. It is a long, tiring trip down there, but once you are there, it is absolutely worth it. It is a fabulous alternative to Caneel Bay if you are wanting to try something different.