Guess what my husband suggested???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He came home the other night and was telling me about his co-worker's wonderful trip to Antarctica. Then he said I should look into booking a vacation for us there.

WHAT??!!

I'm sure it was amazing..the wildlife, the scenery and I'd love to see a penguin, but any trip which requires me to wear a parka and stand in the frigid cold is not a VACATION.

My nose starts running when the temps dip below 60 degrees. I am not a cold weather person.

A vacation to me needs 3 things to be a real vacation - turquoise water, white sand and warm sunny skies.

I may give in to his desire to go on an Alaskan cruise but no way to Antarctica!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I am with you 100%. There is no way I would pay to go to a frigid place. Our family does not understand why we keep returning to the caribbean...they are always asking why don't you go to europe instead? As you state in your post, a beautiful calm beach, turquoise water and some privacy/quiet is what we love. Maybe one day we will be ready to explore the rest of the world but not right now. Antartica would never make the list though!!!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Kristen1206: I'm on your side! 8-)
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:40 AM

If you need more support for your position, you can certainly add me to the roll of travelers opposed to cold-weather travel!

How can any activity which requires outerwear be any good?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Why would anyone every volunatarily pay money to be cold and uncomfortable? I never understood spending so much money to go skiing, either. I agree with you!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:16 AM
KVR

I agree with you also. DH wants to go to Alaska, and for 4 years in a row I have attempted to indulge him and then backed out and switched over to a Caribbean vacation. I can not stand the cold either. It is 95+ days here in Texas and I'm still sleeping with the electric blanket on my side of the bed.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Actually, I've always wanted to go to Antarctica - supposed to be stunning and you can combine it with Chile. If your husband insists, consider pairing it with a trip to Chile and Argentina for a nice mix of nature/cold travel and south american spots.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

I don't do the snow-skiing thing either..but water-skiing I love.

I could never plop down the same chunk of change I would spend on a caribbean vacation to cold snow-skiing.

I am sure Antarctica is beautiful but I don't think it's for me. I will watch March of the Penguins instead!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Is there even an Antarctica Board on this forum?
Funny enough I'm with the DH Just this week I was wondering how to get from Jamaica to Antarctica...and what on earth to do once I got there!
Tell DH that he will find other supporters for his "vacation" idea on the "Cruise" boards
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Too funny. You can add me to your side.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:17 AM

I am right with you Kristen! Even as a male, I need the sun, sand and water....and heat. Just think of the great coats you could buy, though! And the Sorels....fun stuff!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:24 AM

I actually saw Antartica once.
In New Zealand, on Milford Sound (fjords there) on a boat cruise, they actually take you to the edge of Antartic. It was really cool, but the hour there was all I needed! It was a kinda cool because there was snow on the peaks of mountains, but 80 degrees in Queenstown! Then it got cold the next day so I was ready to go!
I need heat!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:54 AM
iw

I would tell the DH to have fun and don't forget to send a postcard! Meahwhile, you would be in a warm destination of you choice. wink, wink
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Where else but Fodors would you find info about Antarctica on the Caribbean Boards?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:40 PM

First of all, I'm with you about having to wear a sweater or jacket on vacation..Yet, one, I think it's really sweet of your husband to make this suggestion.. and two.. a friend just came back in January and said it was the most wonderful vacation..and she's a big time cruiser.. From my friends pictures it was a great time to see the wild life... Not only now do I not want to cruise to Alaska no matter what people tell me (we live in N.E.) butI don't want to do the Caribbean...I want to cruise where the average US cruiser hasn't gone...and we just did a cruise to ?Europe but i still want to go to the Amazon...and yes..okay..Antartica sounds intesting..lol... next cruise..... go where you want....
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I'm with you all about the warm weather vacations....except we love to snowmobile so do take winter vacations also. Just do both!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Check out this link for Antarctic weather and note the temp read out at the top from various weather weather stations there. Then show him.
http://www.antarcticconnection.com/a...er/index.shtml
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:55 PM

I agree... no dice on the cold weather vacation. Luckily hubby shares the same view as me...

"No beach, no sun.....NO VACATION!!"
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:21 PM

I understand that this is the Caribbean board, but I've got to cast one vote for Alaska--no comparison to Antartica! If you go in the summer, which is when most tourists visit, it's gorgeous, warm, and you get nearly 20 hours of sun a day!! The gardens are gorgeous from all those hours of sunshine, and it's not humid. It may not be a "relax on the beach" kind of place, but it's well worth the trip.
JS
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

jacketwatch...the scary thing is...those temps would entice him!! He climb Mt. Washinton every Feb and temps on that mountain are comparable.

No way in heck would I even survive 5 minutes in conditions like that much less enjoy it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -