grenadines day trip report

Dec 6th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

grenadines day trip report

Well I am back from vacation, can't believe how quickly it went. Want to give another thanks to sunnyboy and curiousx for all of their helpful advice and knowledge.

The first day we booked to go, the Grenadines trip was cancelled at the VERY last minute due to weather, I was worried that I would not get there after all of my anticipation since it was towards the end of my vacation. But alas, the next day we got to go. The flight was nice except one bit of weather that we quickly flew above. YIKES! It was a long minute or two. The day was wonderful and we were in awe of the beauty, especially seeing the reefs from the plane. Curiousx, you were correct and it was captain yannis catamarans. They were great, very friendly, nice lunch on board anchored in the most turquoise of waters. We went to Mayreau and was mildly disappointed to anchor in I believe Saline Bay?? I had wanted to see Saltwhistle Bay. I saw a road to the village and asked the locals about it. It sounded like the road went up a steep hill and then down again the other side to Saltwhistle Bay. We were then off to the Tobago Cays and Palm island. Palm Island seemed very sleepy but beautiful. My husband and I were both very impressed with the beauty of the islands, and calm, beautiful beaches. Sunnyboy was right, one taste might not be enough.

New question to pose. We are not looking for "nightlife" so do not take this in the wrong text. Are there islands to stay at that have some local pubs, restaurants to go to for something to do other than stay at ones hotel grounds all of the time? Since the tour only took us to secluded places, it is still hard to get a feel of what it is like there.

As for the snorkeling,I barely tried it. Captain Yannis did not supply fins and I am too much of a beginner to go where we were warned of currents and sea urchins in Mayreau. Tried a little in Tobago Cays, but not much time. We anchored on the other side of a main area, not sure which Cay, and had to walk a path to the other side. All in all, a wonderful experience. Thanks again!
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:59 PM
DerekD

It doesn't sound as if the day trip measured up to expectations. No fins?? What kind of outfit takes you out and doesn't provide fins? It also sounds like you didn't think much of Saline Bay. Thanks for an honest report.

Dec 7th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

The day trip DID live up to my expectations in terms of sailing the islands and getting to see the beauty of the area. Captain Yannis was a group charter and I did not expect to go exactly where I wanted. In regard to Saline Bay, other than the beach and a couple of vendors, there was nothing! there. And yes, I was surprised that they didn't supply fins. All in all, it was still a great experience for us, having never been there before.
Dec 7th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Sunnyboy

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your day trip even though you didn't get to see all you wanted. You only scratched the surface so it wouldn't surprise me if you are already planning your next trip. Next time you might want to consider spending a few nights on Bequia where you will find a number of smaller hotels, a couple of restaurants, several beach bars with modest night life, a few interesting "tourist" shops and two fascinating model boat stores.

Dec 18th, 2004, 11:59 AM

Brenandg - thanks for the trip report.

Like Derek D, I am shocked Yannis did not supply fins...otoh, my general advice for the region is to take your own gear (Caribe fins are light and easy to pack).

So sorry also you did not go to Saltwhistle Bay. That said, I think Saline is a very nice beach with clear calm water and a friendly local beach bar.

There is also a loo and changing area but I think this might only operate when there is a cruise ship in.

Certainly the whole beach was in full swing when I was there last week with vendors, pan band, beach chairs and so on.

In the water, I saw squid, spotted moray and the usual doctor, tang etc., on the south end. The north end is apparently better but I had heard reports of currents and so stayed away. There were NO currents at the south end. There were a few spiny urchins but not in areas where the casual swimmer or snorkeller would be at risk.

For future reference, the walk from Saline to Saltwhistle is about 30-40 minutes each way at a slow amble and with time out for sightseeing at the church, a beer on the beach and a quick swim at Saltwhistle. It is steep but not killer.

Finally, I agree with Sunnyboy that Bequia would be a good fit for your tastes...also possibly Carriacou although it is a bit rougher around the edges.

Glad you had a great time and look forward to hearing your plans for the next visit !

Dec 18th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi curiousx,

I was actually wondering where you were, thought you might be in the islands... Maybe I wasn't in Saline Bay??? That is what they said but nothing was there. There were some bathrooms that weren't operational and a few men working on the dock, 2 vendors, someone raking the sand, and some island dogs. That said, the beach was beautiful and we still enjoyed it very much. My friends and family that have seen my pictures marvel at the waters. When you talk about the beach in full swing and snorkeling, are you talking about Saltwhistle Bay? Sounds like you saw some cool stuff. As for the walk to Saltwhistle Bay, we would not have had time since we were only there one hour. Does the road that I describe to the village sound familiar from Saline over the hill to Saltwhistle? Glad to hear from you, hope you had a nice vacation!
Dec 19th, 2004, 06:55 AM

Brenandg, by your description, you were definitely in Saline Bay, not Saltwhistle. The road you described is the one you take to the Saltwhistle Bay side (hint...it's also the only road on Mayreau!).

I was in Saline Bay last week when there when a small cruiseship in (Seabourn Pride - some 200 pax). That's probably why the beach was more lively than what you experienced.

My visit south, sadly, had to be very short and I have returned to weather that is minus 30 celsius..but I'll be south again in a few weeks, this time for much longer. Can't wait.
Dec 19th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Visited The Usual Suspects web site and now have a little better idea of how small Mayreau is. In retrospect, we might have been able to make it up the hill to the village and back within one hour, just not descend to Saltwhistle Bay. The road itself had to be a 5 minute walk from where we were anchored. We did walk the beach to the dock and the road was just past that. Wish I could have checked out Robert "Rightous" place. Maybe next time. That is why we think going somewhere more than once is a plus. Learn a little each time.