Grand Lido Negril - Which Room?

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Bruce & Betty

Grand Lido Negril - Which Room?

We are leaving in a few days, Saturday, February 3rd, and would appreciate advice on which room to request at GLN. It doesn't matter if it is on the c/o or textile beach, but we would like to be close to the beach and have quiet at night.

Any other tips for first timers at GLN would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 06:17 AM
Dave

Both sides are fairly close to the beach, although textile is closer. But we stayed there for one night, noise from road at rear of rooms was bad, we moved to c/o side, was much quieter. The rooms on c/o side which are furthest away are on rise. We had a room on the bottom floor in the mid c/o part, not directly on the beach, was very nice, would stay there again. Best to look at what's available. There was not much noise from people or bar at night.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 11:44 AM
Jackie

Last January my husband & I were given room 2075 and we loved the room & the location. It's on the C.O. side pretty far away from the hottub/bar area so it was very quiet at night. Since we were on the 2nd floor we kept our louvred windows and patio doors open all day and never had to use the air conditioning all week. The rooms on the C.O. side are about twice as close to the water as on the textile side so you could hear the waves rolling in right from bed! The good thing about the C.O. 'beach' is that there is a small sand beach and the rest is all grass so you don't have to get all that sand stuck to you. GL Negril is a wonderful resort with great food & friendly service (both of which we thought were better than at GL Sans Souci which we just returned from). Be sure to spoil yourself and use the 24 hour room service (it always arrived in about 10 minutes)!! Feel free to e-mail me if you have more questions...

Jackie

ps Here's a few sites that have some great GL pictures & info:

http://members.aol.com/scharpfy/priv.../homepage.html

http://www.grand-lido.net/

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thegran...isitorshangout

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 12:22 PM
dee

My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon in mid-March, to GL, Negril. What do you think? What is the restaurant situation? I heard that there is a new place, and I also heard that there is one that requires a coat and tie. True? What excursions are worth taking and how much do they run? Never been to an AI and are wondering how much $$ to take. I would greatly appreciate any info. Thanks!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 01:43 PM
dee

We are going to GLN for our honeymoon in mid-March. How is the food? I've heard that there is a new restaurant and also one which requires a coat and tie. Also, which excursions are worthwhile and how much do they run? How much $ should we bring? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 01:49 PM
Martha

http://www.geocities.com/mhight_74/Jamaica_Maps/GLN.jpg

Here is a link to a GLN map. You can check out the best location for you once you get there. You may not get much of a choice, however. Two different staffers from the Grand Lido resorts have told me in the past 3 days that all three Lidos (Sans Souci, Braco, Negril) are completely sold out this coming weekend!

Hope you get your room of choice!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 07:09 AM
dee

Bruce and Betty, will you let me know how your trip was when you get back? Are you taking AirJamaica/ I hear grea things about them! Have fun!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 10:29 AM
Jackie

Dee,
We really liked the food at Cafe Lido, La Pasta, the Monday night Beach Buffet (great steel drums music that night too!) and at the Stone & Timber Houses. The breakfast & lunch buffets were also very good w/ ALOT of variety. The service at Piacere was outstanding but we weren't crazy about the actual food. My husband didn't pack a jacket, but they have some for you to wear if you don't bring one. I'm a very fussy eater (I don't like alot of spices and non-American food) and I had no problem finding something to eat at any of the restaurants.

We didn't actually do any off-resort excursions so I don't know about any of those. We did go snorkelling right off the C.O. beach a few times and saw lots of fish, small rays, sea snakes, sea cucumbers, star fish, coral, anemones....We also did the Sunset Cruise on the M/Y Zein and that was lots of fun. They had drinks (beer and pop)& appetizers and the sunset was beautiful (we also saw tons of flying fish alongside the boat).

The only extra money we spent all week was a body scrub & 1 hour massage that my husband got, and a few things at the gift shop.

Have a great trip!!
Jackie

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 11:08 AM
Sam

Hi Dee, Only the French restaurant, Piacere, requires jacket, long pants and shoes. Tie is optional. Reservation is required. Other restuarants are casual. Most people dress elegantly for supper as this is an upscale resort. You don't really need to bring a lot of money, just some tips for the airporter and the bus driver. Tipping is not allowed in the resort. If you want to have massage, facial and other purchase or tours, that will be extra. Credit card is accepted in the resort.

GLN is at the northern tip of 7-mile beach. As a matter of fact, it is not even on Negril beach, it is on Bloody Bay. There are some view points along the 7-miles beach. The town of Negril is at the southern end of the beach. The resort has a tour of the town. I think is costs $12-$15 per person. In my opinion, if you can find another couple, hire your own cab, you could get better result for less money.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 10:38 AM
dee

Thanks for all of the info. I can't wait to go!!!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 01:59 PM
mel

I am going to GLN in April and want to hear more about it. Also, how is AirJamaica? I've heard good and bad. How long of a ride is it from MB to GLN? Any other tips would be great!

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 06:52 AM
dan

I