Reload this Page >

Grand Lido Jamaica, a Grand Rip-Off

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 1998, 10:00 AM
M. Strianese

Extermely disappointed after a recent trip to this all inclusive resort. Beach furniture broken and dirty, towels unavailable, construction from 7am to 7pm. Most disturbing was lack of availability of the highly touted 4 star restaurant. Only after the resort responded to my complaint letter did they admit that guests are allowed at least 1 reservation per 4 day visit. (the brochure says "as many times as you like") A good value if you like hotdogs and hamburgers on a 900/day trip for 2!

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 12:35 AM
joelle

I do agree one hundred percent! We went there two years ago and things do not seem to have improved!

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 07:14 PM
Michelle

I also agree - we got married there and experienced lots of disappointment! That is one resort where you can't believe the brochures!

Old Feb 9th, 1998, 07:23 AM
Lara

I've heard bad stories before about Grand Lido being a rip-off, but what about Sans Souci? I have not heard one horror story about that place (if you've got 'em, let's hear it!). Is the problem with the SuperClubs chain or just Grand Lido management?

Old Feb 11th, 1998, 06:52 AM
Pat

Sorry folks but I have to disagree. I was
at Gl last Sep and experienced none of the
problems mentioned here. The constrcution
mentioned is the new Beaches Negril being
constructed past GL property on the main beach.
we jogged over one day and in no way was
saw that was a problem. Other construction
was the finishing of the new bar and grill
on the nude side and the construction of the
massage and Spa buildings across from the
Fitness center - again was not in my way
of doing anything.

We ate at the French Rest (Once) and knew before
we arrived that each guest is allowed only one
confirned reservation there - it IS small and
has a limited seating BUT you are allowed
to be on the list on a standby basis for any
other night of your stay. I found Cafe Lido's
food to be excellent. We live in a large east
coast city that has many fine restaurants
and I rate the Cafe Lido food right up there
with some of the better restaurants here.
Can't please all the people all the time!
We had a great stay and are returning to Negril
next month

Old Feb 18th, 1998, 03:28 AM
J. Perez

Thank you for the tip.

Old Feb 20th, 1998, 10:42 AM
Janette

Re: Grand Lido Resorts. I stayed at Sans Souci Lido in Ochio Rios last year and it was amazing. I have stayed at other 5 star resorts in Jamaica and the service at this resort was extraordinary. Our particular likes were:
- 24 hour room service
- beautiful grottos surrounding the property
- reservations at restaurants were definately NOT restricted to one. We went out every night to the reservation only restaurants on the resort.
- beach towel service was not restricted to one a day. If you felt like a new towel, there were these towel chests along the beach and you just took a new one and put your used towel in the dirty laundry side.
- diving was amazing, the best instruction and supervision yet.
- mineral pools were crystal clean
- afternoon tea was served with a silver service.

Overall I loved my stay there and would definately go back, but yes, it is verrry expensive. We stayed in an ocean view one bedroom suite that was bigger than your average apartment, and the balcony was huge. My husband and I loved it.

Old Feb 20th, 1998, 10:51 AM
Doug

This same message has been reduplicated by Fodor's several times now. Why waste space when valuable information can be stored? I think everybody is getting really tired of the same two posts about Jamaica being a god aweful place. Especially since so many have found great enjoyment going there. Maybe the people who run this message board are as ignorant and narrow minded as the people posting these post. Sure, sometimes a vacation does not go right but labeling a whole country over a few instances is foolish.