Search

Grand Cayman small resorts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman small resorts

Hi Fodor friends,
Decided on Grand Cayman for our 4 night stay. Need recommendations for a small (30-60 unit) resort with small kitchen, beachfront with oceanview in the $350/night range with a 4-5 star rating. On site casual dining would be nice.
Thanks i_b..
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 11:42 AM

It sounds like The Reef Resort would be right up your alley. All units are beach front on the east end of the island with kitchen facilities and a restaurant on site. Supposed to be really good snorkeling from shore there, too.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi ejcrowe, was hoping for your input.
A quick check on the Reef, 45 minute away from anything and the timeshare push is a little off putting for me.
What are your thoughts on Discovery Pt, Turtle Nest and Cobalt Coast?
Or any condos that are clean, beach front, with good reputations? Like on the north end of 7 mile?
Thanks i_b.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:32 PM

The drawbacks that I can see with Turtle Nest Inn is that it is out of the way - about a 45 minute drive into Georgetown AND it is right on the road. The property itself looks quite nice but there is the road and its noise and properties close on both sides. Just my opinion. Check out caymanvacations.com for info on condos, locations and cost.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Turtle Nest Inn is nice, but Bodden Town sustained a lot of damage in the hurricane, so the surroundings might not be so nice. It's still fairly far out of the way. Cobalt Coast is a dive resort, and it's on a "beach" but not a nice one like Seven Mile Beach. If it meets your price needs, Discovery Point Club might be the best choice, but I'd take a serious look at the Sunshine Suites. It's not on the beach, but it's pretty close. I like this property a lot, and I think a small breakfast is even included. (It might not be as fancy as what you are looking for, though.)
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Ok.. here goes (and you all know I run The Reef).

The Reef - 35 minutes from the airport, 5 or 6 oceanfront restaurants in easy reach, onsite activities for adults and kids, watersports, land based tours... really, nobody ever complains about being bored As for "timeshare push".. yes, we do sell timeshares (and fractionals, and whole condos), but "push"... never, I would not stand for it... just check the reviews and if you find anyone who has had anybody push them into anything at all, I'll fire them on the spot... I feel that strongly about it.

Moving right along

Turtle Nest Inn is no more than 20 minutes from the airport. It is a small place, right on Bodden Town high street. Only a few units, so little in the way of onsite amenites, but fans of TNI swear by it, and the room rates cannot be beaten. I would agree with Doug though, Bodden Town high street itself is pretty beaten up by Ivan, although TNI itself is in great shape.

Cobalt Coast : Not on the beach, in a quiet area of West Bay, as little as 20 minutes (or as much as 45 minutes) from the airport, depending on West Bay Road traffic. The owner, Arie, runs it very well and is incredibly hospitable.

Sunshine Suites is a good choice for a budget stay on 7MB with rooms that are better than budget, a funky/cool bar and grill, and is right across the road from the beach.

Going back to the 4/5 star rating at $350 per night though, The Reef really is the only choice out there for all you have asked for

If TNI or The Reef are too out of the way for you, then indeed, check out condos on 7MB... if it was me, I prefer the North End, as it is peaceful (and Discovery Point is a good choice). Remember though that condo resorts normally have great locations and units, but no onsite amenities or restaurants, but if on or near 7MB, that is not a problem for you.

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:10 PM
anonxx

FYI. Have stayed at the Reef Resort several times and never had a "time share push". I can't say that about Morritts however, which is right next door. There is no comparison between Morritts and the Reef Resort. There is a nice restaurant, bar, tennis courts, etc. at the Reef Resort, and good evening entertainment at Morritts. We have never been bored and prefer it to 7MB. By the way, the "Fire Eater" and comedian at the Mariott & Stingers Bar on 7MB is the same act/person that is at the Morritts, next door to the Reef Resort.

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 09:00 PM

Tom - you said the Reef is 35 minutes from the airport. For someone unfamiliar with GC, they need to know that the airport is about another 10-15 minutes from 7 Mile. Just to clarify.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TomCayman for clearing that up with the Reef Resort.
Maybe you can have some updated positive reviews posted on the Fodor hotel review. I always take those reviews with a grain of salt then bounce ideas off the talk forum.
Can't wait to visit GC and support your island's comeback from the hurricane. If we don't stay at the Reef, I'm sure we will be out for a visit.
Thanks, i_b.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:45 AM

island_breeze, thanks for the positive thoughts towards our islands

Re reviews, I don't find that the Fodors review get much traffic.

We have a link to WhereToStay reviews embedded in our website, also a link to TripAdvisor reviews.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:57 AM

For what it's worth, I agree with everything that TomCayman has said. And I've actually stayed at the Reef, though several years ago, so I can definitely say that it's a nice little resort. If you have a car, it's not a huge hardship to stay there, but you are fairly far removed from the majority of restaurants. I think the Lighthouse restaurant has reopened now, and it's not so far from The Reef. I can certainly recommend that.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 07:14 AM

island breeze, Try the Cayman Activity Guide forums. They have reviews of many places in GC
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Thx Doug, are you looking for a discount on your next stay ? (just kidding !)

Re Lighthouse, yes, they re-opened on October 22nd, and we are very happy for Captain G. (the owner).

This article is from the Cayman Compass yesterday :

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CF...cgi?ID=1008817