Reload this Page >

Grand Cayman or Bermuda

Search

Grand Cayman or Bermuda

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 10:28 AM
Ana

Grand Cayman or Bermuda

My boyfriend and I are taking 5 days off in October and can't decide between the 2 places. We would appreciate any suggestions as to a reasonable place to stay. <BR>We want to do some diving and snokeling. We are not interested in night life or great restaurants, we are really interested in atural beauty, safe dive operator and a hotel with reasonable rates. Thank you for any tips.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 09:16 AM
CJ

Ana, haven't been to Bermuda (yet) but here is some Cayman info.: <BR>Stayed at the Turtle Nest Inn (that we found on this forum). Beautiful & ocean front..not on 7 Mile Beach but we loved it. No problem w/ a car. Best rates we found plus very clean (not even any sand in the breezeway off the beach!) & the owners are very kind. They got us a good rate on a rental car (Budget--who even called our credit card company to check on rental coverage). We don't dive. The snorkeling is great. Best food buys for your $$: <BR>-Fosters Grocery Store @ airport <BR>-Lone Star (very different from the East coast chain--which I don't like) <BR>Great food/approx. $10-12 pp <BR>-Chicken Chicken (very good, portions so large they could serve two) <BR>-Eats near the Westin <BR>-The Edge near the TNInn. Outside appearance is deceiving, right on the ocean, very good food (this was approx. $70us for 2, appetizer, no beer/wine) <BR>One note, some restaurants charge for refills; we unknowingly racked up $14us on two small colas & two refills...and it was that awful mixed drink/bar cola at that. Some posters say the blow holes are a waste of time; we loved them. Very pretty view. Make sure you go on a Thurs., Fri. or Sat. and get a chilled coconut from the stand. Good luck with your trip. <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 10:04 AM
Elle

Ana, <BR>We've been to both. <BR> <BR>If underwater is your main priority, definitely GC. The water & the beach are gorgeous on GC, but that's about it for natural scenery. <BR> <BR>If dramatic beauty is your priority, Bermuda! Rolling, winding, fabulous landscape. Snorkeling is okay, not great. (Don't know about diving in either place.) <BR> <BR>Food is expensive on both, but if you will get a place w/ a kitchen (& eat where the locals eat) you can save a lot. On GC you can rent a car. On Bermuda you rent mopeds or take the bus (or taxi) if that makes a difference to you. <BR> <BR>Next trip to Cayman, we plan to stay central or east rather than SMB --- we thought that area was overpriced & liked the other areas better. If the Turtle Nest mentioned above isn't available, try to find something at Rum Point. I can't recall the names, but we saw a few low key places on that end. <BR> <BR>On Bermuda, Marley Beach or the complex next to Mermaid (Longtail????) would be a good choice for budget accomodations. Neither are as nice as the Turtle Nest looks, but they are dramatically situated. There are lots of B&Bs & small properties but it will be hard to find one on the shore. <BR> <BR>I prefer Bermuda's rugged civility to Cayman's scrubby easiness, but you can't really go wrong either way, as long as you understand neither fits your bill completely & are prepared for that. <BR> <BR>Have fun. <BR>Elle

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 10:12 AM
Ana

Thank you Ellen and CJ for your input and great tips. I was told of a place to stay in GC called Harbor View Apartments, have either of you ever heard of this place? It is very reasonable - $75-$100. <BR>Will let you guys know what I decide and how my trip turns out. <BR>Thanks

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 01:58 PM
Elle

<BR>Ana, <BR>Have you tried the Cayman bulletin board at TravelTalk http://216.64.24.28/cgi-bin/talkthre.../cayman/travel yet? It's a very active board. <BR> <BR>(Pack lightweight clothes. Cayman is usually very hot). <BR> <BR>Best wishes for a great trip. <BR>Elle <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 09:00 AM
ann

Hi Ana- <BR>I've been to Bermuda but not GC, but here are a couple of more things to consider while you make your decision: travel time-since you're only going for 5 days you should compare how long you'll be en route from where you live, availability of direct flights etc. I hate spending almost the whole first day getting where I'm going on less than one week trips. Also the last poster mentioned the heat in GC..since Bermuda is in the Atlantic several hundred miles off the S Carolina coast, it is bound to be a lot cooler there in Oct than it is in GC. Have fun whatever you decide!

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 09:44 AM
Elle

<BR>re: blowholes (see CJ's post). They are only worth a stop when the tide is in. That's why so many are disappointed, they don't realize to check the tide times. They may not be Hawaii class, but they're fun & good place to take people photos. <BR> <BR>Elle