Search

Grand Cayman Decisions - West Bay or Seven Mile Beach

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman Decisions - West Bay or Seven Mile Beach

Hi there,

We're almost set to go to GCM in April from NYC. We pieced together an airfare deal with FFM and now we're trying to decide whether to stay near Seven Mile Beach or West Bay?

We're mainly interested in:

snorkelling
stingray city
excellent food - reasonable prices though

exploring the island

Also, is it absolutely necessary to rent a car? We would hate to have a situation like St. Thomas where the taxis are insanely expensive. I'm more than comfortable with the opposite side driving but we're also extremely comfortable walking. Is it a hassle to find parking around Grand Cayman? Is it expensive?

Any responses or help would be great!

Thanks, fodorites!

DKG50
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We went to GC June 2007 and stayed at the Marriott on 7mile beach. We taxied to many restaurants and walked home from some down the beach. I am not familiar with West Bay.
I think if you stay anywhere on 7ml beach, that you can walk to many things. We did not rent a car and we did use the taxi system.
We snorkeled, scubadived, dined in nice restaurants every night and were able to walk to a grocery store for small items, and also walk to some restaurants.
As far as exploring the island, you may be better off renting a car. I think Andys is the place that was recommended to us. Andys has an online website you can check out and book prior if you want to pick up at the airport.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 03:30 AM

If you do not want to rent a car, stay in central or southern SMB. Northern SMB and even farther north West Bay would necessitate renting a vehicle. There is an inexpensive bus system and the taxis are not outrageous.
You might think about getting a car for a day or 2 so you can check out the rest of the island.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for both responses - one more question:

Are the beaches free? Or do you have to pay to enter?

Thanks again!

DKG50
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Beaches are free as far as I know. We never paid to walk on any beach or snorkel anywhere on the island.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
EJC

Check out The Westin, located on the main drag on 7 Mile Beach....Expensive; but has what you are requesting.. To me, it's the most central location on the island... Great inexpensive restaurant across the street.. (burgers, fries,chicken,fish,etc..breakfast also)

I would rent a car.. There's always a place to park. in GC. I never had to pay for parking..

There's a great place to snorkel for free, just steps away at the "Governor's House"

You can walk for miles in both directions and a few places to eat/drink on your journey...
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Stay on seven mile. When you get to Grand Cayman, take a trip up to west bay, and thank me later.

Unless you meant northern SMB, which some people consider a part of west bay, which is really quite nice and away from the main tourist crowd. Discovery Point, The Christopher Columbus, and Silver Sands are all in this area and are good places to stay.