Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Grand Bahamas and Our Lucaya questions..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked a quick getaway for the first week of January (yes, I know it won't be balmy, but it will be warmer than CT), and I have a couple of questions. We're staying at the Westin Our Lucaya.

Can anyone recommend good restaurants? I haven't read glowing reports of the onsite dining, so any suggestions?

We want to visit Lucayan National Park, does anyone know if the buses go that far? I think a taxi there would be very espensive, and would prefer the bus. If so, where do we catch it? Thanks.

Finally, I booked through Priceline. This is one of those trips where if we didn't get a deal, we would go somewhere else, but we did sooooo...has anyone ever gotten the elusive upgrade to an oceanview from the standard PL room there? I have at other hotels using PL, but I don't know how rigid they are at Our Lucaya. We are Starwood preferred members but that doesn't necessarily count for anything with a Priceline reservation.

Thank you!

We want to
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 09:44 AM
caribtraveler

nina..both my husband and i enjoyed the food at "iries" at the resort. the food is caribbean at that restaurant.

Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:39 AM

We really enjoyed China Beach, the asian restuarant on the Our Lucaya property. It was expensive, but excellent. We also highly recommend La Dolce Vita, an Italian restaurant across the street in the Marketplace. We didn't discover this place until our last night but if we'd found it sooner we definitely would have returned.

Unfortunately I can't help you out with the other questions. We are Starwood members and booked directly through the hotel website and still didn't get an upgrade, so I doubt you'd get one via Priceline.

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 07:19 AM

Its been 2 years since we were at Our Lucaya, so this is a bit dated.
Rent a scooter and head out to Gold Rock beach, a really fun day trip and the beach is superb. There are many beaches along the way that were totally empty of people, really nice. I belive it is part of the Lucayan National Park, the cave across the road from the entrance is worth a look, crystal clear water with fish swiming around.
China beach is a great restaurant, but expensive. The chop house is excellent.
We complained about the construction noise (it really was loud) and were upgraded to a beautiful room with a huge terrace deck on the end of the hotel, really nice of them to do that for us.
Can you tell me what price you got through priceline, and how you were able to specify Our Lucaya? I would consider a trip back if I could get a good price.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

We paid $81 a night plus tax and service charge. You can't specify a hotel with Priceline, but since Our Lucaya is the ONLY resort priceline uses in Grand Bahama, that's what you will get.

However, you may get the Sheraton Our Lucaya instead of the Westin. We we're lucky. Oh yeah, we also got upgraded to an oceanview room, gratis. The hotel was only half full so maybe that was why?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:34 AM

Hi Nina-

We are going to Our Lucaya in July. We were thinking about using priceline but had some questions. We have used priceline in the past, but our circumstances are different this time. We are traveling with out baby, and just didn't know if we wanted a specific room.

While I know we cannot prefer either the Westin or the Sheraton, can you briefly tell me the differences between the properties. And, if you get one over the other is it a big deal? Is one much better than the other, honestly. We love Westins which was why we were contemplating just booking directly, but the cost savings is subtantial.

Also, how did you manage to swing the upgrade to the ocean view. What a score. Any tips are appreciated.

Finally, any overall tips, resturaunts, etc. would be helpful.

If you'd like to respond to me directly, that would be fine-- [email protected]

Thanks!
Mitch