PR/El Conquistador Hotel

Mar 2nd, 2011, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

PR/El Conquistador Hotel

Hello Fodorites, has anyone had any recent experiences at this hotel. I am told it is 4-5 stars and superior in every way? Please comment...need to book summer destination plan
Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:15 AM

Will be there shortly, for a quick stay.

Stayed there a few years ago, before it was a Waldorf-Astoria property and in the midst of a major overhaul. Even then, the public areas were spectacular (but the rooms definitely needed updating). If the updates were carried out, it is probably a 4* property.

Be aware that this is a HUGE property, with the amenities spread over a cliffside site (stairs, escalators, elevators and a funicular to get around). It can take a while to get around. Also, there is no on-site beach; you have to take a ferry to Palomino island
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:32 AM

Curious for an update on the property. We have reservations for April but feeling uneasy due to the negative reviews.
Jan 5th, 2012, 07:33 AM

I can report about my stay this past March (2011). Compared to my previous stay, now that the property is a Waldorf-Astoria and the updates have been completed, it's in good shape -- though this time around I only stayed one night before a sailing charter out of Fajardo. The common areas are spectacular, and the rooms are fresh and comfortable (at least in the Marina area, where we stayed).

My observations about the HUGENESS of the property remain. It takes a long time to get around, and that includes staff (such as room service). Nothing happens quickly due to the size of the resort and the sheer number of guests. Also, other than the staff, there is nothing particularly Puerto Rican about staying at El Con, and especially no Puerto Rican dining options on site.
Jan 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM

Thank you for the update. I am curious as to how you transferred from the airport to the hotel?
Jan 5th, 2012, 02:00 PM

ruwithme, we rented a car, so didn't take advantage of the El Con's shuttle.