Search

Golf on St Maarten

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 07:41 AM
suzanne

Golf on St Maarten

Our family is going to St. Maarten in Feb and I am wondering if the course is worth bringing clubs? Any info on course would be appreciated as husband and son are avid golfers.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:24 AM
x

Yes there are a couple golf courses at the hotels on the Dutch side but nothing great, so unless you're a golf addict you might want to skip it.<BR><BR>Why not post your question on Travel Talk Online (TTOL) or gobeach.com? TTOL deals exclusively with SXM and you'll find much more specific and accurate info there than you'll find here. Many of the people who post there live on SXM and can provide you with up-to-the-minute details.<BR><BR>(Now watch the Fodors brigade of anti-St. Martin crybabies come out of the woodwork.)<BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Joe

Go ahead and ask about golf on Travelalkonline, but be wary if you ask any other questions. TTOL is populated by a bunch of fanatics, many of whom travel exclusively to St. Martin to enjoy the clothing optional beaches. TTOL is also a censored board -- anything negative about St. Martin is immediately removed. So read it with a jaundiced eye. For unbiased opinions, stick with the other boards. But for golf, you should be okay with the fanatics. Enjoy!<BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Ken

What Mr. X forgot to tell you is be sure to visit the "Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises" section of traveltalkonline -- that's where the chief board nazi hangs out getting his jollies (when he's not deleting posts on the main board). <BR><BR>And keep in mind that your questions will be answered by swingers, in the '70's sense of the word. Groovy!<BR><BR>Do swingers golf???

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Barbara

lord, people, get a life. a legitimiate ? asked and you are all over it with nonsense.<BR>Suzanne, I will answer your question.There is only one golf course on the island and as far as I understand it is in pretty bad shape. most people would suggest to leave the clubs at home

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:21 AM
kim

are these comments for real, there is only 1 course on St. Maarten, its in pretty bad shape, but people still golf on it. thre is a dispute between land owners since the 1995 hurricanes. And you will get better trsponses from traveltalkonline, the comments about swingers, nudists are a joke, It is a close group on that board, but they do know there stuff in regards to st. Maarten

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 11:25 AM
chas

Suzanne,<BR><BR>Would have to agree with barbara and Kim. As an original member of the TTOL beta testing group, the board is comprised of a close group. But when you look at everyone who posts there it is comprised of a very wide audience.<BR><BR>Also, the vast majority of the people on that board register so you know who you are dealing with.<BR><BR>As for censoring or locking threads, they do it with justification. Why deal with the crap from people like Ken and Joe here who are not responding to your post, but just feel they have the right to stir up a little trouble.<BR><BR>These people tend to forget that there are no 1st amendment rights when it comes to these boards. The boards are not public domain, they are all private. So the owners have the right to patroll them however they wish.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 12:05 PM
BS Detector

Yeh, right. Board nazi Eric and his wife Carol are nudists who held a TTOL board party at a no-clothes-allowed bar. So don't give us the "swingers & nudists" is a joke BS. I was an original TravelTalk regular, before the "club" ruined it and had to create its own board. <BR><BR>And, Chuckie, please, figure it out. We're not talking burn-the-flag first amendment -- we're talking about an unbiased forum where negative posts are not deleted. Yes, that means we must put up with some garbage, but it's worth it. If I ask a question about a destination that I've never been to, I want to hear both pos and neg. But of course, the TTOL club only goes to SXM, so they don't ask questions about places they've never been. It's a pretty small world that doesn't extend beyond Orient Beach.<BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 12:27 PM
kim

Newsflash for those who do not know what they are talking about. And this is the problem wiht this forum, people like to make statements without any facts. TTOL (traveltalkonline.com) is not just a st. maarten website, if you took the time to check it out, there are several other forums, you can chat about the BVI's, USVI's, Jamaica, Cruises, and yes NUDE resorts, beaches and cruises!!! you can read old trip reports and keep up to date on hurricane information and even the war on terrorism!!! Though sometimes the SXM forum seems like Orient Beach is the only beach on SXM, if you took anytime to check out the site, it has a lot to offer, and being a seasoned travel to SXM most of the info is correct!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Doc Freud

Hey BS, either the batteries in your detector are running low or you need to point that thing at yourself.<BR><BR>The TTOL group may hold a party, but never at a "no clothes allowed bar". You're just a bit off on that, but I'm not going to tell you exactly where. You're probably too stupid to appreciate the truth anyway. A much more serious issue is why does this bother you so much? Were you beaten as a child or are you one of those "pee pee dirty" people?

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 02:39 PM
BS Detector

Doesn't bother me a bit, actually. I just like to call a spade a spade, and I don't like censorship. Why hide it if it's no big deal??? Why the sensitivity???

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Chas

Hey BS,<BR><BR>If you don't like hiding tell us who you really are. Got the brass ones for that? I doubt that!! <BR><BR>Just a troll!!!

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 06:31 AM
BS Detector

Oh, Chas, you cad! Do you want to contact me personally?!? Say it ain't so! I think I have the vapors - just the thought of you & your beer belly . . . . Better check your AARP membership to see if it'll cover you. <BR>

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Barbara

you knwo what? I hate censorship too. I think it can be a very dnagerous practice<BR>but looking at the posts in thes threads, I really understand why certai BB want to censor. what a waste of time having to read through the BS on this thread, which started with a simple question about a golf course

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Barbara

you know what? I hate censorship too. I think it can be a very dangerous practice<BR>but looking at the posts in thes threads, I really understand why certain BB want to censor. what a waste of time having to read through the BS on this thread, which started with a simple question about a golf course

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Chas

Barbara,<BR><BR>As usual, we are in agreement. Just wish at times, I could ignore the posts as much as you do.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Joyce

Suzanne:<BR>We do not take our clubs to St. Maartin because the course is not in good shape.<BR>Mullet Bay Resort is still in litigation over damage incurred during the hurricane five or six years ago. I think it is too bad that the government of St. Maartin doesn't put pressure on the owners of all properties involved to restore some of the most beautiful property on the island. I hope you will enjoy your visit to St. Maartin as we always do. Besides, golf clubs are heavy to juggle around with all of the luggage. Enjoy!