Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What's the Best Move? (july, $400/day inc. meals)

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Will Rhoades

My fiancee and I usually choose things with a bias toward intellectual/cultural stimulation vs. luxury and comfort, but our honeymoon is in July 2002 and this time it's going to be different. We're looking for as much pampering and relaxation as we can get. We'll be going mid-month and want to keep room and meal costs under $400 a day. Our idea of luxury doesn't include golf or tennis, or any frilly drinks or desserts. We're more reading/beach/spa treatment/light hiking types. Any ideas? <BR><BR>Thanks for your thoughts!

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 05:55 AM
honey

I have booked a trip to Beaches (www.beaches.com) Royal Plantation for my February vacation. It sounds like we look for the same things in a trip. It's supposed to be peaceful and quiet (no kids under 16 allowed) and the perfect way to relax. It's all-inclusive, plus I was able to get $500 in spa credit for my trip. Seeing that I only paid $1800 a person including airfare, that's a bargain.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Will Rhoades

Thanks Honey. I'll check out Beaches. I'm starting to get cold feet about July in the Caribbean, though. Could it turn out to miserably rainy?

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Penney

I was also going to suggest Beaches Royal Plantation - it is supposed to be really great - all rooms are suites, Sandals/Beaches service is wonderful and it has gotten rave reviews.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Penney

Forgot to mention - as far as the weather, we always go away in the summer months to the islands and we have never had a problem. Does rain each afternoon for a few minutes but you never even get out of the water. Beach/Sandals does offer the hurricane policy in the event that you get hit, they replace you vacation for free.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Chris

Will, you sound like someone looking for something casually elegant, rather than a big, splashy Beaches type of place. Check out The Caves, Rockhouse or The Jamaica Inn in Jamaica. Or, The Reefs,Ariel Sands or Cambridge beaches in Bermuda. Las Ventanas al Paraiso or La Palmilla in Los Cabos, Caneel Bay in St John, Horned Dorset Primavera in Puerto Rico. Hotel Villa Caletas in Costa Rica. Check out luxurylink.com for great options. Lots of wonderful places and not a "Beaches" or "Couples" type place in the bunch.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 05:10 AM
not

Beaches Royal Plantation is NOT big or splashy. There are only 80 guest rooms. It's not your typical Beaches/Sandals resort. Thank god, because lord know there's enough of those places.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Marnie

Grand Lido Sans Souci in Jamaica is a good choice. There are several spa treatments included in the price!<BR><BR>

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Lisa

Honey, could you please tell me where you were able to get a rate of only $1800/person? Are you going for 6 nights? That is a fabulous deal! As far as I can tell, the least expensive room is $400/night/person. At 6 nights, even with a 30% discount, it would still be much more than $1800/per person for the week, incl. airfare. And, as I understand it, you would have had to book an even more expensive room to get the $500 spa credit. Please let me know how you booked this property so that I can possibly take advantage of it too.<BR><BR>Thanks so much!