going to St. Maarten in June

May 21st, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

going to St. Maarten in June

We are going to St. Maarten in June and would welcome any information/advice on our trip. We have rented a house on the Dutch side. I have read that we need passports to cross to the French side and back. Is this true? Any advice on day trips to St. Barth, Anguilla, Prickly Pear, Pinell...which is the best? Any advice on grocery/liquor stores? Bringing a laptop computer...I read that you have to take it by IDL in Simpson Bay to get it programmmed.
Thanks!
May 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM

If you can, do the America's Cup 12 Metre challenge.

http://www.12metre.com/

It's an absolute blast!!
May 21st, 2006, 03:08 PM

You do not have to have passports to travel between the dutch side and the french side.
the best grocery store on the dutch side is le grand marche just outside philipsburg at the roundabout.
there also is a good super market in Cole Bay called Food Center... and Food Express in simpson Bay is a small but nicely stocked super market.

day trips..
Pinel: very nice..go to French Cul de sac..take one of the boats there. $5.00 round trip. a great beach to spend the day on. 2 nice restaurants to have lunch.
Anguilla: take the ferry from the waterfront in marigot. hire a taxi.go to shoal bay and have lunch. you do need a passport to go to angulla and get back in to the french side.
St. Barth's is nice too. there are several catamarans which offer full day trips.
your laptop computer should work just fine without having to be programmed.
there are free wi fi hot spots around..mostly in simpson bay.try shrimpys and sunset beach bar. there are others too. If you are going to be staying for any length of time, you might want to sign up for a month with IDl so you cn surf in your house.
enjoy!

May 21st, 2006, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Do you know about fishing licenses? I read somewhere that you don't have to have one to fish in St. Maarten on vacation. Thanks!
May 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM

no, you do not need a fishing license to fish in sxm.
if you are interested in deep sea fishing, I recommend chartering with Lee Halley.
http://www.leesfish.com/