Reload this Page >

Going to Cayman-any advice/suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:49 PM
Greg

Well, we finally decided on Grand Cayman (10 days, staying at Discovery Point-pretty good deal too, I think). Anyway, I was wondering about getting around the Island. Should I consider renting a car, or maybe just a scooter? Just one day? Are cabs reasonable? And how much should I expect to pay for diving trips. Any other words of wisdom? Thx.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:29 PM
Leigh

Greg, I can't give you any advice on how much cars are to rent. We stayed at Spanish Bay Reef two years ago and they had several jeeps that we could take out for like $7 a half day. They also supplied us with a Temp license for about $10. We were there in May so they werent busy and we were able to take the jeeps out by ourselves for the whole day. It was a great deal. We drove from Spanish Bay, through the city and all the way around the island ending up in Rum Point. On the way back we cut through and stopped at the Botanical Gardens. I would say you could rent a car for one day and see a lot. If you want to spend a lot of time at particular spots you may need to rent it for more than a day. I would highly reccomend it though! It was really fun to explore. <BR><BR>A car would be a lot safer than the scooter as well. Have heard a lot of bad things (and not just on the news) about them. We only took a cab one night and we split it with another couple, I think it was semi expensive though. Have a great time!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 02:56 AM
Sandy

Greg,<BR>You'll need to rent a car staying at Discovery Point. Very nice condos, but your on the northern end of 7MB and not within walking distance of most restaurants and shopping etc. Cabs can be very expensive, so just rent a car and then you'll have the freedom to go where you want on the island. Take at least one day to drive around and explore the whole island. Besides 7MB, you've got the east end and the north side (Rum Point area) that is worth checking out. There's snorkeling all over the island and if your a diver, you'll love diving the east end of GC. You should be able to rent a car for 10 days for less than $300 and that's money well spent.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:06 AM
amy

I'd rent a car. We enjoyed the turtle farm, stingray city, rum point & the blow holes, but thought Hell was lame. Our most memorable meal on the island was at Hemmingways.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:36 AM
cayman420

Greg,<BR>rent a car for sure, you will be gald you did. I just rented a suzuki jeep from Andy's and they quoted me 214.00 w/ a 20% discount on top of the regular rates so, about 189.00. I would not rent a scooter. It's nice to have a car and throw your snorkel gear, towels and a cooler and head out to discover the island. You can buy the cheap coolers down there at Fosters food fair. If you have a car, that will also give you the opportunity to throw tanks in the back of the jeep and do a few shore dives.<BR>I really think Sunset house has the best dive masters and uncrowded dive boats. Check out their website for rates.<BR>Sunset house also has great shore dives and a great little bar for rum punches after your dive. They just recently sank a bronze mermaid to dive around.<BR>Go to "Crows Nest" for dinner. Skip hell. Try "cracked conch by the sea " for drinks and dinner, they also have a nice shore dive infront to check out. It will save you money not paying for boat dives. You can e-mail cracked conch by the sea and make on line reservations. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions!!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:01 AM
Scott

Greg,<BR>The posts above that recommended renting a car are right on. You will definitely want a car staying on the north end of 7MB. To save a few bucks, you might want to consider renting the car for just 7 of the 10 days, and hanging at your resort the first couple days and just chilling out. We have been twice, both for 10 days, and thats what we always do. For diving, I had great luck with Divers Down, they are very professional, and only take a max of 8 divers per boat which is a blessing. This time of year, that number might even be less. I payed $100US for a two tank dive. You are really missing out if you don't dive one of the walls. We were unable to dive the famous north wall due to rough seas, but we dove a smaller wall off 7MB that was simply epic...DON'T miss this!! Best restaurants on the island are Smuggler's Cove & The Reef Grill....bar none!!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
Todd

Since you're staying along 7MB which has everything concentrated in a 5 mile long stretch, a good money saver is the public bus that runs along 7 Mile Beach to Georgetown (CI$2). It's an easy way to get to all the restaurants in Georgetown and 7MB with no worry about drinking and driving or parking. It will stop right at the door of any hotel or condo along 7MB, just flag down the minivans with the yellow or green sign on front. Then you could rent a car for just those days you really want to travel the island.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:48 PM
Greg

Thansk everyone. that is exacly the input that I am looking for. i will probably rent a car for 3-4 days. The bus is an excellent thing to know about as well. Thx.