Going to Bermuda in 3 days: HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are going to Bermuda this Friday for our first time to the island and our first trip without our husbands/children. We are staying at the Elbow Beach Hotel. We will only be there for three nights (2 1/2 days) and would like some recommendations for siteseeing. What would you suggest NOT missing. We want to see the BEST of this island while still having some time to relax. Thank you!
(If it helps, we are in our late 30's and are fairly active)
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:43 AM

St. George is a must. It is a World Heritage site with recreations of the original tiny ship that brought the first British settlers to Bermuda. During the summer, there are actors in costumed dress. One actress gets dunked every day. You can see the dunking stool and stockades.

You might want to stop at the Swizzle Inn, maker of Bermuda's famous cocktail. Swizzle Inn is just one stop before St. George.

You will probably devote one day exploring Hamilton. There is some good shopping there.

Elbow Beach is close to Horizons and Cottages. You might consider having dinner there. The food is quite good there.

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

I heard that there is a New Year's eve celebration at Hamilton Square (I think that's where) and they lower an onion at midnight. Anyone been to that? When we are out siteseeing in the towns, what clothes are appropriate? Are nice jeans ok or should I lean more toward Kahkis and dress pants? The temps are predicted to be in the low 70's.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Just make sure that you have transportation back to the hotel. When I was in Bermuda last July, there was very little bus service after dark. Also, it is nearly impossible to catch a cab late at night. Just check with the hotel before you leave about pre-arranging cab service.

As an alternative, Elbow Beach does have some decent nightclubs. Remember, that the clubs close at 3:00 am.

Also, be careful! There has been an increase in crime lately. While I was in Bermuda last summer, there was a homicide in Paget Parish which is where Elbow Beach is located. Two women alone could be an easy target for a criminal.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 03:14 AM

Young Bermudians wear jeans; but, in general you will find the dress a bit more formal than in the US. If you go out for the evening dress to impress.
There is thread on Trip Advisor's Bermuda forum about going out in BDA. It is worth a read, particularly the post by Bermy Man, a local.
Have a great time. I would love to be there to ring in the new year.